Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #99
SDRiverRat

Drives: 1991 RS Camaro
A great write up by a talented writer and an amazing car. Thanks for your work Dragoneye!
SDRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #100
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I kind of get the idea he liked it

Great write-up
He thought it was ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrez View Post
That was a great writeup Joe! The entire media event was an awesome experience to be a part of. I can't wait to receive my car even more than before!

It was great to meet and hang out with you on the trip. We most definitely have to do it again!
You're just out to boost your growing post count here.

Congrats to you too. You guys are a couple lucky dawgs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
What can I say. That is just flat-out awesome! The only thing I think they should have done is put the manual mode shifting on the console. My new Cruze has this feature. Just pull the stick over and you can shift up or down. If the Camaro had that, it would almost want me to get an auto with the autostick. Well, probably not, but it sure is damn nice. Would have been SWEET on this ZL1.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #101
BU_Gingerneer

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green SS/ RS
Barn = Ultimate Man Cave
BU_Gingerneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #102
Brad02SS

Drives: 02 35th LE SS, 08 G8 GT
Quote:
What can I say. That is just flat-out awesome! The only thing I think they should have done is put the manual mode shifting on the console. My new Cruze has this feature. Just pull the stick over and you can shift up or down. If the Camaro had that, it would almost want me to get an auto with the autostick. Well, probably not, but it sure is damn nice. Would have been SWEET on this ZL1.
My G8 has the manual mode on the console and I wish it had the paddles. The idea is your hands should already be on the steering wheel. Just not sure it's better with them on the column so you always know where the paddles are or on the wheel so they somewhat move with your hands.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #103
camaro10

Drives: 2012 45TH Anniversary SS
Wow! Great write up! I know you can't wait to get yours! I was suprised to see some 45th's in some of the pics, what were they there for?

My newest edition, Chevy V8 Power!
camaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #104
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
gotta love those other renderings...I wonder if there will be changes using the renderings as ideas or was it used to make the current ZL1?

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #105
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02SS View Post
My G8 has the manual mode on the console and I wish it had the paddles. The idea is your hands should already be on the steering wheel. Just not sure it's better with them on the column so you always know where the paddles are or on the wheel so they somewhat move with your hands.
I had a G8 GT before the Camaro. Both the slap shift and the paddle shifts have there positives and negatives.

Paddles you dont have to take your hand off the wheel. However I have noticed that with the camaro and the tap shift with street driving and making turns. If you are in manual mode you will have to go through the whole turn in 1st as its hard to find where the paddles go. You make more then a half turn of the wheel to turn a corner.

the paddle shifting of the camaro is more responsive. Dont know if it has to do with the paddles or what.

At least in the G8 if someone saw you driving manual mode you could somewhat confuse them and have them think its a stick because you move your hand down.
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #106
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Joe, I gave you a hard time for not posting sooner, primarily because I was incredibly jealous of your wonderful opportunity to drive the ZL1 and at a world renowned race track to boot. So please forgive my impatience. And Jealousy.

I have read a lot of articles about cars in my many years and yours ranks among the best. The more that a writer can take a reader and put them in the middle of the story, the better the story and the writer. You did just that. You put everyone of us in the car with you. We felt what you felt through your words. We felt the rumble of the exhaust note beneath us and the exhilaration of the G forces through the turns. We have all been chomping at the bit to receive our ZL1's and living vicariously through your experiences with the Z are calming. But my pride of owning this car was not quelled at all.

Your pictures were great as well and yes I stole a bunch of them for my iPhoto ZL1 Collection. Very well written and worth the wait, but I am still jealous.

A few questions:
What are your feelings about the suede steering wheel and shifter?

Having spent time with both the auto and stick, which would you prefer?

How easy or hard will it be to remove the belly pan to change the oil?

What changes would you make in the ZL1 if you could?

Can I take your place the next time the opportunity arises?

Thanks again for everything that you do for Camaro5, but I am still jealous.

Last edited by OldJedi; 03-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #107
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
all is well - off to Cleveland on Friday - then 'off' (so to speak) for two weeks!

I love 'seeing' the ZL1 thru Joe's eyes..........

This truly is a time for all Camaro enthusiasts to celebrate!
Fbodfather, take car of yourself and we will see you soon.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #108
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Dang is it just me or does the belly pan have to be removed to change the oil ?
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #109
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Joe

Great pictures and story Looks like your really enjoyed your time with the ZL1's . Hopefully # 214 will be tearing up the streets of Western NY in no time at all .

Mike Judge
Super60

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #110
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
A very honest and well-written observation. As I was reading this, I kept thinking back to articles I've read about such cars as the Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari 458 Italia and even the Nissan GT-R. All the technical expertise and engineering marvels that produce a $100,000, $300,000, or $1.3M car. GM has built capabilities into this car that we never dreamed would be available to us at $55,000!

What possibly could be next???

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #111
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Awesome write up!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #112
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Awesome. Just getting ready to order mine
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote