Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by drayco513 View Post
thats the price tho for the best power adder. nitrous over blowers anyday. for raw power
LOL.

Not. Even. close.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
not sure why theres so much hate for nitrous on this forum..maybe too many fast and furious movies? I put a retarded amount of nitrous thru my LS1 4th gen..llike..40-50 pounds the first week i had my kit! I dont see how its any more dangerous then bolting on a supercharger to an engine that doesent come with one from the factory,but yet everybody hear gets hard over a "bolt on" blower. I dont really get it..i had window switch,wideband,proper plugs and proper tune..sold my car with a tick over 150K miles and god only knows how many bottles of nitrous thru it..
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
drayco513

Drives: ss2/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
LOL.

Not. Even. close.
are u serious what would u say is better. might want to check the fast list on just about any forum or racing 75% of the fastest cars will be nitrous cars. u see most on this forum run blowers but also see most of the 5th gens on this forum run a small shot . 250 shot or more is where anyone running a forged motor and looking to go fast will run at least.
a 100 shot will get me 100+ rwhp and 135-150 rwtq if not more. plus u not adding 300 lbs to a alrdy heavy car. u also can run a 200 shot on a stock bottom end. nitrous is popular for the 2 reasons its makes crazy power and its cheaper . cause i see them shreading belts like its nothing most of the time or something else . but i guess thats free.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drayco513 View Post
as the case with anything u mod if u cant afford to buy another engine it best not to mod at all.
Can't say I ever heard of this plan. I can afford a new engine but sure in hell don't want to buy one. The car has a rev limiter so how can nitrous damage the engine other than running to many RPM's? Educate me please.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Can't say I ever heard of this plan. I can afford a new engine but sure in hell don't want to buy one. The car has a rev limiter so how can nitrous damage the engine other than running to many RPM's? Educate me please.
Ever hear a nitrous backfire? You'll be changing more than your shorts!!

Search nitrous backfire on you tube.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
ME LIKEY THE OJ............
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

You'll prob just as prone to blowing something up running 16 psi and you would be spraying a 150 shot. Expect anything and everything at the dragstrip. Sometimes just leaving the track with nothing broken is a gd day.

So, with that being said, come this fall if I have a problem the shit will get real bad real fast.

I had a backfire with a 55 shot last year. Sounded like my Labrador farted!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I am going to have the Zex nitrous system installed, this is an automatic system that kicks in @ wide open throttle (WOT). Does anyone have this system or one similiar that can tell me about it? I have a M6 transmission.

When you floor it and the nitrous kicks in I would think the RPM's would increase to the red line almost instantly making you have to back off of the throttle, is that how it works? It would seem like you wouldn't be able to shift fast enough to keep from red lining. What kind of feel is it when the nitrous opens? I want that "push me back in the seat" feeling where you can really feel the G's. How about sound, is there any sound difference when the nitrous opens?

If you have a purge system where did you mount the purge nozzle? If you have any advice please lay it on me.

Russ

Russ, I have the Hex dry kit I'm currently using. The nozzle in post maf in the intake tube. No purge, and its wot so once I nail it the nitrous is on until I cross the traps. Still playing with the 55/65 shots right now, having some traction issues mainly in 2nd gear. I don't fell the shot at all.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #23
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Detonation, burned and damaged pistons/valves, piston ring lands damaged, wrong plugs, not pulling timing, poor tune, lean afr, bad gas, faulty fuel solenoid are some. You do not rely on the factory tune rev limit, it will cut gas, not good. Your window switch is used so that you spray between certain rpms. Such as 3k to 6300 rpm. Therefore, your nitrous shuts off before you reach your rev limiter value, which you can hit fairly quickly when your spraying and loose traction. The window switch works in conjuction with your wot switch or tps signal, so you only spray during wot and between the rpms you want. You can custom tune to cut spark instead of fuel. If you use an LNC 2000 it has an upper rev limit that cuts spark. The LNC 2000 is used to retard timing. It can be activated by the window switch. So, one scenerio is get your n/a tune correct. Get a wet system, tune the afr with the fuel jet, use a window switch with tps signal, an LNC2000 pull timing and colder plugs. Check out Nitrous Outlet, they have a total package plate system for the camaro. It will give you an idea of what you need.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Detonation, burned and damaged pistons/valves, piston ring lands damaged, wrong plugs, not pulling timing, poor tune, lean afr, bad gas, faulty fuel solenoid are some. You do not rely on the factory tune rev limit, it will cut gas, not good. Your window switch is used so that you spray between certain rpms. Such as 3k to 6300 rpm. Therefore, your nitrous shuts off before you reach your rev limiter value, which you can hit fairly quickly when your spraying and loose traction. The window switch works in conjuction with your wot switch or tps signal, so you only spray during wot and between the rpms you want. You can custom tune to cut spark instead of fuel. If you use an LNC 2000 it has an upper rev limit that cuts spark. The LNC 2000 is used to retard timing. It can be activated by the window switch. So, one scenerio is get your n/a tune correct. Get a wet system, tune the afr with the fuel jet, use a window switch with tps signal, an LNC2000 pull timing and colder plugs. Check out Nitrous Outlet, they have a total package plate system for the camaro. It will give you an idea of what you need.
Good info. OP, speak with Neal at Nitrous Outlet. Nitrous is his job so he is much better informed then us clowns. He's great to talk to and super helpful. He'll will be able to fit a system for your needs.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
badbubba very good explaining things. nitrous can be fairly safe if u use the right stuff. but it dont take but one mishap. as supercharged ss said a day at the track is a good day when nothing breaks. most cars that run good times usally will have a problem or 2 almost every outting. just nature of the beast. how bad of the problem is just what makes or brakes it lol

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Why is it always the nitrous cars exploding at the track? Doesn't matter how good you are with it. Fact is everything has to be perfect or it blows. Still the riskiest power adder there is period.
this is why most dont like nitrous bad info like this. nitrous has come a long way in the last 5-10 years . its not just push a button and hope all goes well lots of things to monitor and prevent a backfire.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Most peoples experience with nitrous:

WEEEEEEEEE!

then:

KAAABOOOOOM!

Only if those people don't have a clue what they are doing.
todays systems if done correctly the risk goes WAY down from what it was many years ago.
computers are a wonderful thing.

OP if you do it do it right.. aux fuel system dedicated to the NO2 setup and have someone that knows what they are doing tune it and set it up for you.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
82 Camaro with a 406. Hit button. Went wee. then bang. Left the rearend on the road. 2 seconds were worth it. lol That was 20 yrs ago.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote