Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Best MP3 Player - Test Results

I finally had some time this weekend to try some different players with the PDIM. I went to Best Buy and spent a little over $1000 on an iPod Touch, Nano, Classic, Phillips GoGear and Zune HD. I tested these players along with my 8GB Zune and flash drives. Here are my findings (players are in order, best to worst):

iPod Classic 160 GB (7th Gen): This was the best player I tested and it worked flawlessly. Indexing time is non-existent because the index is resident in the player. When you turn on the player it will remember exactly where you left off, even the album or playlist. The only downside to this player is that no iPods play DRM songs so your library is limited to whatever music you have acquired. Even if you have a large library of 50-100K songs, that is nothing compared to the millions of songs available via subscription services.

Zune 8GB (2nd Gen): This is the player I have been using for the last couple years and this is the best option for playing DRM songs in the Camaro. For $15/mo (Zune Pass) I can fill this player and change songs anytime I want. That subscription also gives me 10 DRM-free songs/mo with the option to purchase more if I want. Indexing time is very fast; it will index the full 8GB in about 10 seconds. The PDIM still needs some work to improve compatibility with this player. The PDIM will freeze intermittently and you need to unplug the Zune and plug it back in. I also tested this player using all DRM-free songs and it still froze, so the issue is not related to DRM. When you first turn on the player it will remember which song you were last playing, but not remember if you were in an album or playlist. This second issue is common to many players, but not the iPod classic. There also seems to be some issue with playlist recognition. My playlists did not originally show up in the PDIM, so I renamed them with simple one-word names and no numbers or special characters and they worked fine after that.

iPod Nano 16GB (5th Gen): This player worked well, but not as good as the classic. When you first turn on the player it will remember which song you were last playing, but not remember if you were in an album or playlist. It does not play DRM songs.

Flash Drives: Any USB flash drive is an inexpensive alternative to an iPod. You can get these things for the price of a sandwich and they work better than some expensive players. Indexing is much slower than the 2nd Gen Zune; It seemed to take about 20-30 seconds per GB of music (your mileage may vary). You can use playlists, but it is not as easy to create and maintain them as it is with an iPod or Zune. Flash drives will not remember the album or playlist you were last using and they do not play DRM songs.

Phillips GoGear 16GB Aria: This player worked exactly like a flash drive (see above), but costs significantly more. There is no advantage to using one of these and I assume that all the other players on the GM PDIM compatibility list would be the same. If it is not an iPod or a Zune, then you might as well just use a flash drive, because all these PlaysForSure devices just act like mass storage in the Camaro.

iPod Touch 16GB (3rd Gen): This player worked similarly to the iPod Nano (see above), but with an additional issue. The search menus would not always display properly. When you display the list of albums on the player you might get a list of song titles or artists instead. If you press the back button, then try the album list again, it will display correctly. This trouble was not limited to the albums display...all search menus gave a mixed bag of results. Considering other iPods work better and this one costs more, it is not a good option for the Camaro.

Zune HD 16GB (3rd Gen): Don't even think about it. This player was the absolute worst. I filled this player with DRM-free songs and it took 54 minutes (yes, I said minutes) to index. I turned off the head unit and turned it back on and guess what...another 54 minutes to index (ok, I gave up after 20 mins, but pretty sure it was going the distance). This player is not on the GM compatibility list and probably never will be. It is an excellent player on its own, but does not play well with the Camaro.

I still plan to try the 120GB Zune. I am hoping it plays DRM, like the 8GB Zune without the freezing issue. If it does, then it will definitely oust the iPod Classic as the #1 player.

I hope this is helpful to those of you shopping for a player to use in the Camaro and I hope that GM continues to improve player compatibility.

Last edited by RandyB; 01-21-2010 at 03:27 AM.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I bet the people at Bestbuy sure looked at you funny.. And probably will again when you go return all of those.

No surprise that iPod is the best. I'm a microsoft man through and through but when it comes to MP3 players, the Zune and everything else just need to concede defeat. The fact that it indexes itself is proof enough. The only problems I ever have are on the car's side with the PDIM sometimes not recognizing that the iPod is plugged in.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
210_punisher
David

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS L99 black
my camaro wont recognize the first gen zune but the 2nd gen works just fine
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210_punisher View Post
my camaro wont recognize the first gen zune but the 2nd gen works just fine
My first gen works (albeit with the indexing issues, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I bet the people at Bestbuy sure looked at you funny.. And probably will again when you go return all of those.

No surprise that iPod is the best. I'm a microsoft man through and through but when it comes to MP3 players, the Zune and everything else just need to concede defeat. The fact that it indexes itself is proof enough. The only problems I ever have are on the car's side with the PDIM sometimes not recognizing that the iPod is plugged in.
Sorry but you can't lay the blame on MS for this. It's a pretty basic architecture decision... let the car decide how it wants to handle it or keep control over everything within the player and honestly MS made the right choice in my opinion. The Camaro/PDIM's indexing system is just crap. There's no excuse for it to behave the way it does. Plenty of aftermarket head units allow you to plug in USB flash drives, etc and they don't have these kinds of idiotic problems.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Maybe some updates in the future will resolve the indexing issues?

I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers and toes
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Great work. Let me know how the 120gb zune works. I need to upgrade from my first gen
Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
dr1ven

Drives: '10 CGM
Thanks.

Anyone know how well the iphone works with this?

I tried my ipod shuffle, but it wasn't even recognized.

1100: 09/1/09
3800: 12/18/09
Picked Up at the Dealership: 1/4/10

dr1ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Maybe some updates in the future will resolve the indexing issues?

I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers and toes
Codeman has stated that it would require a hardware update as they skimped on the memory available to the PDIM. Who knows if they'll make that available anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Great work. Let me know how the 120gb zune works. I need to upgrade from my first gen
It should work almost identically to the 30gb, maybe a bit faster. Keep in mind that there will still be a 2500 song limit as the limitation is in the PDIM's indexing, not the Zune.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Sorry but you can't lay the blame on MS for this. It's a pretty basic architecture decision... let the car decide how it wants to handle it or keep control over everything within the player and honestly MS made the right choice in my opinion. The Camaro/PDIM's indexing system is just crap. There's no excuse for it to behave the way it does. Plenty of aftermarket head units allow you to plug in USB flash drives, etc and they don't have these kinds of idiotic problems.
I have a Zune and it's been a decent little player but even if you don't blame MS I think you have to credit Apple for avoiding such potential problems with their design. Any mp3 player will be quite capable of handling it's own indexing so why offload that job to the stereo?
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
jordan 572

Drives: none
dont you half to change songs using the radio or buttons on the steering wheel? or doesnt the ipod go into the non responce mode when you plug it in? like where it says its connected
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
I have a Zune and it's been a decent little player but even if you don't blame MS I think you have to credit Apple for avoiding such potential problems with their design. Any mp3 player will be quite capable of handling it's own indexing so why offload that job to the stereo?
It limits the extensibility and interface that the vehicle can implement. Also, the connection/hardware is pretty slow on the 5th gen iPods which causes a lag where you can't change songs for a few seconds. There's no real right or wrong way here. What is wrong is the PDIM's crappy indexing. There's no excuse for it in this day and age. This isn't new, high end stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
dont you half to change songs using the radio or buttons on the steering wheel? or doesnt the ipod go into the non responce mode when you plug it in? like where it says its connected
Yes, that's correct.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
It should work almost identically to the 30gb, maybe a bit faster. Keep in mind that there will still be a 2500 song limit as the limitation is in the PDIM's indexing, not the Zune.
Do you mean 80? the 30gb are first gen zunes. Those take forever to index.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Do you mean 80? the 30gb are first gen zunes. Those take forever to index.
Are the 80s faster than the 30s with the same library? I figured they were all pretty similar in speed since they all behave the same way (PDIM handles the index vs the MP3 player doing it like the iPod).
Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Are the 80s faster than the 30s with the same library? I figured they were all pretty similar in speed since they all behave the same way (PDIM handles the index vs the MP3 player doing it like the iPod).
I would assume since, the current line up is composed of all the 2nd gens, i.e. 4,8,16,80,and 120gb that they would all behave similarly compared to the first gens, 6,8,30gb.

That's just me making assumptions though.

Since in his test he was able to index the full 8 gigs in second compared to the hour or so it took to index my 30 gb when I test drove one.

but.....