Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #29
GATORJAK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaux96 View Post
There is no such thing as a cop magnet - unless your car makes you break the law, then yeah maybe it's a cop magnet. But then any car can be a cop magnet.

If a cop stops you and talks about how he just wanted to check out your car, then he is either A.- (most likely) has a valid reason to stop you but just wants to be friendly chat you up and admire your car for a second, B. - wants to keep you talking because he thinks you might be drunk, or C. - (very unlikely) actually stopped you for no reason but just to check out your car, which is illegal and he is jeopardizing his career just to tell you nice car, which you should say thanks and then drive right to the station and report it.
WOW!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #30
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Honestly, God only knows. Sounds like you need to keep praying for such good luck.... as far as no tickets
Maybe you have a car that looks like someone they know.
Could be alot of DUI extra duty in the area. I know people who work it and use every little thing in the title book just to legally stop the car and see if the operator has been drinking they aren't really interested in citing for any other violations. If your stops are late at night thats probably whats going on especially with the steering and hugging the line car stops. Now the " sounded like you were speeding" sounds a little suspect....either you were speeding or you weren't...I've never stopped someone just for the sound?
Now, I have used a car's sound to check and hit them with the LIDAR. I will say, loud exhaust makes you turn your head, but really its the owners fault thats what you put it on for and its not the car/Camaro.... it could be a pickup truck or little rice burner with a fart can ya know what I mean?

Thanks for your reply. I did have the LSP do a field sobriety test, funny thing is I don't drink. All but one of the stops have happened after dark. Ya know the bottom line is that I am a law abiding citizen and not some punk kid speeding through neighborhood streets or driving reckless. Face it if I was speeding they would of all had no problem writing that ticket. Just feeling it is harassment sometimes. I have a Loud Red Camaro with 21" wheels and a drop top. Pulled over once in my H3. And even you have called me not getting a ticket "luck"... that comment scares me. I think they were all fishing which just isn't kewl.

That I am legal and have broken no laws and my progress is impeded and delayed while they run my name and ask me questions is a violation of my 10 amendment rights and others no matter their cause. Not to mention the embarrassment when it happens right in front your house for all the neighbors to see. It, law enforcement, has got to be a tough job, and I respect that. think this respect shows when I am stopped and that is why my rights have not been further violated by some "technical citation" issued.

So Camaro equals cop magnet... it has for me.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #31
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
If the officer is a "car guy" maybe.... other than that which car do you think will have more chances of having something wrong with it....??? the nice clean brand new sports car in perfect shape and/or modded.........or the dirty minivan with dents and dirt who is less likely to not have insurance??? not enough $$ to keep up their license and registration??? the guy with the $40K muscle car or the guy with the $900 minivan..... think about it.... as far as speeding....like I said its all about who is moving faster..... I don't give a sh-- if its a Yugo or a Lambo I will pull either of them over if they are over my limit. (usually 20 over), they are all equal thru the sights.... now which one am I more likely to find other violations.... obviously its the hoopdie

The only difference in your Camaro is that you have the ability to go real damn fast in a freakin' hurry and chances are when you get clocked you are gonna be giving her a good run down the highway. BUT thats not really the fault of the car if you get my meaning...

JUST FYI... I have pulled over 6 5th gens since they came out. I only gave one guy tickets... but hey 71/45 , driving suspended, and no proof of insurance....he forced my hand....
4 were for speeding 16+ and one for having a smoked cover over his tag.. I couldn't read it.
and I have all the reason in the world to want to talk to all Camaro owners I see and I don't do it unless there is a good reason.

I average 400 to 600 car stops a year..
Understood to a point but you also twist it to your point. Never said anything about some old rust bucket with mufflers hanging off and a guy driving it that you would want to call for back up 1st!

Maybe your an exception but obviously the majority thinks otherwise! All I am saying is that with a car like these that draw attention and have them high possibility of breaking the law i.e. speeding etc... they will get it and therefor be called a "cop magnet" nothing personal. just a fact!
This is something most of us know even before we purchased the car so it's our own choice.

neuf cruz
Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #32
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Thanks for your reply. I did have the LSP do a field sobriety test, funny thing is I don't drink. All but one of the stops have happened after dark. Ya know the bottom line is that I am a law abiding citizen and not some punk kid speeding through neighborhood streets or driving reckless. Face it if I was speeding they would of all had no problem writing that ticket. Just feeling it is harassment sometimes. I have a Loud Red Camaro with 21" wheels and a drop top. Pulled over once in my H3. And even you have called me not getting a ticket "luck"... that comment scares me. I think they were all fishing which just isn't kewl.

That I am legal and have broken no laws and my progress is impeded and delayed while they run my name and ask me questions is a violation of my 10 amendment rights and others no matter their cause. Not to mention the embarrassment when it happens right in front your house for all the neighbors to see. It, law enforcement, has got to be a tough job, and I respect that. think this respect shows when I am stopped and that is why my rights have not been further violated by some "technical citation" issued.

So Camaro equals cop magnet... it has for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Understood to a point but you also twist it to your point. Never said anything about some old rust bucket with mufflers hanging off and a guy driving it that you would want to call for back up 1st!

Maybe your an exception but obviously the majority thinks otherwise! All I am saying is that with a car like these that draw attention and have them high possibility of breaking the law i.e. speeding etc... they will get it and therefor be called a "cop magnet" nothing personal. just a fact!
This is something most of us know even before we purchased the car so it's our own choice.

neuf cruz
6 car stops between the 2 of you and not one ticket.... sounds like the cars I need to pull over to make my month.... sure sounds like a waste of time to me.....
Looks guys I can only tell you from the point of view of the "other" side. Can't really say I am twisting anything cause thats what I do and the majority of officers around me and the ones I talk to.... its just the circumstances I deal with day in and day out. If your perception is that its the car then thats fine, but I can tell you otherwise at least from my professional view. I am sure that a majority of the officers on this site will also hold the same opinions that I do. guess you guys are just unlucky and have found the few officers that will do that.
If its that bad, that you feel these guys are violating your rights and have no just cause, then file a complaint with their department. I never worry about it cause I always know that I am doing stuff by the book.
And look I have a muffler delete, smoked windows and a spoiler on my car and can't say I drive like a complete angel and no officer has even looked twice at me even when I know for a fact that they should/could pull me over... even out of state. I've gotten more attention in my '00 Z71 then in that car.

Good luck to both of you....

Just for kicks I asked 2 State Troopers who were at Court before I left, 7 guys from my shift, and 10 from the oncoming shift and not one of them said they cared about the kind of car the person was driving. Not one and only one other guy has pulled over a 5th gen Camaro as a matter of fact the offender is a C5 member (who got a warning by the way thanks to a certain person who heard it over the radio)

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 12-16-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I was thrown off a bit by the OP stating that he was "Parked at the Stop Light"............very good reason to get pulled over or more likely, being "Parked at a Red light" getting yanked from behind the wheel by your ear lobes :-)

Anywho's ............be glad you're not driving a V8 or the SWAT team would have dismantled your entire car in the intersection. lmao

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 12-15-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'BlueCoupe View Post
Ok folks this thing is a cop magnet, I live in a tiny town just outside of Athens GA and now am the only one here with a Camaro, all the cops here know my face and it is actually a friendly little town where everyone knows each other.
I am parked at the red light (the only one this town has) and I noticed the the cop right behind me and I didn't think nothing of it, I told my wife the the Ol'man is behind me(our little nick name for this particular cop) he has pulled me over once one morning when I was doing 43 in a 25 zone in my Monte Carlo, but he let me go with a warning.
so anyways the light turned green and I got going and within a half block distance he lit up the lights and pulled me over. My wife looked at me and said "I told you you were going to get pulled over because the dealer put 1-5-11 on my temporary tags instead of 1-5-12" I agreed.
When he came walking up I had the window rolled down and commented to him"you sure like pulling me over don't ya?" he then recognized me and says "You need to contact that dumba$$ who filled out your tag because technically that thing is expired" we both laughed. He says "Honestly I mainly wanted to check out this sweet machine you got here, thats why I pulled you over" Then I got lectured about how a state trooper can and will cite me on the temp tag screw up even though it isn't my fault, I told him if that happens then the dealer will be stuck with the bill on that one.
This is the first time I was ever pulled over just so the cop can check out my car.
frankly you DID catch a break! i would take care of that if i was you!
don't give 'em any more ammo than is necessary to grab ya! car's a target to begin with,ya don't need that hassle! just sayin'
Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #35
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post

neuf cruz
i see the officer's point,however he is in denial,if he says the car is NOT a target!.the car turns heads period,and that includes cops heads too,and when THAT happens,they are lookin' for "somethin' wrong"..why? it's instinct,and because that is their job to "look" for law breaking activity,so therefore,when the 'maro flashes by,and the cop sees it,don't believe for a second,he's NOT gonna follow it with his eyes,and determine if it's doin' somethin illegal. also! bear in mind a police officer can stop ANY vehicle on "suspicion" alone!..just sayin'
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #36
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I aint no target.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #37
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I aint no target.
i agree! you shouldn't feel that you are a target,but you can bet the farm
you ARE gonna be watched by cops more closely as you drive by them,or they spot you on the road somewhere ! count on it!..just be careful,and definitely
use a radar detector!..i would suggest a val one!..just sayin'
Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #38
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
OH YAY!!!!.......Another "I got pulled over" thread....

Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #39
SILVERHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
OH YAY!!!!.......Another "I got pulled over" thread....

Hey TRC!!!!

Yeah, well its the great Camaro conspiracy going on haven't you heard. If these people would stop being so paranoid and just drive their rides without thinking "OH God, there's a cop I better watch out I'm in a Camaro" things would be alot better. Ya know they gotta have that "I'm driving Suspended look on their face to get pulled over so much ha ha.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #40
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaux96 View Post
There is no such thing as a cop magnet

That’s why we have saying like arrest me red and ticket me yellow, never gonna catch me black. [black hides or mask your speed, red and yellow look faster then actual speed and are both ticket magnets.]
Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #41
Cvega

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS Black
There are cars that blend in more with the traffic. Mini vans, mustangs, basic Camrys, and so on. Camaros, same as red cars, attract more attention. So in my opinion if an infraction is happening more probable it will get pulled over.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
SILVERHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
That’s why we have saying like arrest me red and ticket me yellow, never gonna catch me black. [black hides or mask your speed, red and yellow look faster then actual speed and are both ticket magnets.]