Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #43
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Hey everyone.

I ran in an Autox today and didn't do too well. I had a heck of a time against the FWD/AWD guys in the novice class...

Fastest times were about 52 seconds in all classes. I had a 55.00 in NESP and finished 4 out of 5... The second heat had golfball to baseball sized chunks of asphalt pop up in between some of the sections on the far end of the course. This was unfair and I asked if they would stop to brush it out of the way but they said we had only 2 runs left and to just "avoid" it... =\ SO I did and I bet I could have shaved another .5 sec at least if I didn't have to "avoid" that crap. Oh well.

The car felt fine as long as I was smooth and easy on the inputs. Here is a vid taken by my amazing gf. Cameragirl of the year.

I ran 18F/22R on the XAs, it felt good
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #44
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
had no luck launching with any real rpm at track with a 25 rear setting, i believe the rear is way to stiff and won,t squat fast enough and actually causes me wheelhop..gonna lighten rear around 15 and give it a shot again,,, and yes, i have about every possible suspension part known to mankind..also will be dumping the dr,s after a couple runs and going to some slicks..
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #45
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
had no luck launching with any real rpm at track with a 25 rear setting, i believe the rear is way to stiff and won,t squat fast enough and actually causes me wheelhop..gonna lighten rear around 15 and give it a shot again,,, and yes, i have about every possible suspension part known to mankind..also will be dumping the dr,s after a couple runs and going to some slicks..
Which coilovers do you have?

I tried 0f/25r last time I was out and kind of had a hard time launching as well. Someone else suggested 3f/20r and I'm going to give that one a try next time.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #46
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
What are your rear camber/toe settings at?
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #47
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Mike, 10 clicks is a big change. If your camber and toe are good I wouldn't go more than 5 clicks. too much squat an you will end up with alot of camber and have a smaller contact patxh. The softer setting may make the wheelhop worse. A bias-ply tire will make a huge difference tho.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #48
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Which coilovers do you have?

I tried 0f/25r last time I was out and kind of had a hard time launching as well. Someone else suggested 3f/20r and I'm going to give that one a try next time.
I would suggest 0-2 Front and 18-20 Rear one street tires. You want the rear to stay ask close to solid as possible and you want the front to lift for weight transfer. As stated in an IRS application it is important to keep the rear camber and toe as close to zero as possible for the largest contact patch. You can also disconnect the front sway bar by removing an endlink bolt from 1 side; this promotes good lift.

What tire pressures are you guys running? If the track conditions are excellent you can go up in the rear making small adjustments. It is important to remember you have adjustable suspension to help you dial the car in for different track conditions and tire choices.

It is all about experimenting and finding the best combination for your vehicle and track conditions. The suggestions I've made are general starting points that have been proven successful in our testing. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. Good luck!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #49
mikepage0007

originally was around -6 on rear but really wore my inside tires.. raised car back up a little to get more positive as we were fully out of adjustment and could not adjust anymore positive without bringing car up ..we settled for about 1 3/8 drop and -1 camber, toe is good..been running about 3/27...leaning toward going 3/20 and see where that puts me..running 17inch bogarts on mt dr,s, @ 640rwhp...m6 is a bitch to launch, and need it to squat...def hoosiers are in the picture, just wanted to see if i can get these to bite..if i launch at 1100 rpm , like a stop sign launch - no problem, but try and get a little aggressive 2k rpm launch and forget about it...wheelhop and spin...i have 1 good launch out of 15 that the car really squated and bit thru 1st and 2nd...but have not been able to duplicate yet..and that was on -6 camber..running 17lbs air, am gonna drop to 15 psi next ime out and yes , i have line lock , so these tires are def heated up...do you think that raising car up in rear could be a BIG factor in squating and hooking???
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #50
Squintz Palladoris

You don't really want the car to squat. If it squats when the weight is transferred then most of the weight (and energy from the transfer) goes to the rear suspension and not the tires. Yes the weight ends up transferred to the rear tires but the energy from the transfer is lost and the tire looses traction if it does not recieve the right amount of energy fast enough.
With less squat more of the weight transfer goes to the tires with less being absorbed by the suspension.

Also, the kinetic energy from a heavy flywheel and a hard hitting clutch will make things alot harder on traction. If and when the traction comes up then those 2 will play a factor in finding the weak link in the drivetrain.

I'm not a rocket scientologist so if I am way off base here, please, someone correct me.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #51
mikepage0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
You don't really want the car to squat. If it squats when the weight is transferred then most of the weight (and energy from the transfer) goes to the rear suspension and not the tires. Yes the weight ends up transferred to the rear tires but the energy from the transfer is lost and the tire looses traction if it does not recieve the right amount of energy fast enough.
With less squat more of the weight transfer goes to the tires with less being absorbed by the suspension.

Also, the kinetic energy from a heavy flywheel and a hard hitting clutch will make things alot harder on traction. If and when the traction comes up then those 2 will play a factor in finding the weak link in the drivetrain.

I'm not a rocket scientologist so if I am way off base here, please, someone correct me.
my driveline is about as solid as it can be,,, i have powered thru more then 1 wheelhop...with the twin disc clutch, 9inch and chromoly dshaft it def can take some abuse..but i would think withe the weight shift transfer that might put more pressure to the tires...there must be a dozen ways to look at this...all i know th at i should be able to hook some heated up 17psi dr,s on a prepped track with more then 1100 launch...finding the best way seems to be difficult...have seen stock height cars have better luck, so it could be the height factor,..but 15-20 runs on these settings have not yielded much positive results..someone asked earlier, running the xa coilovers
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #52
mikepage0007

i understand what you are saying, but i think if you don,t get the weight transfer due to the stiffness of the suspension, there will be no weight shift or very little, even though the front are near zero...the car dropped with such stiffness set in dampening , i believe really limits weight transfer..
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #53
mikepage0007

ran this weekend with some guys with hoosiers on stock suspension...now i believe the hoosiers def help, but my car launching looks like it is sitting still...i want to look like this...and jamie did run on 18inch drs and still looked very similar on launch
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #54
Squintz Palladoris

Quote:
my driveline is about as solid as it can be,,, i have powered thru more then 1 wheelhop...with the twin disc clutch, 9inch and chromoly dshaft it def can take some abuse..but i would think withe the weight shift transfer that might put more pressure to the tires...there must be a dozen ways to look at this...all i know th at i should be able to hook some heated up 17psi dr,s on a prepped track with more then 1100 launch...finding the best way seems to be difficult...have seen stock height cars have better luck, so it could be the height factor,..but 15-20 runs on these settings have not yielded much positive results..someone asked earlier, running the xa coilovers

I know you have a good drivetrain wasn't saying that you didn't. DR's on a 4000lb IRS car + High HP and Torque x Instant power from a dual disc non adjustable clutch = a hard combo to get working on the drag strip. I think the best thing you can do will be to get on a bias ply slick. I do think bringing the ride height up will help you out. But trying to make the car squat will take you in the wrong direction. BTW wheel hop can hurt a "Bullet Proof" drivetrain so if you feel it I would advise to let out.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #55
Squintz Palladoris

Quote:
ran this weekend with some guys with hoosiers on stock suspension...now i believe the hoosiers def help, but my car launching looks like it is sitting still...i want to look like this...and jamie did run on 18inch drs and still looked very similar on launch
What trans is in the car in this picture? Do you have a pic of the same car sitting still?

*Edit*
Is this the same car?

Last edited by Squintz Palladoris; 10-13-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #56
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
pardon me if this has been said already,

What do you have done to the rear suspension?
What rate rear coils are installed if they are Pedders Coilovers?
Do you have the Pedders rear bolt kit installed?
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote