Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
?? For you Boost junkies..YSi on stock internals?

Good morning everyone...okay this spring i planned on running a healthy shot of nitrous on the camaro (200 shot), using a dedicated fuel system from nitrous outlet..but ive been thinking about future upgrades and unless i want to spray a crazy amount of nitrous (300-400 shot) i think i will fall short of future goals for the car. So now for my question..instead of buying a smaller blower that would be more suitable for a cam only LS3, can i purchase and install a YSi and just gear it down to its not making much boost or moving much air? Assuming i have the proper fuel system and the proper tuning how much could i expect from a cam only car with a YSi blower on it? Are there specific reasons why this is a bad idea? I dont want my car to blow up, but if it did i have a daily driver so the car could sit until i could build a motor...if i put a YSi on there, and made lets say 550-650 rwhp...if the motor lasted a year and some change i would probably go ahead and put forged rods and pistons, and other necessary changes to up the boost for higher power levels. Im assuming its not as simple as im making it sound because it seems like all the YSi cars are making big power numbers...but if i have a choice i would rather buy just one blower and drive it for a year or so on low boost/conservative tuning,(stilll making much more power then i am now) and then if it blows up build a forged motor...if it doesent blow then i can just start planning within a year or so to forge the motor...or hell...save the money to build a new motor and see how much the stock one will take (might be surprised?) My daily driver is a toyota prius lol (i know i know) so i have a fuel efficient commuter car so my camaro is mainly a weekend car or go out and have some fun car..it will see some more trips to the drag strip this spring and summer...alright well thats about it..if you guys could give me some advice to a noob when it comes to supercharging a stock internal car it would be greatly appreciated. My 4th gen camaro i used to have i just stuck with nitrous and it was a blast...go from 75 hp to 150hp with a simple jet swap..it was very addicting..unfortunately nitrous is getting harder to find around here so i would have to drive about 30 minutes every time i need to get the bottle filled...thanks for any help...so quick summary, any reason not too run a YSi on a cam only car with plans of forging/building a motor in the future?? Just gear it down so its not moving a ton of air? thanks again.
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
Good morning everyone...okay this spring i planned on running a healthy shot of nitrous on the camaro (200 shot), using a dedicated fuel system from nitrous outlet..but ive been thinking about future upgrades and unless i want to spray a crazy amount of nitrous (300-400 shot) i think i will fall short of future goals for the car. So now for my question..instead of buying a smaller blower that would be more suitable for a cam only LS3, can i purchase and install a YSi and just gear it down to its not making much boost or moving much air? Assuming i have the proper fuel system and the proper tuning how much could i expect from a cam only car with a YSi blower on it? Are there specific reasons why this is a bad idea? I dont want my car to blow up, but if it did i have a daily driver so the car could sit until i could build a motor...if i put a YSi on there, and made lets say 550-650 rwhp...if the motor lasted a year and some change i would probably go ahead and put forged rods and pistons, and other necessary changes to up the boost for higher power levels. Im assuming its not as simple as im making it sound because it seems like all the YSi cars are making big power numbers...but if i have a choice i would rather buy just one blower and drive it for a year or so on low boost/conservative tuning,(stilll making much more power then i am now) and then if it blows up build a forged motor...if it doesent blow then i can just start planning within a year or so to forge the motor...or hell...save the money to build a new motor and see how much the stock one will take (might be surprised?) My daily driver is a toyota prius lol (i know i know) so i have a fuel efficient commuter car so my camaro is mainly a weekend car or go out and have some fun car..it will see some more trips to the drag strip this spring and summer...alright well thats about it..if you guys could give me some advice to a noob when it comes to supercharging a stock internal car it would be greatly appreciated. My 4th gen camaro i used to have i just stuck with nitrous and it was a blast...go from 75 hp to 150hp with a simple jet swap..it was very addicting..unfortunately nitrous is getting harder to find around here so i would have to drive about 30 minutes every time i need to get the bottle filled...thanks for any help...so quick summary, any reason not too run a YSi on a cam only car with plans of forging/building a motor in the future?? Just gear it down so its not moving a ton of air? thanks again.
You might find this thread helpful.

We built this car back in early 2010 and it is still going strong today on the stock long block.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=BIGDOG
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
cybergrayls3

WOW completely missed that thread! so whats the lowest boost you can run with a YSI, im assuming it has an optimum efficiency rpm...could i turn it down to make around 650whp..again, with necessary fuel and tuning? How would the boost come on around those power levels? more like a turbo? or almost instant? With my budget i really would prefer to buy a blower that i can use on stock internals, and then in a year or so with a proper build make 850ish or so? It seems like the YSI is the way to go? Thank you Ted for the quick response..you build some insane cars and i have a lot of respect for ya man!
-LSR shifter
-Monster level 3 clutch
Old 11-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I would do turbos but if not ti trim imo. Ysi if you are going for 900+ later but even 850 later a ti will be better.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Just Buy more bottles.
Less trips to the store.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
WOW completely missed that thread! so whats the lowest boost you can run with a YSI, im assuming it has an optimum efficiency rpm...could i turn it down to make around 650whp..again, with necessary fuel and tuning? How would the boost come on around those power levels? more like a turbo? or almost instant? With my budget i really would prefer to buy a blower that i can use on stock internals, and then in a year or so with a proper build make 850ish or so? It seems like the YSI is the way to go? Thank you Ted for the quick response..you build some insane cars and i have a lot of respect for ya man!
We did the testing of the YSI against the V3 at 7.5 psi boost and it made 10 more HP over the V3 with less boost same pullies, the YSI is just more efficient at moving air.

In the graph you will see the boost lines the lower green line is the YSI the upper is the V3

The upper read and blue lines are the YSI.

This was tested on a bone stock LS3 with just headers so the YSI can be run as low as 570 RWHP.

The YSI an be run from 6-25 PSI boost.

Same car as above post it was our test car for years.

Ted.
Attached Images

JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
We did the testing of the YSI against the V3 at 7.5 psi boost and it made 10 more HP over the V3 with less boost same pullies, the YSI is just more efficient at moving air.

In the graph you will see the boost lines the lower green line is the YSI the upper is the V3

The upper read and blue lines are the YSI.

This was tested on a bone stock LS3 with just headers so the YSI can be run as low as 570 RWHP.

The YSI an be run from 6-25 PSI boost.

Same car as above post it was our test car for years.

Ted.
Ted, I'm not that versed in the blowers, but I'm going to guess they have a boost map the same as a turbo does...???

If so, then I strongly agree with the comment about being better at moving air... My old turbos were so far out to the right on the efficiency map we were creating huge IAT's... Bigger turbos brought us almost into the perfect sweet spot for where we were at... Now we are reducing the cubic inches from 429 to 417... but will be spinning the motor a lot faster.... We'll still be in the map, but at high rpm's be moving back off to the right again, just not as far out that way... if I understood what I was told correctly...

A simple analogy given to me was a small fan in a big room trying to move air or a great big fan in the same room. Smaller fan has to spin like hell and still doesn't move as much air... Big fan is spinning casually... and moving more air...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
cybergrayls3

Awesome...so you would say that the YSi is a great blower for someone in my situation because i could run it around 650rwhp and then once it blows (if it does) or i build a motor i would have plenty of room to grow with the blower? So this is the same blower that people are putting down over 1000rwhp and running 9's??? But i can also just lower the boost level and run it on a cam only LS3? It seems like thats the perfect route for me to go then? If boost is what im looking for..i was on Vortech's website and it looks like the YSi with a cog setup is somewhere around $8k? Does that sound about right..plus fuel system,tuning,etc....
-LSR shifter
-Monster level 3 clutch
Old 11-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Currently doing the same to my stock internal/full bolt-on L99, holley ram intake, 2"LTH with built trans, 3200 stall and 3:45 final...
I got the ECS-YSi from Matt@FSP which has a 7.9" crank pulley, but I have a 3.47" blower pulley and a 2.5" restrictor plate if that doesn't cap me at 8-10lbs I will go one more blower pulley size up. As the motors grows I will pulley down or mill the restrictor 3/8" at at time....

Im sure you also know, good tune, Methonol, necessary fuel system and correct spark plugs matter for longevity. I don't want it tuned for max horsepower at this stage of the motor I care more about heathy fuel/air/spark across the power band.

Last edited by RaiderSS; 11-29-2014 at 10:10 PM.
RaiderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Just get a restrictor plate from ECS that way you can run a smaller pulley so it won't be sluggish down low. YSi pullied for 650whp is gonna be a turd.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I made about 720/560 with a cam and meth through an l99. The lower torque number shows what ppl mean by sluggish. I did pulley down and add a restrictor after that but never got back on a dyno.
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:05 AM   #12
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
Just get a restrictor plate from ECS that way you can run a smaller pulley so it won't be sluggish down low. YSi pullied for 650whp is gonna be a turd.
Having run a YSI for almost 10 years right from a totally standard 5.7 LS1 upwards through various engines and specs....there is no way the YSi could ever be described as a turd.

It just gets better and better the more you spin it.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #13
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post
I made about 720/560 with a cam and meth through an l99. The lower torque number shows what ppl mean by sluggish. I did pulley down and add a restrictor after that but never got back on a dyno.
Was that 720/560 with no restrictor and what size pulley?

What size pulley/restrictor did you go to after dyno?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It was stock Vortech crank and I believe it was 3.12 at the time with no restrictor at 13 psi. After that I went with a 7.8 crank and 2.95 upper with a restrictor at 15 psi. Was about 3" opening on the restrictor. Never went back on a dyno and even if I did it wouldn't be a comparable reading since I did a 4l80 swap at the same time
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote