Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
ss ZHO

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT (formally 1999 Z28)
Front turn signal light replacement...AArrgggh

Ok, anyone that can help me please.

How do you change the front turn signal lights (1999 Camaro)? I am convinced this part was designed by an idiot.

There is no way to reach around the headlights. I have removed the darn braces and still can not get a good angle to tighten/loosen them.

I am ready to either try removing the cover from the bottom of the car or removing the headlights. This seems like way too much work to switch a bulb. Anyone have experience on how to change this light?

All help is appreciated.
ss ZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
White_Knuckle_Tight

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6
I've never had to, but I've read in a few places you gotta take the light assembly off.
White_Knuckle_Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You have to remove the plastic shroud from the inside of the fender. There's no getting around this step... Don't worry though it's not too hard. A pita, but not particularly difficult.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
White_Knuckle_Tight

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6
Ok apparently, I was wrong, lol.
White_Knuckle_Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
You have to remove the plastic shroud from the inside of the fender. There's no getting around this step... Don't worry though it's not too hard. A pita, but not particularly difficult.

cant you just pull the plastic splash guard from the bottom?

(I know this picture is of a 93-97 camaro, but it should be just about the same on 98-02 models)

#20 in this pic
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

It's all attached. I guess you might be able to get away with just removing that front splash guard, but if memory serves it's best to just detach it all as one piece. Should cut down on your labor, and leave you room enough to work in the corner. Both of those #20 pieces and the plastic in between them should drop out pretty easily.

I think I worded my last post badly- I don't mean to remove the entire shroud around the wheel, but detach it from the deflector so the front shroud will drop out.

last time I did this it was in order to change out my corner lights, and I thought it was going to be a 10 minute job. Actually took almost 30, mainly because I took all the plastic apart, when all I really needed to do was detach it from the fender shrouds and drop the whole thing out...

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
It's all attached. I guess you might be able to get away with just removing that front splash guard, but if memory serves it's best to just detach it all as one piece. Should cut down on your labor, and leave you room enough to work in the corner. Both of those #20 pieces and the plastic in between them should drop out pretty easily.

I think I worded my last post badly- I don't mean to remove the entire shroud around the wheel, but detach it from the deflector so the front shroud will drop out.

last time I did this it was in order to change out my corner lights, and I thought it was going to be a 10 minute job. Actually took almost 30, mainly because I took all the plastic apart, when all I really needed to do was detach it from the fender shrouds and drop the whole thing out...

cool. when I swapped my lenses to smoked ones, I pulled the shrouds... and left them off. weight reduction...lmao
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
02 WS6 TA
Account Suspended

Drives: GM Stuff
The bulb loads in from the top, not easy to access from underneath. It takes 30 seconds to pull the headlight ass'y, that's the way to go.
02 WS6 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
ss ZHO

Thanks for the input guys. I shall try to pull the headlight. Hopefully its easy enough to figure out.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS

There is an access panel integrated into the splash guard underneath that turn signal housing. You do not have to remove the fender lining to get to it. Jack the front of the car up, remove the panel by hand, and get your arm all up in that.

The design of the bulb housing is a PITA, so it WILL take you a while the first time, and you WILL hurt your fingers on it. You have to squeeze the tab on the side of the bulb, twist, then pull up. Sounds easy enough, but it's at an awkward angle with no real arm space. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
cool. when I swapped my lenses to smoked ones, I pulled the shrouds... and left them off. weight reduction...lmao
Roknroll!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
ss ZHO

OK, I just replaced the front turn signal lights.

The way to do this is to remove the head lights. Its fast and easy (should take no more than 5-10 minutes).

1) Remove the bolt securing the head light assembly. The bolt is located on the upper black L-bracket/brace (1 bolt secures the bracket and head light assembly). It is located near the top center of the head light.

2) You will notice 2 tabs on the back of the head light assembly that helps hold it in place to the vehicle. Simply slide the head light towards the center of the vehicle, and its removed.

3) You now have easy access to the turn signal lights. The rest is very easy.....

Last edited by ss ZHO; 06-20-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
Be sure to get the correct bulb. The correct turn signal bulb for 98 to 02 cost more than another bulb which will fit. The difference is because the proper bulb is a long life bulb. The original front turn signal bulb also serves as the daytime driving light. With the hassle of changing bulbs it's definitely worth the extra price not to have change a bulb any sooner than necessary.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
ss ZHO

I took a picture of the steps to remove the headlight. Hope this helps.
Attached Images