Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Question about aftermarket radio!

*I've posted this in the audio/electronics forum, but that forum is very quiet these days.

So, I've got a 2011 2LT/RS and I've been looking into aftermarket radio systems. I've come across the Pioneer AppRadio 3, which is $499. My local Best Buy sells it and offers installation, but I'm not too sure how this would work. Do I NEED to purchase a "double DIN" kit (such as Scosche) for this radio to be installed? Or can the AppRadio be installed without that kit?

If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Link to specific radio: http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...rd215100050003

Thanks, everyone!
CyberGreyConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
You will need the Scosche kit. There is currently no way to install without some form of kit.
Warsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
You will need the Scosche kit. There is currently no way to install without some form of kit.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Scosche or the Metra kit
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Side note...I highly recommend to use a local Audio installer (or tackle it yourself) instead of Best Buy...Several people have had bad luck using Bestbuy for installations. If you live near a decent size city, there should be a few around.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryrulez9 View Post
Side note...I highly recommend to use a local Audio installer (or tackle it yourself) instead of Best Buy...Several people have had bad luck using Bestbuy for installations. If you live near a decent size city, there should be a few around.
Hmmm... I was thinking about that. Do you think an audio installer would charge a lot more than Best Buy?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
RelentlessCamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
I don"t know how the 3rd version is but I had the first version of this radio and it was a disappointment to me, I know the first version of anything is sketchy but i'd make sure I could return it if I dropped that much money on it...just throwing that out there it was a good radio but for a little extra money I could have bought a much better radio..I now have a pioneer unit and the metra kit to go along with it, I installed the metra kit myself and it was a piece of cake if you have a small amount of understanding of installations it should be no problem..
RelentlessCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Yes an audio installer would charge more than Best Buy, and for good reason. Because they know what they are doing. But it's not going to be that much more. Even if you are willing to sacrifice workmanship for price, Best Buy isn't even that cheap anyway.

You definitely want a professional installer and an authorized shop to be doing audio work on your car over some best buy employee.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
RelentlessCamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
I also purchased my metra kit off ebay for a good price and it works great..
RelentlessCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
As being part of the (installation/sales) business for 13+ years ALL shops have their plus and minus. The problem with BBY is you will gt a lot of your diy'er turned into a job. some get trained good and some not so good. usually atleast 1-2 bby installers per store are good. the others in a bay may be ok but not as good as the 1 or 2.

as for the smaller shops i have seen my share of hacks there also. especially if you get into one that pays commission to the installer. if they can get it done faster (sometimes cut corners) so they can make more money they do.

do your research on the store you bring it to. you may find that a bby may be your better option.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
As being part of the (installation/sales) business for 13+ years ALL shops have their plus and minus. The problem with BBY is you will gt a lot of your diy'er turned into a job. some get trained good and some not so good. usually atleast 1-2 bby installers per store are good. the others in a bay may be ok but not as good as the 1 or 2.

as for the smaller shops i have seen my share of hacks there also. especially if you get into one that pays commission to the installer. if they can get it done faster (sometimes cut corners) so they can make more money they do.

do your research on the store you bring it to. you may find that a bby may be your better option.
That's what I've been hearing from most people. It sounds like every Best Buy has it's positive aspects, as well as it's negatives. My Best Buy doesn't sell the Scosche dashboard kit, but would they be able to install it with the radio, too? I was planning on buying the radio at Best Buy, and the Scosche kit online.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Can anyone tell me if Best Buy is able to install the Scosche kit?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
Best Buy? Run the f away...
GTPprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
yes they can! I laugh at how everyone talk so bad about them. In my 13 years i have actually seen more damage claims from the small shops than i did at my time at circuit city (early 2000's and BBY mid 2000's). By no means am i affiliated with them at all.

just ask for their lead installer to do the job and book it when he is there.

get the kit online and bring it to them. H*ll with the instructions that come with the kit im sure you could even do it.

What i want to know is all the people that are saying NO to bby whats their reasoning? have they experienced a damage to their own car? or is it he said she said bs?

Hell i have found bones in my food at mcdonalds now are you going to stop going there?
baum is offline   Reply With Quote