Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #99
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
My only complaint with the BA system was the serious lack of bass. I added a 10" sub and a small amp just for the sub and now it sounds fine to me.

On the other hand, I'm not a big audio guy and feel no need to rock the neighborhood. If I want to wake up the hood, I'll just open the cutouts.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #100
Murder 1

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Like everything else with any car, if you don't like it, upgrade it. That's what "aftermarket" is for.

Considering how well it performs for the money, the priority was elsewhere. The post the Nurburgring time when they advertise it , not the decibel level of the stereo.

Actually the best GM system I ever heard was the Bose Gold in my 1993 Corvette. It was just short of contest level quality (back when that was fashionable). Glass vibrating, door thumping, piercing, but PURE and ZERO rattle. I haven't heard one close to it in years, but I only drive Corvettes and Camaros.

They can jack up the price of the car more and give it a better system, or make crazy sound system an option.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #101
1troyd23

Drives: ZL1
ZL1 Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
The ZL1 comes with the Boston Acoustics Sound System

It's the subwoofer that is extra lol, you don't get to choose any options with the ZL1 it's fully loaded + a few things minor things like a sunroof or extra plastic fibers in the interior (alcantara as it is also known….) lol

It's also well known that the Boston Acoustics sound system falls quite short quality wise, but that can be attributed to the head unit...
so there is no 10" sub ? it states on the GM website the ZL1 package includes a 10" sub , with 9 speaker BA system ? I'm only asking cuz I just picked up my ZL1 and I can't locate the sub anywhere ?
1troyd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #102
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1troyd23 View Post
so there is no 10" sub ? it states on the GM website the ZL1 package includes a 10" sub , with 9 speaker BA system ? I'm only asking cuz I just picked up my ZL1 and I can't locate the sub anywhere ?

Where? I don't think it does.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #103
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Stereo system

A late post but I swapped out all my speakers and the AMP with JL and Kicker, the AMP was the biggest thing to do right away. The difference is night and day! I have a vert and I put Dynamat throughout the whole car and packed the area behind the rear seat with loose matting. The whole system sounds amazing!
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #104
rc610

Drives: 2020 2SS SGM - Stock for now
Not impressed with the Boston Acoustics Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder 1 View Post
Like everything else with any car, if you don't like it, upgrade it. That's what "aftermarket" is for.

Considering how well it performs for the money, the priority was elsewhere. The post the Nurburgring time when they advertise it , not the decibel level of the stereo.

Actually the best GM system I ever heard was the Bose Gold in my 1993 Corvette. It was just short of contest level quality (back when that was fashionable). Glass vibrating, door thumping, piercing, but PURE and ZERO rattle. I haven't heard one close to it in years, but I only drive Corvettes and Camaros.

They can jack up the price of the car more and give it a better system, or make crazy sound system an option.

I agree (but I always upgrade my factory systems b/c its my 2nd hobby). But to play devils advocate, couldn't they also lower the price and give the option of base (or no) stereo and just let me build my own for half the price/twice the performance? The my link head unit is the only thing I wanted when looking for a camaro...I had a 4 channel and speakers already picked out b4 I ever drove my car lol

Of course I realize that's not practical for most but it'd be nice to have the option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rc610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #105
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
It's fine in my opinion...
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #106
1troyd23

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Where? I don't think it does.
I would think in the trunk sidewall i'm guessing , but I have no clue and neither does the 3 local dealerships I called !!! if it does not come standard , then the website is very misleading !!! don't get me wrong..i didn't buy the ZL1 for the stock stereo system, but it would be nice if it came with what it's supposed !!!
1troyd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #107
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
You're going to spend more for a premium aftermarket system than what you paid for your stock radio (minus any discounts you paid for the car - which, if you did, you basically got the radio for free) I have the 1SS and upgraded to the BA system and am glad I did. I got the car for below invoice so the stereo sounds pretty darn good I used to upgrade my stereo's back in the day, but with the improvement in quality from the 80's and 90's, there isn't much of a need to. Sure, adding some Focal's and an amp would kick it up a notch, but I can get mirrors and the trunk rattling without it. Why would I need to amplify what's already there? Sure, it's not the same sound across all the different media that the Mylink utilizes, but what stock system at the PRICE chevy offers can do that? Like others have said, upgrading to an aftermarket system is to satisfy your own needs and what chevy offers is not junk in my book. Like someone else stated also, the sound that comes out from under the hood and the exhaust trumps anything anyway

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #108
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
IIRC, the sub is located behind the rear seat in the middle of the seat in the trunk.
I'm not sure if the convertibles have a sub or not.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #109
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
IIRC, the sub is located behind the rear seat in the middle of the seat in the trunk.
I'm not sure if the convertibles have a sub or not.
There is no sub in mine other than the one I added. There is nothing in the trunk from the factory.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #110
BaronConcepts

Drives: Camaro
This is exactly why we decided to use dashboard speaker cover as mounting plate for our gauge pods. BA system leaves a lot to be desired.
BaronConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #111
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1troyd23 View Post
I would think in the trunk sidewall i'm guessing , but I have no clue and neither does the 3 local dealerships I called !!! if it does not come standard , then the website is very misleading !!! don't get me wrong..i didn't buy the ZL1 for the stock stereo system, but it would be nice if it came with what it's supposed !!!
What I meant was, where on the website does it say the car comes with a subwoofer? Because I don't see that anywhere.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #112
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
What I meant was, where on the website does it say the car comes with a subwoofer? Because I don't see that anywhere.
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1-...ecs/trims.html
Click on the listing for the Boston Acoustics Premium Speaker system.

"With 245 watts of power and a 10" subwoofer, this system from Boston Acoustics® delivers the crisp highs, throbbing lows and richly textured mid-range sounds that you expect from a premium audio unit. "
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote