Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Schnee
Future Proud Owner

Drives: Camaro will be my first =)
Arrow Camaro in the Snow

Hey, this is my first post on the site, and I hope you guys can help me. I'm 16 and i'm looking at the camaro for my first car. Heres the only problem: the snow. My dad said I can get the camaro, but he said because its rear wheel drive it won't be as good in the snow, so i won't be able to drive it that much. My sister has a mustang (i don't buy into the whole rivalry, if its an awesome car, i like it ) and it is terrible in the snow... to the point of being undriveable. Does anyone know if the camaro is going to be any better in the snow? it only snows a few times badly a winter here in Jersey, but i wanna be able to drive it all year round... thanks guys
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Just stay home when it snows. its not like we get much around here anymore. Plus the way people drive around here in the snow, I would not even risk taking mine out.
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
Hi there! A fellow Jersey boy Im up here in Morris County. It depends what trim you are getting. For example, the LS's fat skinny tires should be much better than the tires on the RS or SS. The Camaro also has traction control so it wont be TOO bad. Also, the more power you have, the trickier the car is in the snow, so the V6 LS/LT with the 17-19'' rims should be the best in the snow.
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
As a former owner of a GEN 3 V-8 powered Rocket Sled during my high school years, I can tell you with certainty that any rear wheel drive coupe is terrible in the snow.....I don't care if it has traction control, what kind of tires it has, etc.....there is no weight holding the drive wheels down.

You can get it, but you will be tempted to drive it in the snow (as I was)....its not fun being unable to get around in the snow, getting stuck, etc. the CAMARO is an awesome ride, but not a great choice for an only car where you live.

I'd say for a first car where you live, a nice SUV would be better suited to maximize your fun (the ability to carry about 5 cheer-leaders in it whose boyfriends all have rear wheel drive cars and can't go out in snow is never a bad thing)
Old 09-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
The Camaro wouldn't be a good car for a new driver. You need something underpowered and inexpensive to repair. You will make mistakes. We all did. One of the kids I graduated high school with, Nathan, his dad bought him a new Corvette for graduation. He never made it to the ceremony. This was 1978, in Altoona, Pennsylvania, for those who wish it can be verified in the Altoona Mirror.

Get a few years of experience under your belt, then go for the sports car.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I'll try and drop some info on the positive side of the coin here. (Although I agree a 300 HP car is too much for most new drivers, snow or sun.)

The snow worthiness was addressed at Indy. The all season tires (code AL2 I think) have 80% the performance needed to be rated as a snow tire. Plus the new Camaro come standard with stability control as well as traction control. It will be much more manageable in the bad weather than many FWDs with all season tires. The Camaro Engineer even stated he had couldn't get his G8 sideways in the Detroit winter snow.

Thats not to say the new Camaro will be plowing through snow banks, but it should be a much better than what we snow belt people have come to expect from RWD + Horsepower + Snow = No Go.
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Rays B4U

Drives: 2003 Silverado SS
If you do decide to get the Camaro and drive it in snow conditions I'd recommend buying a second set of cheap rims and put a good set of snow tires on them, not an "All Season" tire, but a SNOW tire, studded if legal, sipped if not. Then put about 100lbs of bags of floor dry or kitty litter in the trunk for weight, and it can also be used as a traction aide when you do get stuck. Don't know if the Camaro will have enough wheel well clearance for chains or not, but if so, a set of chains would be good to have for the "awe sh**" situations.
Rays B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
what does stabilatrak do?

i thought it helps in slippery conditions?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
I can tell you with certainty that any rear wheel drive coupe is terrible in the snow.....I don't care if it has traction control, what kind of tires it has, etc....
My Fieros have all been champions in the snow. They were all also rear wheel drive coupes.

Also, I'd like to corroborate some of what others have stated here:

1: 16? First car? Seriously man, drive it like you're a 65-year-old retiree all summer. Go buy an old pickup for winter driving. I know the last thing you want to hear is someone older than you tell you what to do, how to drive, WHAT to drive, but you're going to wreck your first car in the snow. Maybe sooner. Wouldn't you rather it be a 1984 Ford Ranger with speed holes and not your beloved camaro?
2: I get sick to death of the "RWD=crap snow car" crowd. My 77 firebird formula with no positraction went everywhere my buddy's Infiniti G20 went. Further in some cases. You can't just make a knee-jerk statement that blankets everything. With the advanced stability and traction control systems these cars have standard on even the LS, they will be a far cry from my old Firebird. Use some conventional wisdom like someone already said by putting winter tires on it with some extra weight in the trunk and you will have a fairly solid winter runner. That being said...
3. Driving well is a skill. Driving well in the winter is an entirely different skill set. No tips can help, you've just got to learn it by feel. Just remember, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
4. Most importantly, life is too short to drive boring cars! Front drive is totally overrated as a snow-friendly layout. Engine over drive wheels is not the panacea to the low-traction conditions of winter. There are many things about RWD snow dynamics which I MUCH prefer to FWD, oversteer versus understeer the most primary among them.

Do what you want, man, but don't wreck your new camaro, I implore you!
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Driving a Camaro in snow will most likely be hell on Earth. I'm sticking to the Malibu during winter.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Also, Schnee, nice username for your first post.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Schnee
Future Proud Owner

everybody's been really helpful... the comment about an old pickup... the other option i have is to drive my dad's expedition during the really bad weather. it only snows really badly twice or three times a year here, so i'd be able to drive the camaro mostly every day. about the camaro being my first car, in new jersey you get your permit at 16 and license at 17, and ive been driving my sister's mustang for 6 months now every day while she's at college =), so i think i'll be okay with the power
Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Schnee
Future Proud Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
Also, Schnee, nice username for your first post.
lol do you mean "future proud owner"? if so, thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
I drove an 04 G35 Coupe 6MT through three NJ/NY winters and an M6 06 GTO through one.

Be careful, learn how to control your car, and if you're getting an SS.....snow tires. Snow tires snow tires snow tires.

Tags
snow, winter