Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Ramblewood98

Drives: 12' 2LT RS Rally Yellow 'vert
METAL BAR UNDER THE HOOD???

Does anyone know why there is a bar reaching from one side of the engine compartment to the other...I have never seen this in any car I have ever owned...is it a camaro thing?? I will try to take pictures after work...I don't see it on any of the pictures you guys take and was wondering if it's needed...can't stand the way it looks when I look under the hood...any help would be appreciated thanks
Ramblewood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Is it the bar going strut to strut across the engine? It's for better handling and keeping the car stiffer. If you haven't owned a performance car, I doubt you would have had it before. People pay good money for these strut tower braces and for most other cars are a desired mod.

EDIT: IS this what you're talking about:

Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Standard on the vert you have... it adds some rigidity back to the car. The 'tower brace' is also added to the performance models for a tad better handling.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The strut tower brace? Most people love those.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
DON'T REMOVE IT! It stiffens up the car along with underbody bracing you cannot see to help where there is no hard top to strengthen the body. If it was not there the windshield frame would shake and shimmy like a hula dancer every time you hit a bump.
I think they enhance the under hood appearance myself.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
The Camaro body was designed to be rigid enough as a convertible, but the additional bracing was added to handle the performance owners may demand of the car. You may not notice a difference right away after removing it, but over time, it can effect how the convertible body flexes. Eventually, your hood lines and doors may not line up the same with your fenders. It can also effect how the car shutters over rougher roads.
It's part of being a performance car. You should be glad it has the brace. It's unfortunate Chevy didn't make it look like a finished part of the car. If you don't like the looks, dress it up. I polished the center and painted the ends, then added LEDs under it to light up the engine.

Name:  Tower Brace.jpg
Views: 3501
Size:  212.3 KB

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Ramblewood98

Wow,you guys don't mess around when it comes to answering posts...Thanks Ringo for the pic,that's exactly what I was looking at...This is my first sports car/convertible so I guess that's why I never saw a bar like that...IMO not very appealing to look at but I will leave it alone on the advise of AB...Really appreciate all the quick responses...This forum is awesome...Thanks again!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
i need to get one.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Ramblewood98

Love the set up Bodih...maybe I'll fix the esthetics with some RY and black paint
Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblewood98 View Post
Love the set up Bodih...maybe I'll fix the esthetics with some RY and black paint
Yeah, it needs some cosmetic adjustments.

Another benefit; since it's hollow, it's an easy way to route wires across the engine bay without being seen.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblewood98 View Post
Wow,you guys don't mess around when it comes to answering posts...Thanks Ringo for the pic,that's exactly what I was looking at...This is my first sports car/convertible so I guess that's why I never saw a bar like that...IMO not very appealing to look at but I will leave it alone on the advise of AB...Really appreciate all the quick responses...This forum is awesome...Thanks again!!!
Yep its a strut tower brace. If you do not like the look of the factory brace, you should easily be able to sell it for close to the price of an aftermarket brace if you like the look of an aftermarket brace better. That or paint it custom to your liking.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Ramblewood98

If that bar is my biggest complaint with this car(and it is)then I am way ahead of the game...nice tip about it doubling as wire mold though Bodih
Old 10-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
You need to remove it immediately! You can send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you............free of charge!
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Hey I paid some 700$ to purchase and get the installation done to get better handling. You have it for free. Keep it.

Name:  strut éclairé 01.jpg
Views: 3317
Size:  134.1 KB