Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!!!!! Should I get one?

As a 22 year old Ive always been pretty good with money. Saving and not buying what I cant afford. Im currently deployed in Iraq and have a lil under a year left in the USMC. When I get home at the end of year I plan on buying a new car. I have planned on buying 2010 2ss because I could never settle for a V6 with a muscle car.

I currently have a 2003 Lincoln LS that I plan on selling which would be part of a down payment for a new/newer car. With what I want with the 2ss I plan on paying somewhere around 36/37k after taxes and registration? I plan on putting a down payment on half that.

So with about 18 down and still having over 15k in the bank. I will be living at home going to college for free w/a part time job plus an extra 1100 a month.

My biggest ? is do you think that it is affordable to get a 2010 2SS.

Im going beyond what I think is the smartest because you only live once right but if I think that it is going to be too much to try and afford a brand new camaro then I will settle for a low mile 2002 SS

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!!! Being young there is always something new to learn.

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
RobbRock
Consultant Camino Real

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to RobbRock
Go for the 2SS
RobbRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I would go for a 2SS, you deserve it, you sound like you have your life in good order, and thank you for your service.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
racert33
waiting for white

Drives: vertically challenged 95 c/k
it sounds like you are pretty set financially to do this. i'd say go for it! you said it yourself, you only live once. i highly doubt that you'll ever regret getting this car
Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUCE View Post
As a 22 year old Ive always been pretty good with money. Saving and not buying what I cant afford. Im currently deployed in Iraq and have a lil under a year left in the USMC. When I get home at the end of year I plan on buying a new car. I have planned on buying 2010 2ss because I could never settle for a V6 with a muscle car.

I currently have a 2003 Lincoln LS that I plan on selling which would be part of a down payment for a new/newer car. With what I want with the 2ss I plan on paying somewhere around 36/37k after taxes and registration? I plan on putting a down payment on half that.

So with about 18 down and still having over 15k in the bank. I will be living at home going to college for free w/a part time job plus an extra 1100 a month.

Im going beyond what I think is the smartest because you only live once right but if I think that it is going to be too much to try and afford a brand new camaro then I will settle for a low mile 2002 SS

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!!! Being young there is always something new to learn.
If you plan to remain single for several years, you can get a 2SS, but be wary. If you meet somebody special, you won't be in a position to do much saving. Always keep your options open. If you are involved with somebody now and the relationship is good, then I would probably get the 2002 SS with low mileage. Make sure you weigh every scenario carefully first before you commit to a new 2010 SS.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Scooter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
SEMPER FI DEVIL DOG!!! I would go 2SS, sounds like you can make it work.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUCE View Post

if you dont get the ss you will go back to iraq!!! j/k
Old 05-16-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
infernoinandout

Drives: 2010 camaross/rs
Smile

If you want muscle there are so many mustangs out there with low mileage and lots of power, no its not a camaro but would be more affordable at 22 and an uncertain future. I would use the 1100 a month for an apartment and slowly buy furniture so when you get a house after college your set and not have to worry about were your going to sit once you get the house. I never bought impulse and am living very comfortable now at age 40. I am only buying a camaro because I have everything else I need, the car will sit most of the time. Really think about were you want to be at 30.
infernoinandout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
racingray68
racingray

Drives: 1968 camaro ss
If you are going to college forget about the car and concentrate on school, you will have enough time in your young life to get what you want 3 or 4 years down the road .Also with all the partying that goes on in school do you really want to be drunk an go jump into a 426 hp car.Just wait dude 4 years gos by really quick, plus the camaro probably will be better by then.
racingray68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
Don't forget to get a few Car Insurance quotes also,any speeding tickets lately?Other that,I'd say go for it.If you have any intentions of getting married in the near future...make sure you get all your "Toys" before you get married...Seriously!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
2ssJB
Software Engineer

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to 2ssJB
I got out of active duty after four years and easily lived off the GI Bill for 3 months without a job. I got a part time job because I bought a 30k car. I would definatley go for it because it sounds like you will still have enough in the bank to cover anything that might come up. Paymenst on 15k with 3.99% financing is around 350 a month for 5 yrs. Get the car u want now! It's a gift to yourself for the time u spent in the sand box and you deserve it! I bought myself a house after the first trip ( not 100% paid for ). The 2nd trip I just got a 60in plasma.

Do it!!!! 2Ss all the way.

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." M. Gandhi
2ssJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
SAUCE

I appriciate the input. Ive pretty much thought this through and through I just like to hear others input. My school is free, Im living at home so school is my concentration, So the car would be my only bill for a while

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
Old 05-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #13
CamaroHutch

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
I'd Get one!

2SS RS RJT

Delivery?? 5/27/09 #10630

AFTERMARKET:
Hurst STS
Borla ATAK Catback
CamaroHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
SAUCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernoinandout View Post
If you want muscle there are so many mustangs out there with low mileage and lots of power, no its not a camaro but would be more affordable at 22 and an uncertain future. I would use the 1100 a month for an apartment and slowly buy furniture so when you get a house after college your set and not have to worry about were your going to sit once you get the house. I never bought impulse and am living very comfortable now at age 40. I am only buying a camaro because I have everything else I need, the car will sit most of the time. Really think about were you want to be at 30.
My first two cars were camaros! I could never settle for a mustang. Worse come to worse I would just buy a low mile 2002 SS and put a couple G's into it.

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth