Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #141
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Those of you who are defending this piece of *hit,take a look at post #73 and tell me how this is a good thing????????...........and remember, WE know how to drive a manual!

Last edited by cornerspeed92; 05-24-2013 at 08:03 PM.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #142
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
There has to be a harness that a resistor can get thrown into like the skip shift eliminators do...

I live in FL where it is relatively flat, I mainly run into HSA going up my driveway into my garage. It makes me look like a schmuck every time though.

The other day I almost wrecked trying to pull out of the BestBuy parking lot. It activated and I was so busy trying to overcome it I lost track of on coming traffic. There was a car coming and well when the HSA released I launched in front of a car fortunately for me and my son not to mention my Camaro SS 1LE the driver was alert enough to swerve out of the way.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #143
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Yep, this is an amazing device sigh.........!
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #144
Vee8Thunder

Drives: A Silver SUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
There has to be a harness that a resistor can get thrown into like the skip shift eliminators do...

I live in FL where it is relatively flat, I mainly run into HSA going up my driveway into my garage. It makes me look like a schmuck every time though.

The other day I almost wrecked trying to pull out of the BestBuy parking lot. It activated and I was so busy trying to overcome it I lost track of on coming traffic. There was a car coming and well when the HSA released I launched in front of a car fortunately for me and my son not to mention my Camaro SS 1LE the driver was alert enough to swerve out of the way.
This is exactly the type of experience that should be reported to the NHTSA.
'91 Camaro Z28 5.7L L98, G80/G92 Perf Axle Group. Damn I miss that car.
'94 Camaro Z28 5.7L LT1
Vee8Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #145
MPHS_AGM

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE AGM
Quote:
The accelerometer (yaw sensor) that controls this function appears to output a single data stream that contains the information. I was looking for a pitch output that could be isolated, but a serialized signal would require some other type of modification. Like reading the data stream, removing the pitch signal, and passing the modified signal the the brake controller. By the way the yaw sensor is part of the traction control systems, so it may cause serious issues if messed with. I would prefer the option to disable HSA easily.
2002 Z28 Navy Blue A4 [traded]
1996 Camaro V6 Black [traded]
MPHS_AGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #146
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHS_AGM View Post
The accelerometer (yaw sensor) that controls this function appears to output a single data stream that contains the information. I was looking for a pitch output that could be isolated, but a serialized signal would require some other type of modification. Like reading the data stream, removing the pitch signal, and passing the modified signal the the brake controller. By the way the yaw sensor is part of the traction control systems, so it may cause serious issues if messed with. I would prefer the option to disable HSA easily.

Well all that sounded complicated...

I'm sure someone way smarter than me will figure something out. Maybe you are the guy.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #147
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Well all that sounded complicated...

I'm sure someone way smarter than me will figure something out. Maybe you are the guy.
LOL

Well, I owe everyone an apology. I got my car on Thursday and HSA is already starting to kick my ass. I stalled twice on a big hill a few blocks away from the dealership, and once going up my driveway. This shit definitely sucks.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #148
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Been playing with this the last few days. I found that the experienced driver method of dealing with hills doesn't work. Try to bare with me as this is hard to explain.

I tried leaving on a hill with the usual blip of the throttle and a somewhat aggressive lift of the clutch like I have done for years when driving a manual. Almost stalled the engine.

Then I tried leaving as though I was on flat ground. A slight touch on the throttle and a slow gradual lift of the clutch. Pulled away like butter.

It seems as though us experienced manual drivers are just too fast for the system. I know it sounds crazy, but try pulling gently away as soon as the light changes. No anticipation of the HSA release point. No attempt to avoid rolling back. Just a normal flat ground in traffic low rpm launch. Let the torque get the car rolling and I think you will notice it as being less intrusive.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #149
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
Rather than defeating the electronics in this system, I wonder if we could stop the system from mechanically trapping the brake fluid pressure. If the electronic signal to trap pressure does not make it to the mechnical pressure trapping device, then the car will operate as if it has no HSA system. Maybe.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #150
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
Also, "newb", good point and description, this how I see this system operating also. Great if the driver is just normally pulling away, but I can see how this system can cause the engine to stumble or stall if the driver is trying to QUICKLY move off to, say, fit into a smaller than normal gap in heavy traffic.

A competent driver moving off quickly can easily beat the two second delay. Then we can have two opposing forces as the driver wants to move the car forward immediately, but the HSA system wants to hold the car in place for an additional second. The driver has to either wait for a larger gap in traffic to start off normally, or get off the brake a second or so before actually wanting to start forward quickly. I would rather just have control of the situation myself, hence the choice of manual transmission in the first place.

Come on Chevy, a way to disable HSA makes sense here and should have been available all along.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #151
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Been playing with this the last few days. I found that the experienced driver method of dealing with hills doesn't work. Try to bare with me as this is hard to explain.

I tried leaving on a hill with the usual blip of the throttle and a somewhat aggressive lift of the clutch like I have done for years when driving a manual. Almost stalled the engine.

Then I tried leaving as though I was on flat ground. A slight touch on the throttle and a slow gradual lift of the clutch. Pulled away like butter.

It seems as though us experienced manual drivers are just too fast for the system. I know it sounds crazy, but try pulling gently away as soon as the light changes. No anticipation of the HSA release point. No attempt to avoid rolling back. Just a normal flat ground in traffic low rpm launch. Let the torque get the car rolling and I think you will notice it as being less intrusive.
I've started to notice this as well...if I'm anticipating the HSA I'm more likely to stall or jerk the car forward. If I treat it like a normal start, I rarely ever have issues. I would like to see an option to turn it on/off though
Old 05-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #152
bandit4008

Drives: 2012 SS
So i have been working with the service department at the dealership where i bought my car. The HSA was new for 2013 and initially they had almost no information on how the system is supposed work. Since then, they have been in repeated contact with GM and they have been testing new cars on the lot as they rotate through. I get the impression that GM is less than helpful and at this time there is no way to totally disable the system. One thing they found with the testing was that there was there was quite a bit of variance from car to car in terms of what incline was required to activate the HSA. The only thing they can do is recalibrate the 0 incline. Based on this ,i suggested that we raise the front of the car a couple of degrees when we do the calibration. If this works, then at least the HSA won't come on uless you are on a really steep hill. I am going down the the dealership this Saturday to test this and will report back
bandit4008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #153
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
Damn thing got me again over the weekend. stopped on a slight hill where I needed to drive straight across the road. You have to be quick here because it is close to an overpass (hill blocks view of traffic coming from the right). I give a bit of throttle and ease off the clutch...not moving...not moving...more throttle...more...SQUEAL (burnout as soon as HSA kicks off)...

Look like a dumbass in his 1st standard tans car...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #154
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit4008 View Post
The only thing they can do is recalibrate the 0 incline. Based on this ,i suggested that we raise the front of the car a couple of degrees when we do the calibration. If this works, then at least the HSA won't come on uless you are on a really steep hill. I am going down the the dealership this Saturday to test this and will report back
So when you lower the car back down after recalibrating it will think its pointing downhill even though it is on level ground. Correct? Given that the HSA activates in reverse when you back up a hill won't your recalibration result in activation in reverse on level ground?
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote