Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Rocklage

Drives: Beast on loan from Hades.
Rear Diff Fluid and my Dealer

I asked today, he said we can put in any fluid you like but if its not from us, we have to document it for warranty reasons.

I'm getting close to 1k Miles, I just changed the oil sticking with Mobil 1 from them for a paper trail. But is it that advantageous to get some RP Synchromax in my rear end? or should I stick with GM fluid?

Doing the change at 2500 anyway. Tranny in between now and then or after.
Rocklage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklage View Post
I asked today, he said we can put in any fluid you like but if its not from us, we have to document it for warranty reasons.

I'm getting close to 1k Miles, I just changed the oil sticking with Mobil 1 from them for a paper trail. But is it that advantageous to get some RP Synchromax in my rear end? or should I stick with GM fluid?

Doing the change at 2500 anyway. Tranny in between now and then or after.
Use Royal Purple Max Gear in the differential, not synchromax.
RP Synchromax is for the transmission.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
Rocklage

Drives: Beast on loan from Hades.
Aye that's what I meant, real question though is it worth it to...
A. Use GM fluids
B. Use aftermarket and have dealer put it in
C. Go to a jiffylube and have them put in my aftermarket lube.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
You trusted GM to make the car but you do not trust the service schedual they have in the owners manual?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
68blk/yel396

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
You trusted GM to make the car but you do not trust the service schedual they have in the owners manual?
Yea I went with GM fluids..................per the manual, installed by my dealer..................it's a 2 part system and a little pricey..................but I wanted it documented. I didn't change mine until it was about 10K miles and it was very dirty...............so do it soon.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Royal Purple is not on GM's approved lubricant list. If you have a failure that is going to be covered under warranty, GM will test the lubricant. When it comes back that you was using a non-approved lubricant, GM will deny your warranty claim.

Only you can decide if doing this is worth it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Royal Purple is not on GM's approved lubricant list. If you have a failure that is going to be covered under warranty, GM will test the lubricant. When it comes back that you was using a non-approved lubricant, GM will deny your warranty claim.

Only you can decide if doing this is worth it.
I've never seen or heard of a dealer sending in a gear lube to be tested to see if it is an approved one.

If you want to use RP, throw it in there. The nice thing about the RP Max gear is it contains the LS additive. If you use the stuff from the dealer, the little additive bottle will need to be added. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. The dealer route will just cost more.

It's an easy DIY job, just one bottle of RP Max Gear 75w90, a drain plug, fill plug, squirt it in there. Done. Or pay a dealer 10X.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Dealers don't send in the lube to be tested, GM's service rep does before they approve the work.

Mobil1 75w-90 LS also contains the additive and is GM approved.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
Did mine at 1500 miles with RP in the trans m-6 and rear end which had so much crap on the plug it looked like a bad mushroom@ 1500 miles WTF? Kept the old fluid so IF I ever have an issue the MFGR fluids will go back in...RP improvement in shifting, Yes. Improvement in getup and go,Yes. Did I make the right choice?Yes learned it all on this site...so much info so little time and money. Been down this road before with a New 06 Trailblazer SS, 3 rearends, 6 fluid changes in 55,000 miles from the dealer and the last change "I" did RP and what an improvement. Made it 10,000 miles no problems before I traded in on a Camaro RS/SS. Still doing Mobil 1 in the motor
outlaw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Never heard of that happening. A customer is expected to wait for a gear lube lab analysis before a warranty repair? I was a tech for many years, never had anything like that happen. Car comes in, diagnose it, determine the cause, repair it, submit the claim, done. Why would a rep even be involved with that?

If a rear diff did have a failure, I highly doubt the brand of synthetic gear lube was the cause. I've done countless rear diff repairs, can't think of one that was caused by the brand of synthetic lube. Or that any one of those repairs required the rep to be involved. We had to get approval for complete engines and trans replacements, never had an issue with a diff repair. And never once told a customer they would have to wait for a lab analysis, that would be a good way to never sell that customer another car.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I run Mobil 1 fluids in everything. And yes, when you change the diff fluid, tons of shit is on the plug.

And I'm going to say no one is going to get denied for fluid choice. Come on people.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Dealers don't send in the lube to be tested, GM's service rep does before they approve the work.
Not even close to true. I was a GM service manager, and still know some factory reps.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Fruits of Labor

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS M6 RJT
I had my `04 Tahoe in for service today and asked the Service Advisor about having the rear differential fluid changed on Black Cherry (2011 2SS/RS M6 RJT coming up on 1500 miles) He said, "You shouldn`t have any concerns until about 10K or so." "Although the customer is always right. You want the fluid changed, they`ll change it with an approved fluid."

I told him, "I guess I`ve been reading too much stuff on the web." Kind of wish the Official Chevy folks on the site would pipe up and give us some definitive answers...
Fruits of Labor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Has anyone had a problem with warranty on a defective windshield washer pump denied because "GM Approved" windshield washer fluid was not used?
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote