Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I have a new theory about the RS that allows for the RS to be a V8 package.

• 500-hp Camaro Z28 (LSA or something else badass)—everyone's favorite car to speculate
• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)
• 295-hp Camaro LT (LLT plus option and appearance package)
• 295-hp Camaro LS (LLT without LT package)
• 260-hp Camaro (LNF)—not confirmed but debated

This would allow for 2 V8s and a performance RS trim.

This is only a theory.

good theory can't wait till monday.

btw I believe FBodfather confirmed the Z28 on camaroz28.com. posted it in the confirmend and unconfirmed thread you started.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I have a new theory about the RS that allows for the RS to be a V8 package.

• 500-hp Camaro Z28 (LSA or something else badass)—everyone's favorite car to speculate
• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)
• 295-hp Camaro LT (LLT plus option and appearance package)
• 295-hp Camaro LS (LLT without LT package)
• 260-hp Camaro (LNF)—not confirmed but debated

This would allow for 2 V8s and a performance RS trim.

This is only a theory.
That makes sence to me, i hope you are right.

except all of the pics of the RS have manual trans.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #17
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Sorry but I am unconvinced that an L99 even exists. I find some of the leaked info hard to believe and relying on Car and Driver or Motor Trend for any kind of accurate info is just inviting disappointment.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sorry but I am unconvinced that an L99 even exists. I find some of the leaked info hard to believe and relying on Car and Driver or Motor Trend for any kind of accurate info is just inviting disappointment.
'Till Moday you shall wait, then. As the wise do. As I do.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I am completely with you. The automotive media tends to make ridiculous assumptions and edit photos as if they shot new ones. Sometimes they admit to the photos, but they always stand by their anonymous sources. I bet if I gave a bunch of mythical Camaro specs to some writer at Car and Driver, they'd publish my nonsense as fact.

This case is different. New photos have been released, along with information consistent with previous fact and speculation. I'm beginning to think that the L99 may have been a typo or mistake, but it is still important to investigate this as though it is fact. Remember that GM modified the LLT for DI and maintained the name, so it is possible that GM could modify this motor. While I'm beginning to agree that this is highly unlikely, I feel that it is important to investigate any information from today's mammoth leak as if it is fact until GM brings out additional info.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Okey, not to step on any toes or anything, but didn't Scott say quite awhile back that there were only going to be two V-6's and one V-8? So I'm kinda puzzled as to why GM would have one V-8 dedicated to an auto and one V-8 for a Manual. But either way, the L99 would still kick the Challenger R/T's 370hp auto/ 375 standard butt. I could live with that.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #21
jmliptak

Drives: D
I agree that we have the usual inconsistencies between the mags based on their ability to listen. And there are some inconsistencies to boot, in whether the RS is an appearance package or a model, the HP ratings, mileage, etc, etc. So there is still a lot to learn on Monday. In other words, they are as confused and as inconsistent as ever.

But the pics are shown as being FROM GM on all the sites. The Road and Track article talks about talking with Al Oppenheiser, GM's North American rear-drive vehicle chief engineer. These are not unnamed sources.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html

These APPEAR to be the articles that these sources would have published Monday after the meeting at 4 pm EST when the news emargo was going to be lifted. They just came out early. It takes time to write the articles, so all that has to be done in advance, generally a couple of weeks in advance. So I think we are now looking at what they would have published late Monday or Tuesday of next week. A site in the UK broke the embargo early, at that point there is no reason to hold back and not publish, in fact those that do are put at a disadvantage.

That there is an L99, which is appers to be an LS3 with AFM and all the fuel saving stuff (it is a 6.2)does not appear to be in doubt. A lot of details about it are NOT known yet.

If all the mags got it right all the time then there would not be a need for more than one of them, right!

There is still a lot to be learned, and you will notice that GM did not let anybody take pics of the SS exterior. The Edmunds article even pokes fun at them about it. Its almost like GM is even smarter than we give them credit for and held something back in case this happened.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=129446#5

They give the model numbder of the tranny and some cool details.

"In this case, the automatic is a six-speed unit (6L80 in GM Powertrain parlance) that features shift paddles on the steering wheel. Each downshift will be accompanied by a rev-matching throttle blip."

So, do we know everything, NO.....That there is an L99 appears to be certain. The interesting part is that the L99 with the six speed auto and the higher geared rear end may actually get the same or better mileage, at least on the highway, than the manual....But THAT is a guess on my part...

Let the rampant speculation begin, we have till Monday at 4 and we need to keep each other busy till then and give the forum mods carpal tunnel syndrome trying to keep up!
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #22
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I think the L99 is a L98+1. The engine in the Escalade modified to fit in a lower hood is my guess. Also the L98 was the TPI engine in the C4 Corvette, with 250 hp. I highly doubt the same engine in that vette is in the Escalade. Sorry if I seem sarcastic, I do not mean to be.

Also I don't see why AFM can't be used with a manual? To me I its like saying you can't get cruise control on a manual. I don't see how its any different shutting off 4 cyl's with auto or manual if you are cruising at a constant speed. If they are supposed to turn back on instantaneously, it should not matter what transmission you have. If the auto gets significantly more MPG's, I'll have to change my mind from my die-hard manual ways, though I don't have anything against autos I just prefer shifting myself.

I may be complaining about nothing, but i'll wait for Monday for some real answers.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I too don't think that information is correct. There is more of a chance at getting a ZL1 engine with a Rockcrusher M-22 in these cars than an archaic Gen II engine. It has to be a 6.X liter LSX variation; NO WAY could it be a Gen II... All the optispark and water pump problems, not to mention I believe it was either the hydrocarbons or nitro-something emissions were too high because of the LT-series compression ratios and combustion chamber designs. Gen III are far more advanced (let alone Gen IVs) so there is just no way, IMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #24
jmliptak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
I think the L99 is a L98+1. The engine in the Escalade modified to fit in a lower hood is my guess. Also the L98 was the TPI engine in the C4 Corvette, with 250 hp. I highly doubt the same engine in that vette is in the Escalade. Sorry if I seem sarcastic, I do not mean to be.

Also I don't see why AFM can't be used with a manual? To me I its like saying you can't get cruise control on a manual. I don't see how its any different shutting off 4 cyl's with auto or manual if you are cruising at a constant speed. If they are supposed to turn back on instantaneously, it should not matter what transmission you have. If the auto gets significantly more MPG's, I'll have to change my mind from my die-hard manual ways, though I don't have anything against autos I just prefer shifting myself.

I may be complaining about nothing, but i'll wait for Monday for some real answers.
There is an entire thread on this in this forum on page 2.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4563

Dragoneye summed it up well in that thread, it is primarily because there is no torque converter to absorb the vibration, etc, so if you program the computer on the manual to defeat that, you do not get the benefits. It will be solved eventually, but does not appear for the 2010 Camaro
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #25
jmliptak

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I too don't think that information is correct. There is more of a chance at getting a ZL1 engine with a Rockcrusher M-22 in these cars than an archaic Gen II engine. It has to be a 6.X liter LSX variation; NO WAY could it be a Gen II... All the optispark and water pump problems, not to mention I believe it was either the hydrocarbons or nitro-something emissions were too high because of the LT-series compression ratios and combustion chamber designs. Gen III are far more advanced (let alone Gen IVs) so there is just no way, IMVHO.
According to what has been published in mutiple places you are correct, it is an LS3 with AFM and other goodies and it is a 6.2!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #26
SoFlaZ

Oh sorry, I must have missed that one.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #27
jmliptak

Not a problem at all, I was hoping for the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Oh sorry, I must have missed that one.
Not a problem my friend, I just remember that one because I shared your hope for AFM and a manual, not to mention flex fuel like on the Tahoe version of the motor, that would have been extremely cool, but upgrades will come with future models....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #28
SoFlaZ

I guess it makes sense with small jerking of the car when activated/deactivated, but I could live with it

I think I could squeeze 25-27 out of the LS3 which is better than the 23 as projected by whatever website I just read. LS1 and 2 owners say they can get 28+ sometimes. Obviously the first week I own the car i'll be getting around 6mpg