Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #57
SgtPickles69
Team LFX

Drives: Fast
100 LASHES WITH A WET NOODLE!!!
SgtPickles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #58
CRH83

Drives: 2013 Toyota SR5 4Runner 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper182 View Post
Yes my fellow camaro friends, I need to be taken out back and receive 20 lashes for my sins. Today I was coming home and saw on the local lot a 2007 Mustang Shelby GT. I decided to go look at it and I took it for a test drive. It had a lot of power and I loved the Hurst short throw shiftier in in. The dealer is a auto nut and he let me really get on it and it felt wonderful. We got back to the dealership and we started the process. I was able to knock them down 5 grand from there asking price and they were going to give me a great trade in price on my camaro and let me remove all the aftermarket parts and put her back to stock. I wont post the final price but it was insane. The shelby was clean, I mean CLEAN! One owner, a older gentleman who traded it in for a truck. It only had 22000 miles on it and all records with it. I got the price I wanted and everything was going great. My sales person had to go talk to the loan person about something. So I was sitting in the booth alone and this is no joke. As I was sitting there I looked out at my camaro sitting there all clean and sexy looking. I started to think of all that I have done to her and all the great times we have had. I felt like I was about to betray her. I could not trade her in. Sales person walked back in with all the documents to sign and I told him I had a moment of clarity and just can't bring myself to do it. Shredded the paperwork and I walked out, got in my camaro and left. As I was leaving I punched her and broke the tires loose and got that grin on my face again. I knew I made the right decision. I had a moment of weakness. Maybe this was a test lol.

FORGIVE me my Camaro brethren for I have sinned and I have come to confess my sin
Go look for a 2SS... it sounds like the V8 lured you in, however the Shelby GT isn't an upgrade in the power department over you LT. So if you love the looks of your Camaro and lust for V8 power and feel why not go SS over an old GT.
CRH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #59
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH83 View Post
Go look for a 2SS... it sounds like the V8 lured you in, however the Shelby GT isn't an upgrade in the power department over you LT.

Wrong the Shelby is faster no doubt. even with him being modded the shelby stock will still be faster. The HP might be close to the same but what about the torque? Fairly big diffrence in that department.

The cool thing about the Shelby GT is its actually a Shelby. Although the 500's say "Shelby GT500" they have never actually been to Shelby. They are made on the ford production line. Where as the Shelby GT is a true Shelby that has been moddified at his plant.

Still though to trade down to 3V just doesnt make sense, even with the Shelby cool factor. I think you made the right choice OP. Now go drive an SS or a 5.0 and get that V8 you are wanting.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #60
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Why? What a waste. Too many people put brand loyalty over everything else. It's a shame to dismiss a car just because of who makes it.
Chevy first, Chevy always
Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #61
CRH83

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
Wrong the Shelby is faster no doubt. even with him being modded the shelby stock will still be faster. The HP might be close to the same but what about the torque? Fairly big diffrence in that department.

The cool thing about the Shelby GT is its actually a Shelby. Although the 500's say "Shelby GT500" they have never actually been to Shelby. They are made on the ford production line. Where as the Shelby GT is a true Shelby that has been moddified at his plant.

Still though to trade down to 3V just doesnt make sense, even with the Shelby cool factor. I think you made the right choice OP. Now go drive an SS or a 5.0 and get that V8 you are wanting.
Ford recertified the 2007 Shelby GT at 319hp and 330tq. 0-60 is 5 flat, 1/4 at 13.6 @ 104 mph. 2010 Camaro V6 is rated at 304hp and 273 lbs. 0-60 is 6.1 and 1/4 at 14.2 @ 104 mph.

In my book a second to 60 is not a big difference, and through the 1/4 the gap drops to .8 seconds... again not a huge difference. Why go to something that is only slightly faster when an SS does 0-60 in 4.6-4.8 depending on transmission and 1/4 at 13.0-13.1 @ 109-111 mph.

It seems obvious to me that the SS is not only the faster stock for stock vehicle but also has a much larger aftermarket to increase that hp difference much easier than on the Shelby. If you are going to trade up why not do it right?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #62
HeavyIOM

Quote:
Ford recertified the 2007 Shelby GT at 319hp and 330tq. 0-60 is 5 flat, 1/4 at 13.6 @ 104 mph. 2010 Camaro V6 is rated at 304hp and 273 lbs. 0-60 is 6.1 and 1/4 at 14.2 @ 104 mph.

In my book a second to 60 is not a big difference, and through the 1/4 the gap drops to .8 seconds... again not a huge difference. Why go to something that is only slightly faster when an SS does 0-60 in 4.6-4.8 depending on transmission and 1/4 at 13.0-13.1 @ 109-111 mph.

It seems obvious to me that the SS is not only the faster stock for stock vehicle but also has a much larger aftermarket to increase that hp difference much easier than on the Shelby. If you are going to trade up why not do it right?

Just stating the fact that the shelby is faster. 1 second might not seem like that big of a diffrence on paper, but the diffrence you feel driving the cars is a big diffrence. Of corse the SS is faster stock for stock i never sadi it wasnt. I wouldnt say the aftermarket is bigger for the SS then it is for the Shelby. The Mustang aftermarket is almost endless.

I stated that trading down to a 3v just didnt make sense, and that he should test drive an SS or a 5.0 if hes wanting a V8.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #63
CRH83

Quote:
Just stating the fact that the shelby is faster. 1 second might not seem like that big of a diffrence on paper, but the diffrence you feel driving the cars is a big diffrence. Of corse the SS is faster stock for stock i never sadi it wasnt. I wouldnt say the aftermarket is bigger for the SS then it is for the Shelby. The Mustang aftermarket is almost endless.
My last muscle car was a 2003 Mach 1 with an 03 Cobra swap making between 450-475whp. I have owned an 04' stock Mach 1 as well... the performance aftermarket for Mustangs is roots style and centrifugal superchargers... really that's pretty much it. Yeah you can play with nitrous, but there aren't a huge amount of aftermarket heads for the mod motors, and cams are expensive, etc.

I'm not a Ford hater by any stretch of the imagination and I have owned some very fast cars. However the 07 GT is not the jump I would make out of a LLT Camaro, I would say based on how close the numbers are that on the street it's a drivers race. If I decided I really wanted a V8 and I loved the looks of my LLT I would be looking for an SS with LS3.

Quote:
I stated that trading down to a 3v just didnt make sense, and that he should test drive an SS or a 5.0 if hes wanting a V8.
I agree though the new 5.0 doesn't feel as sporty to me, the exhaust is quiet in comparison, the seating position is much higher. Beyond that there are some cooling issues with the V8 and the 6-speed manual has some issues as well.

JD Power just ranked the Camaro #1 in quality out of it's competitors, and I believe that.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #64
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
Duh thanks dick tracy. I wasn't talking to you. Thought he was talking about values not just regular a Camaro smart ass. Always has to be a smart ass on a thread.

freaking perfect!!!! thanks for that laugh!!!
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #65
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
Quote:
My last muscle car was a 2003 Mach 1 with an 03 Cobra swap making between 450-475whp. I have owned an 04' stock Mach 1 as well... the performance aftermarket for Mustangs is roots style and centrifugal superchargers... really that's pretty much it. Yeah you can play with nitrous, but there aren't a huge amount of aftermarket heads for the mod motors, and cams are expensive, etc.

I'm not a Ford hater by any stretch of the imagination and I have owned some very fast cars. However the 07 GT is not the jump I would make out of a LLT Camaro, I would say based on how close the numbers are that on the street it's a drivers race. If I decided I really wanted a V8 and I loved the looks of my LLT I would be looking for an SS with LS3.

I agree though the new 5.0 doesn't feel as sporty to me, the exhaust is quiet in comparison, the seating position is much higher. Beyond that there are some cooling issues with the V8 and the 6-speed manual has some issues as well.

JD Power just ranked the Camaro #1 in quality out of it's competitors, and I believe that.
The 07 shelby would be alot more fun to drive, they have plenty of power, the torque is just much greater than the v6 camaro.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #66
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
The Shelby GT will hold its value better than a LS trim, SS trim Camaro or the GT500. That alone would be a good reason to trade up. If you just plan to own the car for a little while and drive the crap out of it while you have it, go with the SS Camaro option.
I disagree, you can't give away an 05-09 mustang around here, i like them though, gt500 always hold their value, and the ss camaro is boss. lol.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #67
HeavyIOM

Quote:

I'm a lover of both GM and ford. Anything I wanted to do with any of my previous Mustangs I could do. Weather that be cams, heads, N20, other forms of FI.

I agree if you're spending the cash why go from a newer car to a pretty out dated car? To say its a drivers race on the street is nothing but wrong. Now a stock 2V would probably be a drivers race.

I agree that the stock exhaust is stupidly quiet! IMO though the 5.0 is the sportier feeling of the two. Yes there have been some problems, but just like any other cars there's always going to be some with problems. Out of the ones sold a very tiny margin have the problems. Between my Mustang and Camaro, the Mustang is far superior in quality to my Camaro. I'm a little disappointed its barely a year old and already has squeaks and rattles. The actual design of the Camaro I like better. GM did a good job with the design of the 5th gen, but IMO very poor with the quality.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #68
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: Prius
Lol I thought you were talking about a GT500 until I read the comments. I would take a GT500 over an SS.
Bumble.Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #69
CRH83

Quote:
I'm a lover of both GM and ford. Anything I wanted to do with any of my previous Mustangs I could do. Weather that be cams, heads, N20, other forms of FI.
What are your previous Mustangs because 95 and older Mustangs with the 5.0 had a huge aftermarket, the mod motors for years had pretty much NO aftermarket, and the current after market is mainly focused on FI. The numbers of heads and cams available is a fraction of whats available for the current SBC's and have you priced 4 cams for a 5.0 or 4.6 DOHC... BIG MONEY!

Quote:
I agree if you're spending the cash why go from a newer car to a pretty out dated car? To say its a drivers race on the street is nothing but wrong. Now a stock 2V would probably be a drivers race.
Actually it's completely right. The numbers posted were the absolute best numbers that "MotorTrend" and "Car and Driver" could get out of both vehicles. On the street and not a prepped track, it will really come down to the better driver. A missed 1-2 shift, or 3-4 shift, traction issues, slow shifting, etc. will determine the race. If both drivers are competent the Camaro will lose by a small margin, with a V6...

Quote:
Yes there have been some problems, but just like any other cars there's always going to be some with problems. Out of the ones sold a very tiny margin have the problems. Between my Mustang and Camaro, the Mustang is far superior in quality to my Camaro.
#7 cylinder cooling / misfire, Engine tick, Loss of Power, Hard Shifts to outright failures on MT82 six-speed... that's more problems than your average car and definitely more than the Camaro. I agree the interior was nicer in the GT but only compared to the 10-11 Camaro...
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #70
HeavyIOM

Quote:
What are your previous Mustangs because 95 and older Mustangs with the 5.0 had a huge aftermarket, the mod motors for years had pretty much NO aftermarket, and the current after market is mainly focused on FI. The numbers of heads and cams available is a fraction of whats available for the current SBC's and have you priced 4 cams for a 5.0 or 4.6 DOHC... BIG MONEY!
Iv had a few 99-04 GTs and a couple 05-09 GTs. Like I said before anything I wanted to do could be done.

Quote:
Actually it's completely right. The numbers posted were the absolute best numbers that "MotorTrend" and "Car and Driver" could get out of both vehicles. On the street and not a prepped track, it will really come down to the better driver. A missed 1-2 shift, or 3-4 shift, traction issues, slow shifting, etc. will determine the race. If both drivers are competent the Camaro will lose by a small margin, with a V6...
In that theory any race is a drivers race. Of corse if you have some one that has absolutely no idea how to push the gas and steer at the same time and are trying to race is going to lose. I could beat a corvette with my fosus if it had a driver like that. In reality a missed shift or traction issues from the Shelby is not enough for the V6 to make up the difference. The Shelby is still going to reel in the V6

Quote:
#7 cylinder cooling / misfire, Engine tick, Loss of Power, Hard Shifts to outright failures on MT82 six-speed... that's more problems than your average car and definitely more than the Camaro. I agree the interior was nicer in the GT but only compared to the 10-11 Camaro...

I'm comparing it to my Camaro whitch is a 12. Look wise the Camaros interior is awesome. Quality wise not so much.

Almost all of what you listed came to be know after a tune was installed. It was a brand new motor tuners still had a lot to learn about it. Most of it effected mostly 11's a little less on the 12's and its almost weeded out with the 13's. just like with any new engine, or tranny, or design. The first few model years are going to have bugs that need worked out. Even the Camaro had bugs to be worked out and it wasn't a new engine or tranny. I agree the 6M tranny's aren't the best, but there are plenty out there that have had zero problems and are abused regularly.