Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Aversion

Drives: 06 Acura Tl 07 Toyota FJ
Placed an order today

So I have been lurking around this board for about 3 months now. Reading what everyone has to say and thanks everyone for sharing. You have all provided such great information.

Anyway I got off of work a bit early today so I thought I would give my local dealer a visit. Maybe they would have a camaro and maybe if I was lucky I would get to drive one. I was hoping I could at least sit in one. I arrived at my local dealer and they had a 1SS IOM on the showroom floor(5k markup). I walked around the car a couple of times waiting for a salesperson. 10min later no one says boo to me and there are a least 4 employees within 20ft of me. So I ask for some help and one of the guys drags himself over to me. I try to start with some basic questions. He didn't have any answers and gave be a bunch of short abrupt no's and I don't knows. Then tells me its not for sale, its not suppose to be on the floor. I said really its not for sale and its in the showroom with a price on it? No reply. I then let him know I was interested in a camaro and asked if it would it be ok if I sat in it. He said no. From there it got much worse. Needless to say I had just had the worst dealer experience in my life. Not to mention I am very pissed off at this point.

From there I thought I would just hit another dealer(there are about 15 in a 25mi radius of me) despite the fact that I have already had my fill of dealers today. So at this point my local dealer blew me off(I like to keep business local if I can) so I thought I would try a bigger dealer.

It took me about 30min to get to the next dealer and as I am pulling in I see a 2SS 6 speed victory red with black hockey stripes and sunroof parked right in front. I get out of my car and head for the showroom. On my way into the showroom I am greeted by a salesperson. I asked if he had a few minutes to talk about the camaro. He said absolutely. Then he pointed to the red one out front and said lets go take a look. I asked him a bunch of questions he knew almost everything. When he didn't know something he said so and told me he could find out for me. I then asked him if I could sit in it and he said sure.

We both hopped into the car and I asked him about order times and allocations. He said that they move a ton of units so their allocations are pretty high. He said they have had 6 or so come through so far. Four customer orders and two dealer units. They actually had 2 right now both customer orders. The one we were looking at was a customer order that was not wanted. I was told that an older gentlemen ordered it and found it to difficult to get in and out, so the dealer was selling it at a 3k markup.

We talked a bit more about order times. He said it was a 4 to 6 month wait. Then he asked if I would like to take it for a drive. Well that was a silly question. He threw me the key and said lets go! And off we went in a 2SS 6 speed. I was hoping to drive one but this was a real surprise.

I just say that the car meets or exceeds all my expectations. The fit and finish is good, the handling is outstanding, acceleration is just wow. I was on the on ramp to the freeway and and the thing hit 90 like that. It was so smooth and effortless. The transmission was very nice, the clutch and shift action felt good. I really loved the exhaust note as well.

I was actually lucky that this one had a sunroof as well. That is one of the options that I am torn on. I love the reverse mowhawk its such a clean look. But I have had a sunroof in my last 2 cars and use them all the time. So I wanted to see having it opened at speed would turn the car into a wind tunnel or have some horrible whistling noise. I am happy to say neither of those happened. At speed with the roof open it is surprisingly quiet and the exhaust note sounds even better. I also rolled both windows down and the cabin stayed the same. I was really impressed.

Well after a very cool 20 minute cruse we headed back to the dealer and I placed an order at MSRP.

2SS/RS, Black/Black, Sunroof, 6 Speed Manual

I know I have a bit t wait until I get an allocation and I am still torn on the transmission. I do love the manual but I drive in and out of LA and the traffic just blows, although this will not be my daily driver. Did anyone else have a hard time choosing this or the sunroof for that matter? If so what was your deciding factor? Also thinking about stripes.......and still kind of torn on the sunroof.

I swear I just wanted to post that I ordered today. I guess I got a bit long winded.

BTW: the other camaro they had was a IOM with black hockey stripes and ground effects. I only saw it from a distance but it looked nice.
Aversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Bowtie Girl

Drives: Black 2LT RS Auto 20" Polished
Congrats. I ordered in So Cal on 04/27/09 for MSRP but will have to wait until Sept. to get mine. I ordered 2LT/RS, auto and sunroof with 20" polished wheels. It will be well worth the wait! Be patient....it will be well worth the wait. Who was the rude dealer you went to?
Bowtie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Aversion

Actually it was Tustin Chevrolet. Then I went over to Connell in Costa Mesa they were outstanding.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Bowtie Girl

Drives: Black 2LT RS Auto 20" Polished
Glad to hear you found a nice dealer. My dealer is awesome. The forum is fun and addictive. Have fun waiting for your car.
Bowtie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aversion View Post
Actually it was Tustin Chevrolet. Then I went over to Connell in Costa Mesa they were outstanding.
I guess I'm making the trek to Costa Mesa to see the gfx on a IOM car in person. Were they painted to match or left black?

I was torn with the M6 and A6 trany due to back and ankle surgeries. I'll be using it as a daily driver (about 30 miles each way) and the car that drops the kid off with her mom on some weekends (300 miles round trip x 2).

I went with the M6 for a couple of reasons;
1) More POWER: I couldn't see paying an extra $1200 for the A6 and loosing 26 hp.
2) Price: Again, paying more for an inferior motor makes zero sence to me.
3) Mods: LS3 is a mod'ers dream.

Congrats on your order. Make sure you figure out what you want quickly. My dealership was given extra allocation and my order went in 2 months sooner then expected.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Timisaiah

Drives: 2005 Black HUMMER H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aversion View Post
Is Connell marking up on orders?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Aversion

No they are not marking up orders MSRP all the way. They are doing markups on what they have on the lot right now. 2K for the V6 3K for the V8. I guess thats better than the 5k+ I have seen at other dealers.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Aversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I guess I'm making the trek to Costa Mesa to see the gfx on a IOM car in person. Were they painted to match or left black?
You might want to give them a call on the IOM if you are planning to make a trip. It was a customer car and I am sure the customer was eager to get it, so it may be gone. Oh they were left black.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
I dont know how you guys are getting told 4-6months, i dont know if its so you dont get disapointed or the dealer can seem really awesome when the car comes before that. I order mine 6MAY and I was told june/july for mine. But they got 6 right off the bat, and 3 are on the way
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Girl View Post
Glad to hear you found a nice dealer. My dealer is awesome. The forum is fun and addictive. Have fun waiting for your car.
My dealer kicks @$$, so relieved after I heard some of the stories about crappy one on here! I didn't even have to ask the guy, he already told me 'dont worry, we wont put the front license plate bracket on, thats up to you.... but i wouldnt put it on if i were you.' Went to give them the rest of my deposit yesterday and he told me I'm at 3000 and warned me it could stay that way for a while (though now I'm seeing M6 V6s starting to move to 3400, woo!) and said he'd call everytime the event code changed! Dude is on point!

Last edited by Brokinarrow; 05-21-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: sp
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Aversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
I dont know how you guys are getting told 4-6months, i dont know if its so you dont get disapointed or the dealer can seem really awesome when the car comes before that. I order mine 6MAY and I was told june/july for mine. But they got 6 right off the bat, and 3 are on the way

At this point I would say it was because there was quite a few orders in front of mine. I am sure the dealer will have a steady flow coming through. I guess I could have gone to another dealer without so many orders. But this dealer really treated me right, so I placed the order with them.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
WELCOME AND CONGRATS ON YOUR ORDER!!!!!
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
Speed 1

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro 365 days a year