Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Haze caused by Detailer

So I was washing my car on Tuesday to get rid of all the wonderful pollen that spring time brings.

I've gotten my washing process down to the point swirls are no longer an issue, and the whole detailer before waffle rag dry works great.

However, I"ve run into a problem. On Tuesday, after washing the car, I put it into the garage to dry it (~80F and pretty high humidity in the garage). As I sprayed the detailer on the car, and wiped it down with the waffle rag, a haze began to appear over the paint. It was much like an oily haze and would swirl around but would not be picked up.

I have been able to wipe it down with a second cobra waffle rag that I have, but it still remains faintly. What is the best way to remove this?

I wax the car with NXT 2.0 from Meguires and use the red bottled Meguires detailer spray. I've used this process of detailer (on top of the wax) before to dry the car with no hazing, however, the ambient air was much cooler and much less humid.

Is there a correlation there? Would humidity cause it? What could i do that would allow me to properly dry my car? Finally, whats the best way to remove this haze?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Yes this could be caused by environmental conditions. Was there dew outside?

I haven't used that version of Meguiar's Quick Detailer in a long time, but certain products can just not play nice when the weather conditions are just wrong.

As a side note, when was the last time you washed your towels and how do you wash them?
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Yes this could be caused by environmental conditions. Was there dew outside?

I haven't used that version of Meguiar's Quick Detailer in a long time, but certain products can just not play nice when the weather conditions are just wrong.

As a side note, when was the last time you washed your towels and how do you wash them?
It was the evening, after a almost 90F degree day with 60%+ humidity. Pulling into the garage, you could feel the water in the air. Dew came about 2 hours after I was done "drying".

I wash my towels every time after drying the car, per the instructions that Cobra provides with the package.

Do you know how i can remove the haze?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
It was the evening, after a almost 90F degree day with 60%+ humidity. Pulling into the garage, you could feel the water in the air. Dew came about 2 hours after I was done "drying".

I wash my towels every time after drying the car, per the instructions that Cobra provides with the package.

Do you know how i can remove the haze?
What soap are you using to wash them?

You can try "lightly" misting additional quick detailer on a panel (one spray per half a hood) and try buffing with a soft towel. If that doesn't work, rewash the car.

What car soap are you using? Did you notice the water beading on the surface after you rinsed it or was it laying kind of flat?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
What soap are you using to wash them?

You can try "lightly" misting additional quick detailer on a panel (one spray per half a hood) and try buffing with a soft towel. If that doesn't work, rewash the car.

What car soap are you using? Did you notice the water beading on the surface after you rinsed it or was it laying kind of flat?
As for the soap, its a light detergent (Purex) as Cobra requires. I can't remember off hand. No fabric softener.

As for the car soap, I use the Meguire's Car wash, the orange stuff. It works well in the past without any problem. I have 2 solid coats of wax on that car, water just beads up or races off the car (depending on the contour of course). I just put the second coat on last weekend.

Alright, I will put the car away this evening, let the body cool off and try to fix her up in the morning, otherwise, i will give her a good wash and see what I can do.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
My guess would just be heat/humidity.... detailing chemicals - specifically detail sprays and similar products tend to be highly susceptible to performance changes when the temps fall beyond the ideal range for use.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
The heat and humidity makes perfect sense. We're from the same area and we ran into this same problem a couple of days ago. It's been really humid here the past couple of days
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC1 View Post
The heat and humidity makes perfect sense. We're from the same area and we ran into this same problem a couple of days ago. It's been really humid here the past couple of days
What was your solution to get rid of the haze? Because I"d really like to fix the car up.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
What was your solution to get rid of the haze? Because I"d really like to fix the car up.
Any luck with just washing?

A lot of quick detailers are solvent based, they are meant to 'flash' off the paint to help produce a streak-free shine. When the environment doesn't play nice this can alter how the products 'flash' and produce streaks.

Usually a wipe down with the same detailer (using less product) with even slightly more favorable conditions will alleviate the issue. Rewashing will dilute the products on the paint that you are having a difficult time removing and usually cure it right away.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I'd like to chime in as I have recently experienced the same thing. I use all Adams products. I detail spray after every wash. I Use Adams soap. I noticed last wash hazing around the rear emblem and a spot on the rear side panel. It has been pretty hot and I try to keep the car in the shade as much as possible. Should I use some Dawn on the spots my next wash?

Last edited by butters; 06-24-2012 at 06:45 PM.
butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
If you use dawn and have any wax, it will strip it off the car.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote