Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
adamw135

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Power window stopped working

Hoping someone may have some advice for me. I've done some searching with no luck. I have a 2010 2LT if it matters...

My driver side power window stopped working. The motor makes a buzzing noise when the window tries to move (as the door is opened and closed) or when the button is pressed. But, there is no movement from the window (even when trying to help it along by hand).

Also, as odd as it sounds, a few days after the window stopped working the doors started to lock when trying to open the window. The doors will lock intermittently when pushing the window down button, but they always lock when the door is opened (as the window tries to open the 1/4" its supposed to when the door is opened). My initial thought was I had a shorted out motor, so I ordered a new regulator with motor from Rock auto. I pulled the door apart tonight and replaced the motor/regulator but no luck.

I'm hoping for a better answer but its looking to me like it needs a BCM? I prefer to repair stuff myself but I know the BCM will require a dealer reprogram so I might as well have them diagnose and replace it. Could I be missing something? If anyone has had this issue, or has ideas of what I may be able to do it would be appreciated! I'm not looking forward to a dealership visit!
adamw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
lurker

Drives: 2013 Challenger SXT Redline
Wouldn't explain the door locking, but I'd guess the windows are 'trainable'... probably addressed in the owner's manual. I've had the driver's window in two Fords quit working properly, and one of them was very similar to what you report. Other one just lost the 'auto up/down' feature.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
adamw135

Ok, I decided to go ahead and order a Body control module. I know it will need to be programmed at the dealer, but does anyone know if there a way I can replace it and drive it to them? Wondering if the car will even start before it is programmed.

Also, since I'll need them to program it anyways can it be programmed so daytime running lights don't come on? I hate DRLs... I know they can be turned off manually but I always forget.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw135 View Post
Ok, I decided to go ahead and order a Body control module. I know it will need to be programmed at the dealer, but does anyone know if there a way I can replace it and drive it to them? Wondering if the car will even start before it is programmed.

Also, since I'll need them to program it anyways can it be programmed so daytime running lights don't come on? I hate DRLs... I know they can be turned off manually but I always forget.
is it really cost effective to just go to the dealer and get it fixed?
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
adamw135

I'd prefer to not take it to a dealer because of the cost. But, if the BCM is the problem I don't think anyplace but the dealer can program it.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
I don't know if it can be done or not, but have you looked to see if the dealer can either order one pre-programed or pre-program one if you carry it in?
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
adamw135

I was told they have to have the car. I'd image is programmed thought the OBD port.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
are you sure its a bcm? sounds like a bad regulator to me. not sure I'd just be buying parts hoping I guessed right.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
adamw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
are you sure its a bcm? sounds like a bad regulator to me. not sure I'd just be buying parts hoping I guessed right.
I originally thought it was the regulator. I've already tried replacing the motor / regulator (came as an assembly) but the new one did the exact same thing. I don't know if it's the BCM, just a guess. I've ordered one and plan to drop the car off at the dealer Monday to let them diagnose it. If it is the BCM at least I'll have the part already. ($150 cheaper then buying it from the dealer parts dept) If that's not the problem it's returnable. I'll update this when I know what solves the problem. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
Man, I'm reminded of a guy I knew who DIY replaced his Caddy's computer because both his headlights went out, and he couldn't believe that two bulbs could have failed at the same time.

When it was all over, he had an extra computer, two new bulbs, and a $500 hole in his wallet.

Go t the dealer, quick!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
Culb

Drives: 2012 2LS
This is probably not helpful in any way whatsoever, but mine went out once in the drive thru making the same sound you said when trying to use it. I turned the car off and on and a few other things hoping that would fix it since it sounded like the motor was fine, but that didn't work. Then the next day it worked for no apparent reason, and has been fine ever since.
Culb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
adamw135

Just want to update this in case anyone has this issue in the future, however unlikely.

I dropped it off at the dealer Monday. They didn't get to working on out until Tuesday. After 4 days of diagnostic (including swapping the BCM with no luck) they were able to trace the problem to a broken ground wire in the A pillar. Apparently that was causing a strange power feed back to the BCM causing the issue with the window and door lock.

I got lucky since I can return the window regulator and BCM I bought. I'm only out the very fair labor cost the dealer charged me considering it took them days to diagnose.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Good show.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
SR71

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
I know this is an old post but I just wanted to thank you for coming back and posting the solution once you found it. I had the same problem and couldn't figure out what was going on at all. I searched Google and several forums before I found this lone post which solved my issue. Saved me a lot of headache.