Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #71
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
We're all glad you're here.

lol I do what I can.

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #72
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
It's likely the manual is going to say to use oil that complies with GM41xxx whatever. I will find an oil that does so. If it's synthetic that's likely to be Mobile 1 and I'm good with that.

I will then use the DIC display and change the oil when it says 25% per the recommendation of the dealer.

I will do this at a dealer until the warranty expires.

I trust my dealer to do an oil change or I would never buy from that dealer. Why would you ever buy a car from a dealer that you don't trust to do the most basic of engine maintenance? I know there are horror stories about dry-sump vettes and such on this site, but for this car (without a dry-sump) it makes no sense to be this paranoid.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #73
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'll be doing all my own servicing unless there is something super special the car requires. I figure if I can replace clutches/torque converters and tinker with most of the rest of the car, filter, fluid, and lubing won't be too big a deal for me. I like to use that time to make make sure everything under the car is in good condition too. I don't really need a dealer to tell me if I have a bad hose or belt. I haven't had the greatest experience at dealers either but I haven't been to all of them so I'm not going to judge by a couple experiences.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #74
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
It's likely the manual is going to say to use oil that complies with GM41xxx whatever. I will find an oil that does so. If it's synthetic that's likely to be Mobile 1 and I'm good with that.

I will then use the DIC display and change the oil when it says 25% per the recommendation of the dealer.

I will do this at a dealer until the warranty expires.

I trust my dealer to do an oil change or I would never buy from that dealer. Why would you ever buy a car from a dealer that you don't trust to do the most basic of engine maintenance? I know there are horror stories about dry-sump vettes and such on this site, but for this car (without a dry-sump) it makes no sense to be this paranoid.

it will be coming with M1 in both the Auto and the manual (motors) as for the trans fluid and gear lube...

GM's got some trick fluid for the auto that should never need replacing.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #75
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
I don't dislike my dealer, I just like doing the simple things myself on my schedule. Some times the person changing oil at the dealership is the low guy who may or may not like his job or take the extra care needed. Had a car long time ago that every time it went to the dealer they had to fix the ground effects and buff the scratches out. About the 3rd time of the same thing happening and repeated warnings started doing my own oil changes while still under warranty.
And don't do business with that dealership any more if it can be avoided.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #76
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty-Six Z View Post
I saw the question raised in the first post but didn't see an answer to it yet (or atleast I overlooked it)...... Since the engine is coming from the factory with synthetic already in it, does that mean they are seating the pistons right off the assembly line?
Thanks in advance.
this is one of my main concerns, it has been brought up in previous threads with no answer.

Quote:
Just curious if I need to take out the synthetic for the break-in period and then re-aply the synthethic after 1000 miles.
is this possible?
i've thought of doing this also, but not sure its too safe. switching to non-synthetic, even for only break-in period, that is.
thanks for ur response in advance

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #77
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
this is one of my main concerns, it has been brought up in previous threads with no answer.
It was answered in this thread, though...it was just hidden in the middle of a really long and informative post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you can break in motors with synthetic oil. in fact a lot of synth oil companies are coming out with synth oil specially designed for break-in procedures. as for the motor from the factory... the rings will be seated before it hits the show room floor. feel free to romp the hell out of it out of the dealer parking lot.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #78
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
I don't dislike my dealer, I just like doing the simple things myself on my schedule. Some times the person changing oil at the dealership is the low guy who may or may not like his job or take the extra care needed. Had a car long time ago that every time it went to the dealer they had to fix the ground effects and buff the scratches out. About the 3rd time of the same thing happening and repeated warnings started doing my own oil changes while still under warranty.
And don't do business with that dealership any more if it can be avoided.
It takes me under 30 minutes to change the oil in my folks driveway on a saturday morning, as opposed to waiting for an appointment, going to the dealer waiting for them to do it, or leaving and coming back.... AND the added risk of who knows who "testing" your car.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #79
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It was answered in this thread, though...it was just hidden in the middle of a really long and informative post:
haha, just sifted through and read it. thanks

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #80
Eighty-Six Z
2G1FK1EJ0A9109635

Drives: '10 CGM Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

Thanks theholycow! Looks like I did miss it after all. And thanks to Camarospike for posting the info. This answers my questions about "taking her easy" for the first 500 miles then.
Eighty-Six Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #81
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
It takes me under 30 minutes to change the oil in my folks driveway on a saturday morning, as opposed to waiting for an appointment, going to the dealer waiting for them to do it, or leaving and coming back.... AND the added risk of who knows who "testing" your car.
if I'm in a hurry, it doesnt take long to change my oil. but if I feel like going the extra bit. I'll let the car sit for an hour or so draining so I can get that last little bit of old oil out before I fill up with new.

then again, I guess I could always flush my crankcase like this guy....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9974

Quote:
Thanks theholycow! Looks like I did miss it after all. And thanks to Camarospike for posting the info. This answers my questions about "taking her easy" for the first 500 miles then.
no prob. dont worry, the motors that are coming out of the factories today can take a pounding from the first fire up and be just fine.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #82
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
then again, I guess I could always flush my crankcase like this guy....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9974
N F W!!!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote