Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
New 69

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via AIM to New 69
Rev Limiter

Has anyone had any trouble with the Rev Limiter? How can you test to see if it's working? Please don't tell me to put it in neutral and floor it !!!
New 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
What has you questioning whether or not your rev limiter is working?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
gtwss
Time To Hammer Down

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 02 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by New 69 View Post
Has anyone had any trouble with the Rev Limiter? How can you test to see if it's working? Please don't tell me to put it in neutral and floor it !!!
No, put it in gear, and floor it What do you have A6 or M6

2SS, CGM, M6, Polished Wheels
6000 8/13/09
gtwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
New 69

The car is the SS - 426hp - 6 speed. Yes the question is how to test if it is working? Does the dealer have a computer to do this, cause my dealer says it doesn't. I'm meeting with the Area Manager later this week to find out what Chevrolet's take on this is
Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
I wouldn't think it is a good idea to rev an engine in park up to the red line without a load on the engine.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
My wife floored mine in neutral twice when I let her drive for the 1st time. Now she bitches 'cause I won't let her drive it again.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
fast orange
Account Suspended

Drives: 2003 Corvette, 2009 ChallengerSRT8
Quote:
The car is the SS - 426hp - 6 speed. Yes the question is how to test if it is working? Does the dealer have a computer to do this, cause my dealer says it doesn't. I'm meeting with the Area Manager later this week to find out what Chevrolet's take on this is
are you kidding? Just take it out and red line it
fast orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
big boss

Drives: Imp.blue, tuned,cold air,magfl,
new 69, I have the same type 426 plus, I took mine out , and floored that bad boy
and thats why I call him boss. chip, new exh.2.5,new intake. 150 plus.
big boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Unintentionally, I have hit the rev limiter in First gear twice, when I was getting used to the car. Yes it does work.

Definitely helps keep you from messing up your motor.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I know that mine works but I didn't test it on purpose. I installed a new CAI made by G5CR and on my first drive after install I floored it while I was making a right turn and the tires broke loose and in about 2 seconds the RPM's hit the red line and the engine shut down for a split second. I realized I had red lined the tach but fortunately the rev limiter kicked in and saved my stupid ass from doing any engine damage.

For the record, the CAI made a noticable difference in my car. I had never had the car shoot up the RPM's that fast while smoking the tires. Needless to say I was pretty impressed.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Hit my limiter a few times yesterday running Road Atlanta road course. Works well.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
New 69

Thanks for your comments, but my problem is - I bent the #4 intake and #2 was loose. Chevy fixed it after some back and forth " told me I abused the engine by over revving it" " My point - How can you over rev an engine with a Rev Limiter? " That's why I want to know if Chevy has some way of testing, I don't think mine is working, cause it sure didn't then. Thanks again for any help with this problem.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
Quote:
Thanks for your comments, but my problem is - I bent the #4 intake and #2 was loose. Chevy fixed it after some back and forth " told me I abused the engine by over revving it" " My point - How can you over rev an engine with a Rev Limiter? " That's why I want to know if Chevy has some way of testing, I don't think mine is working, cause it sure didn't then. Thanks again for any help with this problem.

You can over-rev the engine if you miss a shift. i.e. You select third instead of fifth on the way up or first instead of third on the way down while near the red-line. The limiter has to see the revs climbing in order to start limiting the fuel or timing or whatever method it uses. If it sees 7500 RPM all at once it doesn't have time to protect the engine. Did that happen to you? Having said that however, on other threads some owners claim to have missed shifts with apparently no damage.

Test your limiter by accelerating up to the red-line in first or second. Engine should cut out at or around the red-line. On the mustang, if you don't have a CAI/tune, the computor starts to limit torque as one approaches the limiter and you can actually feel the car slowing as you approach the red-line even before the limiter acts. With the tune it pulls strong right to the red-line.

Good luck with your warranty claim.

Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
I know that mine works but I didn't test it on purpose. I installed a new CAI made by G5CR and on my first drive after install I floored it while I was making a right turn and the tires broke loose and in about 2 seconds the RPM's hit the red line and the engine shut down for a split second. I realized I had red lined the tach but fortunately the rev limiter kicked in and saved my stupid ass from doing any engine damage.

For the record, the CAI made a noticable difference in my car. I had never had the car shoot up the RPM's that fast while smoking the tires. Needless to say I was pretty impressed.

Russ
Hi Russ.

Are you sure it was the rev-limiter and not the traction control? When you add too much throttle in a turn the tires will break loose, lose traction and you will spin-out. The T/C senses the extra speed of the spinning rear tires and limits the throttle by pulling timing or fuel and/or applying some rear brake even before you can react. This allows the tires to regain traction and, as you stated, saved your ass. Just kidding. LOL. This engine cut-out maybe is what you felt.

With these powerful cars don't use the throttle as an on/off switch. You have limited traction in a turn anyway as some or most of the traction is being used for cornering. Thus only a limited amount of traction is available for acceleration as you found out. Try feeding the throttle in gradually as you accelerate out of the corner.

Drive safe and have fun.
Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote