Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Water/Meth, Pulley Down, Jannetty Tune

Long read but you don't have anything better to do if you made it into my thread.....

In the fall I had my setup dialed in at 12 psi and VERY occasionally a 125 shot. Mods in sig. Car ran strong but never made it to track. Over winter I pullied down and added a Mr Freeze water/meth kit. Most don't like these but I do, no electronic parts to fail. Not a huge drop in IAT since it is pre blower, but it ups the efficiency of the blower, raises octane, adds water for cylinder cooling, costs about $100 used, and can be installed in about 30 minutes. I think a lot of huge IAT drops from meth installs are false due to spraying too close to IAT sensor. I got about 10 degree drop but I also went up 1.5 psi at the same time. I'm now seeing 13.5 psi.

Well first pass AFR was in the 9.8 range. I have FireWire setup, AFR is in datalogs. Called Ted and told him I need a retune. He talked to me for quite a while explaining directions we can go. He made some changes and sent me a tune instantly. Told me it will still be a little fat (sneaking up on it) and I can try dropping from a 70/30 to a 50/50 mix if I want to help out, so I did. Also mentioned going another step colder on plugs since I upped the boost, which I had already done. Ran car, still rich but a little better. He sent another tune with fueling and now a timing tweak. Car pulls HARD and is still a little rich and gets richer as the pull goes on. 11.0 in 2nd gear and down to 10.5 up in 4th. Much better than before. I can feel the power coming up with each step closer. We are targeting 11.2. Getting closer! Ted just sent another retune having it pull a little less timing up in the hotter IAT's and a minor fuel tweak. Hopefully lean it out a hair more.

But now it dropped 40 degrees outside and is snowing. Ugh.

I know about people stating of a bad experience at JRE recently, but I can't jump on a bandwagon I personally know very little about, especially when in my own experience so far JRE has been great, best tuning I've ever had on a setup, good support, very professional, very very fast replies and retunes. Even well after normal business hours. Was the same way 2 years ago with headers converters and a tune, then last year when he tuned my ECS kit, then again with these changes.

Also, I did not buy the pulley or the meth kit from JRE since they don't sell what I wanted, but Ted still retuned me for free. That is something I didn't expect but sure appreciate.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.

Last edited by dan0617; 03-12-2014 at 11:15 PM.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Gotta love free tunes! JRE was always informative when I had questions and awesome support for items purchased. As of late they just have a few upset guys, but for every shop turning out fast cars ... I haven't heard a perfectly squeaky clean record for any of them.

Hopefully the snow melts soon so us Northeastern ppl can get the cars back out!
BooSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Twin2010

Drives: 2010 twin turbo ss
Nice to hear. Thats some great customer service
Twin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Nice! No more occasional spraying?
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
dan0617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Nice! No more occasional spraying?
Ooh, yes, but not till we get it dead spot on without spraying. I actually installed a remote bottle opener too over the winter. I dial the nitrous in myself with the LNC-2000 and the fuel and nitrous jets, once the PCM tune is perfect without spraying.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Thank you for the Kind Words Dan.
Your a Pleasure to work with.
Did you get a chance to test the latest revision?
I know the Weather turned Real cold last night.
Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
TinyToasta

Drives: way too fast....
I think I have to second Dan’s statement here.

Through the past 3 past years and especially through the last year where my setup has changed drastically, JRE was always there to support and advise above and beyond what I define as “usual”, even with a lot of the parts sourced from elsewhere.

Same story and approach as well on the tuning side… through the last 6 revisions of my tune since July last year we approached the limits carefully and the car ran stronger and stronger w/o leaving any risks on the table – the car has been carefully logged after each of the revisions.

I’m looking forward to the next couple of rounds with Ted when we’ll push the setup a bit further in the next weeks. I’m confident that we’re going to finish the car off as good as in the past 3 years.
CTS-V Brake upgrade, Street: 22'' Vossen CV1, Strip: 18'' Forgestar F14 on MT Street Radials
TinyToasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I cant wait for the weather to change so I can start tuning in my LS9 cam I added over winter. Ted has always helped me and answer any questions.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
dan0617

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Thank you for the Kind Words Dan.
Your a Pleasure to work with.
Did you get a chance to test the latest revision?
I know the Weather turned Real cold last night.
Ted.
No, it is only 20 degrees out here. Supposed to be up to 55 tomorrow, if I get home from work in time, I'll try it out tomorrow afternoon.

I'm using the bad weather time to concoct the next mod: think I'm gonna buy a LS1 oil level sensor, drill, seal and thread it into the Mr Freeze tank, then hook 1 side of it to chassis ground, and the other side of it to the ground side of a bright red LED in the car. That way I can tell my wife if the LED lights up, don't go WOT. She went WOT while driving 1 time, just long enough for the converter to unlock and the trans to jump back a couple gears. She had enough and let out of it.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
dan0617

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
I cant wait for the weather to change so I can start tuning in my LS9 cam I added over winter. Ted has always helped me and answer any questions.
You are from WI.....does the weather ever change??
Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
Ooh, yes, but not till we get it dead spot on without spraying. I actually installed a remote bottle opener too over the winter. I dial the nitrous in myself with the LNC-2000 and the fuel and nitrous jets, once the PCM tune is perfect without spraying.
Cool. You'll really appreciate the opener.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
I run one of Ted's built 6L80E transmissions as well as a rear diff he built for me. I've bought many smaller items from him and have had countless conversations on the phone. JRE's parts are running excellent in my car and I've found Ted to be very knowledgable, professional and easy to deal with. I look forward to continuing the relationship with Ted and JRE.

Bryan

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
dan0617

Getting dialed in closer. We added a touch of timing and removed some fuel. Ran it again Saturday. Still about 0.5 or so rich for what we are looking for. Car pulls hard. Makes me a little scared of the stock trans and rear when I start spraying it again. I will say Ted has upped line pressures and other things in the trans tune to help it live, and he does a trick in the engine tune to keep the torque reporting up to help the trans live too.

When I datalog the last run of a tune, I do a full 1/4 mile pull. I downloaded an app on my Iphone to give me 1/4 mile data. Not sure how accurate it is but the reviews were excellent. I didn't heat tires at all and it was cold out, and a little salt dust on road. I rolled the pedal down, still spun all of 1st and a little after the 1-2 shift. Absolute most I have ever spun on a launch, I think because of the salt dust from PennDOT salting the road a couple days before. App shows a 2.16 60' time, 11.90 @ 122. This is without nitrous. In the summer with a little heating of the tires it dead hooks on the street. If it does that again this year, I think it will touch the 10's without the spray. Maybe a 10.50 once the nitrous is dialed back in?? If the app is accurate, Not bad for a stock weight L99 convertible that is on the stock cam. Once the tune is dialed in I will heat the tires up good and post up the results it shows.

When I get to the track I'm going to run the app and see how accurate it is.