Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Yako

Drives: Camaro SS
Teaching someone to drive stick. Not going well..

So as I said my SO got a Camaro SS and they got a stick because it made sense. Better fuel econ, good to know how to drive stick and it was a good deal. Well, things are not going so well and I feel awful because I said the car made more sense in stick mostly because of fuel econ. Now they are talking about selling the car after only a few days of having it because they keep stalling out. The person that had it before us disabled the hill assist which is not helping. I personally know how to drive stick and learned on an LS1 myself.

I really don't know what to do. I see their left leg shake a ton when they use the clutch. I remember having the same problem because when you first learn your leg is weak to those motions.
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
even though driving a stick is easy for most some just can't get the hang of it, time will tell
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
even though driving a stick is easy for most some just can't get the hang of it, time will tell
Well, I am going to feel like shit if my SO can't learn stick on a car I advised them to get.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Not tooting my own horn.

The way I was taught was easy and simple to memorize and get the hang of, so I put it in a vid to help out those who may need a little insight. The easier it is for any of us to muscle memorize whatever it is we are trying to do and to get it to feel as natural as we can, the better chance we have at succeeding at whatever it is to do.I taught my mother who has never driven a stick in her life, to do it in less than 5 mins. Once you get all the technical stuff out of the way and just try to do it with the simple basics, it tends to be a lot easier to comprehend. Visuals dont hurt either. The vid is just for those who may want a few tips and visuals to go along with it.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I taught myself how to drive stick on this camaro. At first u might feel regret of buying it but they will get a hang of it. I just watched a couple YouTube videos and new fully the theory of driving manual. That is key. And left leg shaking? Really it's a pedal not leg press. Also in these new cars fuel economy won't be improved with manual transmission.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
bluebonn
Texas

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot LS3
Iv'e had that issue for the past couple of days since it has been awhile since I have driven a stick. best advice just hang in there and don't use to much pressure on the clutch if the legs are shaking.

My daughter said Daddy I think there is something wrong with your new car and we need to take it back as I was stalling out taking off lol
Old 06-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
AKA chaoss

Drives: 2015 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
Well, I am going to feel like shit if my SO can't learn stick on a car I advised them to get.

If they give up that easily it's not your fault.
AKA chaoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonn View Post
Iv'e had that issue for the past couple of days since it has been awhile since I have driven a stick. best advice just hang in there and don't use to much pressure on the clutch if the legs are shaking.

My daughter said Daddy I think there is something wrong with your new car and we need to take it back as I was stalling out taking off lol
I feel your pain. I hadn't driven a stick in over a decade in a car and got Bee from the dealership and killed it almost 50 times on the way home, because I was so out of touch and use to driving a stick in a truck.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
just tell them to give it some time, most likely they'll get the hang of it.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I taught myself how to drive stick on this camaro. At first u might feel regret of buying it but they will get a hang of it. I just watched a couple YouTube videos and new fully the theory of driving manual. That is key. And left leg shaking? Really it's a pedal not leg press. Also in these new cars fuel economy won't be improved with manual transmission.
Wow, brave man...

I've been driving stick since I learned to drive. My first ride was a little nissan pick up truck. Learned to drive stick on that in my teens. I then purchased an automatic '95 Z28 after I joined the service. Last automatic I ever owned. Next ride was a '99 Z28 6-speed LS1. That was my baby till It was gone. Went through a rough patch early last decade and was driving a 1978 Celica that I beat to sh&t. Came back, then my work supplied me with a Pickup Truck that I'm still driving, over 8yrs later. Yes, an automatic, No not mine. Next ride was this ride and my dream ride - obviously had to be stick.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Yako

Not sure if the last owner disable hill assist but it does not appear to be working. Think enabling it again will help someone learning. I have it on my car but it works much better than Chevy hill assist and I love it
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Maybe you can find a car with less power for her to learn on? I actually learned on a lawn tractor.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
just tell the SO more throttle leave the traction control on and ease out the clutch @ 3 grand lol Good luck tell them to stay with it you don't need much clutch after 1st gear just a tap when you shift. I know not much help but I feel your pain.
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #14
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Sold my lil PT Cruiser to a co-worker who bought it for his 18 year old daughter. Funny how someone can pick up on stick real quick when it's what Dad said she's gonna drive, lol. Her Dad said she had it pretty much figured out the first time she drove it.

I gotta say, though, the 8-speed slush box in my Grand Cherokee is so sweet!