Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
springer03

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1lt BRM
Exhaust size

I am looking at cat back exhausts and was wondering if the size (2.25 vs 2.5) makes any difference at all?

Would the 2.5 help it breath any better with hfc's, cai and ported throttle body?
springer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
No difference on size.

Yes to your other questions. See me mods listed below.

Biggest difference was the TB & CAI combo. Best bang for the buck combo for our LFX engines.

Nice color btw!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
springer03

Thanks. I was just wondering if after adding the other parts if the larger pipe would make any difference expelling the extra air that was being taken in.

I do love the color.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
springer03

Sorry, I'm still a little confused. I'll try to be clearer with my question. I'm getting ready to add full bolt ons(cai, ported throttle body and, hfc's and cat back exhaust.

Now, considering there will be increased air flow coming in through the cai, ported throttle body and hfc's, would a 2.5 inch pipe(Corsa or Ark dts) be more beneficial/efficient at expelling the extra air than a 2.25 inch pipe(Solo)?

Would there be a small difference, or none at all?

I've been driving myself crazy trying to narrow it down between those 3 exhausts.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
vong

Drives: Hazard Yellow Holden VE SV6
There is a bit of a difference in size. 2.25" will have a bit more pull in the lower rpm range whereas 2.5" will have more pull in the higher rpm range. I guess your camaro's already come in 2.25" which is the same as our commodores and most people think the 2.25" is the perfect size for the 3.6L.

Seeing as your stock exhaust is basically a straight through system bar the rear mufflers, if I were you I'd just remove the H pipe, add a resonated X pipe and some aftermarket rear mufflers. But if you're after something super loud then just replace the H pipe with an X pipe and just get aftermarket rears.
vong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer03 View Post
Thanks. I was just wondering if after adding the other parts if the larger pipe would make any difference expelling the extra air that was being taken in.

I do love the color.
Even with full bolt-ons you are not flowing enough air that going to a larger diameter cat back will make any difference. You won't need to worry about that unless you get into forced induction.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
springer03

Thanks. That's exactly what I was wondering. I was leaning towards the Solo from the sound clips I've been listening to. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving anything up.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer03 View Post
Thanks. That's exactly what I was wondering. I was leaning towards the Solo from the sound clips I've been listening to. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving anything up.
Not at all. The Solo HFCs will give you a nice bump in power and sound.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote