Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Factory vs Dealer applied stripes

I posted a similar question in another thread, but I think the question deserves its own topic. I don't know how the stripes are applied at the factory, but I'm assuming that it's more or less an automated process that will apply the stripes very consistently. In other words, they're not going to be at all crooked or uneven, and they will be perfectly parallel to each other, always the exact same distance apart from car to car, and basically flawless.

But when it comes to dealership applied stripes, is there a foolproof process that guarantees even a mediocre or less skilled technician will be able to apply them perfectly?

I hate that only CGM or white stripes are applied at the factory. I really want black, considering I'm looking at a white or yellow car at this point. However, I'm skeptical that the dealership can apply the stripes with the same consistency as the factory operation. So believe it or not, I'm considering CGM stripes even though they're my second choice, simply because they're factory installed. Is that crazy thinking?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
I thought during the last IDL they said they were going to apply all of the Rally stripes at the factory now?
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
I thought during the last IDL they said they were going to apply all of the Rally stripes at the factory now?
No in the IDL they said that they are looking at expanding the colors that they do at factory in FUTURE MY's.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
TheStig
Tame Racing Driver

Drives: M3
Dealership will most likely be fail(as dealerships are almost always fail). Also, the stealership ones won't be covered under warranty like the GM applied ones will be
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
ss09

Drives: 65 Nova
now that iv seen the stripeing on the ss im not all that impressed... dont get me wrong it looks nice, but at this point i have figured out that if i have to question it i shouldnt do it... getting them painted on with a custom style is the safest bet for concerned stripers...
ss09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Dealership will most likely be fail(as dealerships are almost always fail). Also, the stealership ones won't be covered under warranty like the GM applied ones will be
If you buy the dealer installed colors at the time you purchase the car, they will have the exact same warranty as the factory installed stripes. And guess what, dealers have been installing vinyl decals/stripes for a long time. Its really not rocket science to install them correctly like everyone makes it out to be.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
If you buy the dealer installed colors at the time you purchase the car, they will have the exact same warranty as the factory installed stripes. And guess what, dealers have been installing vinyl decals/stripes for a long time. Its really not rocket science to install them correctly like everyone makes it out to be.
I'm not in any way saying it's rocket science. In fact, I have no doubt that many shadetree mechanics could apply them in their own garages.

My presumption really is that the factory is going to have a dedicated area and process where the striping happens, and there will be some templates or aids to help the installer consistently apply the stripes.

The process at the dealership, however, I would think would be quite different. Number one, most dealers are selling a handful of these cars right? And maybe half of them don't have stripes, or have factory-applied stripes. So, there's a good chance the technician will be applying them for the first time, with little or no experience.

I'm just being really anal about this, that's all... If a technician at the dealership installed the stripes and one was 1/4" crooked (not parallel to the other one), I wouldn't be able to live with that. It would drive me so crazy that I'd rather take them off.

As far as vinyl versus paint, I've had 3 Z28s with vinyl stripes: a 1974, 1980, and 1984. I never had any problem with any of them as far as peeling or fading. I washed and waxed over them like they were paint, and they looked perfect as long as I owned the cars.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote