Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
2sharp

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Yeah .... I wouldn't under estimate the Mustang

I would......once the RPMS starting getting up there it runs outta gas...........but the LS3 power curve keeps pulling.
2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sharp View Post
There is no excuse that a Hyundai, Honda Civic, or whatever has IRS but not Fords best selling car.
True enough, but remember that the majority of those cars are FWD, it makes it much easier to equip it with IRS.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Im just playing devils advocate here....

We have heard from a few GM gurus that are CAMAROS are going to have great suspension........ but they are GM employees.....

I cant wait until all of the car mags get their hands on the car and do some good number crunching....

Then and only then we will be able to put this to rest....

IMHO......CAMARO is going to take on and beat anything in its class.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
2sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
True enough, but remember that the majority of those cars are FWD, it makes it much easier to equip it with IRS.
Very true.....I didnt even think about that. But at least they are willing to attempt to move forward, unlike Ford.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Im just playing devils advocate here....

We have heard from a few GM gurus that are CAMAROS are going to have great suspension........ but they are GM employees.....

I cant wait until all of the car mags get their hands on the car and do some good number crunching....

Then and only then we will be able to put this to rest....

IMHO......CAMARO is going to take on and beat anything in its class.

We've also heard unanimously from the car mags that tested the V6 that the Camaro's handling is definitely world class and they couldn't wait to get their hands on the SS.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
I would. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but even on a full race course, there is no comparing these two cars. Until Ford and it's pony step into the 21st century, it is going to get left behind on any track. The new Track Pack is a good first step, but they need to try and find a balance between a cheap fun car, and a serious competitor. Until they do, they will continue to outsell the competition (which I wager is the only thing they care about) and get embarassed in every standard of performance.
In a business perspective, Ford is in the business to make the money, and they have been very successful in doing that over the years. Ford cares about performance for its enthusiast market and has the GT500 and GT500KR available for those that want monster muscle car's.... I love the Camaro and will be buying one, however GM needs to expand its Camaro lineup to be similar to the Mustangs in price vs performance if it wants to survive...
Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
So the enthusiast market with Ford is limited to those who make six figure salaries? Come on man, be realistic. If you don't think that the Camaro is right with the Mustang in "price vs performance" then I really don't know what to tell you. A car I can have for $31k that is still on par with a car that is $42k (GT500) sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #22
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
In a business perspective, Ford is in the business to make the money, and they have been very successful in doing that over the years. Ford cares about performance for its enthusiast market and has the GT500 and GT500KR available for those that want monster muscle car's.... I love the Camaro and will be buying one, however GM needs to expand its Camaro lineup to be similar to the Mustangs in price vs performance if it wants to survive...
What the Heck are you talking about?!?!?! The Camaro beats the Mustang in fuel economy and Performance/Price!! OPEN YOUR EYES MAN!!! The Base V6 is only $655 more while having a better everyday ride (IRS) better fuel economy 18/29 mpg!!

EDIT: And the Gt-500KR is freaking $80,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #23
porcupinekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
What the Heck are you talking about?!?!?! The Camaro beats the Mustang in fuel economy and Performance/Price!! OPEN YOUR EYES MAN!!! The Base V6 is only $655 more while having a better everyday ride (IRS) better fuel economy 18/29 mpg!!

EDIT: And the Gt-500KR is freaking $80,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 2010 GT500 is not $80,000 like the 2009 GT500KR and boasts the same 540 HP and more chassis upgrades.The 2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe has a MSRP of $46,325, while the 2010 GT500 Convertible starts at $51,225.
Either way the 2010 Camaro SS will be an outstanding performance value and should outperform a trackpak equipt 2010 Mustang GT. It won't be long until there are numerous reviews out there and then we'll see.

Last edited by porcupinekiller; 03-16-2009 at 01:51 PM.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #24
2sharp

I think expanding the line-up includes more of a difference between the V6 and SS (cosmetically)..and of course a higher-performing model to "compete" with the GT500 ( although the numbers look pretty promising right now). Also, it's nice (but not necessary, obviously) to have the little perks like Navigation. Thats kinda my one concern is that visually the Camaro is a knockout.....albeit a bit a tad plain until you get into the SEMA models.....Or Jinx's creations!
Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
so the camaro is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil-eyes View Post
so im just about set to go after my SS

my cousin though has a GT500 and just to back mustang up says there aint no way a SS could take the GT with track package on the track. there are no official times but he says with the track package the mustang will be faster around the track because of weight advantage. but either way the Camaro wins in a straight and thats mostly what i care about. but i also do care about the twisties so does anyone have any ideas or a good guess which beast would win?

SO the your saying the STOCK camaro SS is better than the STOCK mustang. Put a suspension kit on the camaro from pedders then you can compare cars that have suspension packages on them. Until then just compare the stock cars. If you have to mod a car to compare it then you know the one your up against is better.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #26
porcupinekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
SO the your saying the STOCK camaro SS is better than the STOCK mustang. Put a suspension kit on the camaro from pedders then you can compare cars that have suspension packages on them. Until then just compare the stock cars. If you have to mod a car to compare it then you know the one your up against is better.
The track pak is a factory option for the 2010 Mustang just like the SS and option for the 2010 Camaro. Your statement makes no sense.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #27
porcupinekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
QUOTE=spd98;340251]I disagree somewhat. The mustang has higher skid pad numbers than any of the tests I have seen on the Camaro.

I'm sorry did I miss something? When did a test come out for the SS Camaro? I haven't seen any evidence that the Mustang will have better skid pad numbers? The best I've seen from the GT is .93g and the only spec we've gotten for the SS is from the Chevy webiste which states greater than .9g, which could mean anywhere from .91g - .99g, I'm thinking somewhere around .94g - .96g! But, until we get a test we won't know for sure. But to be fair you did say the SS will whoop the GT so you're mostly right!
.95 g and 0-60 in 4.9 sec. and 60mph to 0 in 108ft in this review for the 2010 Mustang GT. It's on page 2.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html
Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
I disagree somewhat. The mustang has higher skid pad numbers than any of the tests I have seen on the Camaro. That said I suspect the Camaro will still kill it because the car should be much more stable and planted feeling with the IRS. I think most drivers will find the Camaro easier and more comfortable to drive hard into the corners. The HP advantage and the wider powerband of the Camaro should also allow faster times comming off of corners while the brakes should allow faster entry times into the corners.

I'm sorry did I miss something? When did a test come out for the SS Camaro? I haven't seen any evidence that the Mustang will have better skid pad numbers? The best I've seen from the GT is .95g and the only spec we've gotten for the SS is from the Chevy webiste which states greater than .9g, which could mean anywhere from .91g - .99g, I'm thinking somewhere around .94g - .96g! But, until we get a test we won't know for sure. But to be fair you did say the SS will whoop the GT so you're mostly right!