Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #5601
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I need to get wheels and tires, but until we find out about some lower control arms, I'm in limbo on that.

I hope I can borrow a set of 18s or 17s just for the fest.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #5602
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I need to get wheels and tires, but until we find out about some lower control arms, I'm in limbo on that.

I hope I can borrow a set of 18s or 17s just for the fest.
Just modify the stock ones. There are a few companies that have been saying for a year that they're making LCAs that will fit, but I've yet to see anything.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #5603
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Just modify the stock ones. There are a few companies that have been saying for a year that they're making LCAs that will fit, but I've yet to see anything.
Yeah, we've talked about that. But, my mechanic says he has a lead on a set that might let me put 15s on my car.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #5604
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Yeah, we've talked about that. But, my mechanic says he has a lead on a set that might let me put 15s on my car.
If you find them let us know. Everybody's talking about them, but so far that's all it's been...talk.

For 16s you have to go with V6 brakes...not sure what you'd have to do for smaller. I think I've read of one guy here on the forum that put 15s on, but I think he had to do some pretty heavy modifications.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #5605
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
dude, let me just say. I now know what is beyond, "next level"

The really scary part is... there is so much more.....

This. you know how you have second thoughts about walking by a sleeping dog that you don't know....

I had that same feeling parking next to SST... Like it was gonna wake up and bark at us...

Bruce I had a blast.

Here's the best way I can sum it up...

First off. Knowing what I know about the car... I wasn't kidding about thinking twice, when parking next to it... even looking nearly stock from the outside. when you know the story behind SST... and what it is capable of... I felt... intimidated.

It's just a car right?

Uhm... NO... there is nothing "just a car" about it...

I think my boss said it best. Even standing next to it you get the sense that the car is all business...

And when you get in... You KNOW it's all business...

Bruce isn't kidding when he talks about all the sounds... fuel pumps, hydraulics, fans.. All give you the feeling that there is something more going on beneath the surface of the exhaust note and the stock appearance.

The interior really doesn't jump out at you. Looks like a standard 1SS... The shifter is the first thing I noticed... and again... There's nothing sexy about it... it's just all business...

The cage is so tight, I was surprised at how well in blended in... if it weren't for the net tab, you'd probably never notice it unless you were looking for it.

and the engine... there just isn't much to say... Pictures don't do the metal work justice. The intake is a work of art...

Bruce explains the details in such a way that a child can understand it. Nothing in the engine bay is for show. everything has a purpose, or a reason.
Not a single piece is random...

We head out to lunch I let my boss have the first ride....

Bruce's business partner got in we me and we're off.

*The next part of the story is censored to due to rules of camaro5*

So we get to the restaurant and my boss is grinning ear to ear. (he drives an 07 CTSV) He's just shaking his head as he gets out....

we eat, talk cars some more...

MY TURN!!!!

So we get in... and he's going throught the whole thing with me... I was doing ok until he started getting in to the details of the transmission... All I can say it... I didn't quite grasp everything that was going on... It would take me a year to learn everything he can do to configure all the different settings on SST...

So we head back to his office and we're just putting along. I'm surprised at how streetable it is... Bruce explains that the car is dialed way down... Tom has it running super rich there's a ton of delay in the turbos and the tranny to soften the blow... and it's limited to 8 pounds of boost, with the rev limmiter set way down to 7400... Which bruce thinks equals about 850 to the wheels... yeah... you read that right... running rich, 8 pound, and rev limited to 7400 and that nets 850 to the tires...

My maggie will jerk you into the seat and keep you there. but it doesn't really keep pushing...

As it's currently tuned, SST kinda nudges you into the seat... and then like a sumo wrestler keeps pushing you further and further back the longer he keeps his foot on the G-force pedal...

It revs so fast... I couldn't even guess how fast we were going... Short shifting we were easily going faster than what THR22 can do in the same distance.... easily... Not that I expected it to be even close to my car... but that's all I have to compare...

Bottom line... As nannied down as it is now I probably have even more respect for SST... to think that 15 pounds of boost is very safe... 7400 RPM is very safe, and it's running real rich... I honestly don't understand what the car is capable of.

I could tell Bruce was very temped to dial up the boost to give me a better sample of what's really going on with the SST... But to hear him tell the stories of how quickly the tires flywheel, and how there's not a lot of warning... Basically, anything over 10 psi equals no traction in any gear... it just blows the tires off the road and it's like driving on ice. So until he gets the forgelines and DR's on there, I'm glad he played it safe...

Bruce explained to me all the work he has to do to truly dial the car in...

But. even as "mild" as the car is now... There is no doubt that he is loving every minute of it. I think he loves talking about it as much as he does driving it.

Something you guys should know about Bruce.

Bruce gave me a ton of advice when we were setting up the first fest...

We hit a rough spot and thought we were going to have to cancel it...

Bruce asked me some tough questions and helped me gain back my confidence when we were at a critical point in our decision. I'm so glad he did. Sometime in the middle of the day he walks up to me, Hand out to shake my hand... All he said was, "you guys pulled it off."

To this day I think Bruce knew then what Camaro5 would become, what the Fest would become. Just like he knew what his car would become.

Bruce, I absolutely can't wait to watch SST hit all the milestones you have planned...

Guys, as much fun as it was watching this car get built... My guess is the real fun is about to start...

Bruce. Thanks for the ride, and thanks for everything you've given to the site and our members.

I am lucky to know you.

I am now officially jealous
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #5606
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Hey, sorry guys. Have been out of communication since 7/11.

Russ-

Incredible Sigs. The first one is really awesome. I have almost no bandwidth here so the reply will be short until higher bandwidth is found. But I did want to hop on and say Thank You... Very, very cool...
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #5607
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home

Safe journey out of that hostile environment... what are you doing in Brazil?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #5608
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Hey, sorry guys. Have been out of communication since 7/11.

Russ-

Incredible Sigs. The first one is really awesome. I have almost no bandwidth here so the reply will be short until higher bandwidth is found. But I did want to hop on and say Thank You... Very, very cool...
No problem. I liked that one as well...just figured I'd give you a couple of options. Have a safe trip!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #5609
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Putting it to the ground is about three things.

1) Tires
2) Tires
3) Tires

Since he's tubbed the vehicle he can put a 335 slick on it. I'm sure he'll go with the smallest wheel diameter he can to get a tall sidewall tire. He can also adjust the bound and rebound on his coil overs to put as much weight as possible on the rear tires.
Suspension and gearing has a little bit to do with it also.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #5610
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Suspension and gearing has a little bit to do with it also.
Correct...which is why I talked about his gears and adjusting his coilovers.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #5611
dkg11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
im not gonna lie this is the most annoying thread on this website...all i want to see is the final results...anybody with a page# ive been going through up to 50 and gave up
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
dkg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #5612
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg11 View Post
im not gonna lie this is the most annoying thread on this website...all i want to see is the final results...anybody with a page# ive been going through up to 50 and gave up
Try YouTube. SST Camaro Nelson 1500.
28 minute documentary gives a lot of info.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #5613
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg11 View Post
This thread took out shunt for top billing a long time ago
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #5614
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
FREE LUNCH this Thursday on SSE 4 2SS (Rob) while Brandie gets her nails done.

HANGAR HOTEL
155 AIRPORT RD
FREDERICKSBURG, TX 78624
830-997-9990

Noon this Thursday.

What the heck, The Diner does to go orders. Feed the family on Rob.

Isn't Rob a great guy?

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo