Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #29
brian6string

Drives: Red 2010 Camaro 2SS
Just a quick post for anyone else having this issue. Thanks to all above who posted repair info. I was able to do this repair, as described above, without removing the seat at all. In my case, removing the seat was just not happening. Mine is a 2010, I'm the original owner and have never removed the seats. No luck getting the torx bolts out. But honestly, it was just as easy to do this with the seat in place, so here's how it went for me, maybe someone else will find this helpful.

Go into the back seat. Fold the front drivers side seat forward. On the back of your drivers seat, near the bottom, you can pull out a tab on the left and right edge of the seat....the tabs are about 4" long. Reach up ther and pull the tail of the zipper that you can see that goes up towards the top of the seat back. Unzip each zipper. Now the middle section is similarly held in place with a tab, the easiest thing is to slide it out to the side, either side. You can now lift up the middle section exposing the seat interior foam. Near the bottom, in the center, you'll see two wires going into the seat back, a blue and a pink or red one. If you have the same problem as everyone else here, you should be able to pull the red wire thru the whole because it is broken.

Now, with a little gentle pushing, you can work the bottom tab from the seat thru to the front side of the seat. It may help to get out of the back seat and recline the seat a little. Once you've pushed that thru, pull it up and you can see where the red and blue wires attach to the seat warmer. They used hot glue or such to close up the felt here so you may need to peel it apart to get to the other end of your broken red wire. Use your fingers to do this, a sharp tool risks damaging the wires further or the warmer itself. Once you've fished out the broken wire, you basically need to splice in a new piece of wire from this side, then attach the other end to the red wire in the back of the seat. Put the seat back together in revers of how you took it apart, and you're done. Took me less than an hour, once I cracked the code of how the upholstery is fastened together.
brian6string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #30
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I did this yesterday, as I was having a problem with my driver seat not heating up. I found the pinched pink wire near the element. I soldered both wires, blue and pink, and now I get heat in my seat. Here is the problem: only the bottom works with no heat in the backrest. Any ideas Camaro5 fam.?
Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #31
StlRomAniaN

Quick bump.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #32
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Yep two friggin Inches from the heater matte, had to take half the seat apart to get to it, both the wire had broke.
Stripped the wires and solderd them back together.
Worked get now.

Love this web site, you can about find anything on it to fix, modify or even how to clean your Camaro.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #33
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
I did this yesterday, as I was having a problem with my driver seat not heating up. I found the pinched pink wire near the element. I soldered both wires, blue and pink, and now I get heat in my seat. Here is the problem: only the bottom works with no heat in the backrest. Any ideas Camaro5 fam.?
check that you plugged it back in, plus the heat matte in the back may be bad.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #34
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
check that you plugged it back in, plus the heat matte in the back may be bad.

I ended up buying a new heating element. So much easier and relatively cheap. Plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 AM   #35
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
I ended up buying a new heating element. So much easier and relatively cheap. Plug and play.

Part nbr please.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #36
IlikeMyCamaro

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6string View Post
Just a quick post for anyone else having this issue. Thanks to all above who posted repair info. I was able to do this repair, as described above, without removing the seat at all. In my case, removing the seat was just not happening. Mine is a 2010, I'm the original owner and have never removed the seats. No luck getting the torx bolts out. But honestly, it was just as easy to do this with the seat in place, so here's how it went for me, maybe someone else will find this helpful.

Go into the back seat. Fold the front drivers side seat forward. On the back of your drivers seat, near the bottom, you can pull out a tab on the left and right edge of the seat....the tabs are about 4" long. Reach up ther and pull the tail of the zipper that you can see that goes up towards the top of the seat back. Unzip each zipper. Now the middle section is similarly held in place with a tab, the easiest thing is to slide it out to the side, either side. You can now lift up the middle section exposing the seat interior foam. Near the bottom, in the center, you'll see two wires going into the seat back, a blue and a pink or red one. If you have the same problem as everyone else here, you should be able to pull the red wire thru the whole because it is broken.

Now, with a little gentle pushing, you can work the bottom tab from the seat thru to the front side of the seat. It may help to get out of the back seat and recline the seat a little. Once you've pushed that thru, pull it up and you can see where the red and blue wires attach to the seat warmer. They used hot glue or such to close up the felt here so you may need to peel it apart to get to the other end of your broken red wire. Use your fingers to do this, a sharp tool risks damaging the wires further or the warmer itself. Once you've fished out the broken wire, you basically need to splice in a new piece of wire from this side, then attach the other end to the red wire in the back of the seat. Put the seat back together in revers of how you took it apart, and you're done. Took me less than an hour, once I cracked the code of how the upholstery is fastened together.
Hey I ran into a problem with my drivers side heated seats recently too and this information without having to take out the actual seat itself was extremely useful and saved me a lot of time!

Gotta love this forum for all its great info and help!
IlikeMyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #37
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6string View Post

Seems to me this is a common problem and should be recalled? I have a 2010 and just learned now that my drivers side heated seat does not work. Jeez. I will try to tackle this myself whenever I find the time. Otherwise, off to the dealership it goes.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #38
SpikesRS

Drives: 2010 2LT
Thanks for the thread
Fixed mine today, the pink wire was broken in half in the upper seat. I stripped the braided wire and soldered it. It took 30 minutes to fix, there is no need to remove the seat.

My bum shall be warm again...
SpikesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #39
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikesRS View Post
Thanks for the thread
Fixed mine today, the pink wire was broken in half in the upper seat. I stripped the braided wire and soldered it. It took 30 minutes to fix, there is no need to remove the seat.

My bum shall be warm again...

Thats great! I will try that when I have some free time.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #40
hplsromantic_90@yahoo.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Just did this today and fixed my passenger side. However, my drivers side still does the same thing. Any chance I screwed it up or the wire is broken elsewhere?

hplsromantic_90@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #41
paulsandhu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
wow I can't wait to try this! my car is way out of warranty and my GM dealer wanted a couple of hundred bucks to fix this.

Current Modifications:
  • Hurst Comp HardDrive Stick Kit
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
  • Anvil Carbon Fiber Notch Spoiler
  • Ceramic Coated Satin Black Wrap
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:58 AM   #42
Tommi

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual
I know this is old thread, but this helped me to fix the seat warmer in my 2010ss. Maybe 1hour work and no seat removal needed. Thanks guys for sharing the info!
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote