Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Daniel6210

Drives: 2010 camaro maroon ss rs
Car running weird surging

My car is running really bad, I need help, when coasting down to a stop the rpms raise without pressing the gas, and then when maintaining a steady throttle the rpms drop randomly it started when I put on long tube headers
Had lt headers but put on stock manifold and cats back on problem continued
Have cold air intake
Have done oem plugs and wires
Brand new spark plug was also cracked thought that would fix problem but it didn't
Have changed just the air filter no problem was found
Did smoke test on intake and no vacuum leaks were found
47740 miles on the clock has reduced power at low rpms but barely enough to notice

Last edited by Daniel6210; 06-18-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Daniel6210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
No check engine light? What about Service Stabiltrak?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Wait what?! Did you say you had headers on the car and took them off as a possible solution?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Clean your Maf with Maf cleaner check by reconnecting its electrical connection, check catch can for leaks, your removing and taking off the headers for which you should have had to be tuned is not good , and you may have damaged the o2s which are old by now and probably not long for this world depending on mileage...You may have had just a minor problem you are exacerbating such as the pedal potentiometer going out, dirty maf leak around the Maf seal, problem with the pedal as they have gone bad on here and seen it more than once or bad throttle body motor/ sticky throttle body. Most plugs come pre-gapped right .040 range if your using iridium don't ever gap them its a brittle wire like platinum. Tr6ix is the plug used by most cammed or header car in NGK usually a 7 range for FI, stock plugs and wires are usually fine. Your removing the exhaust and replacing it and must be reverting to stock tune... Have you tried unplugging the battery also for a while to reset things? And loading back in the stock tune of course? With most cold air intakes people often oil them and pollute the Maf also not letting it be thoroughly dry or over oiled a often reported thing for any car.

You raise up more questions as to what you have done to the car. Check the grounds to your fuel injection in three places on the heads also and their injectors connectors, look under the valve covers even ,do what you have to do by systematically looking things over. Good Luck Without a history of all your mods over time you could be on the stock battery stumbling from simple charging failure, and headers require as you should know removing the rear o2s from the tune of the ECU and delayed response code disabled from the fronts placement further in the exhaust. If you had High flow cats? Any engine noise and I would take the valve covers off to closely look over the springs, pushrods, and especially the trunnions, you do not mention if your manual or auto either, a manual can be forced into overrevs from downshifting called mechanical over rev which does limit the springs life greatly if done badly.. Our springs are only tested to 7,000 rpm even aftermarket usually while a ls7 has 7 grand as its red line ours is lower. Lots to think about.

Last edited by christianchevell; 06-18-2017 at 09:17 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Would definitely start with cleaning the MAF and looking for leaks in the intake track. Did you do any work on the throttle body? I also have to ask about the decision to take the headers off. Don't see that as an issue at all. Idle control issues would likely be from the MAF to the intake.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I just had to replace my Throttle body on my 2011, it was surging and dropping off for months before it threw the light. Sucks to because it was a Bo White ported piece. Stupid resistor pack (TPS Sensor) not being separately replaceable is BS GM.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
Daniel6210

Sorry for confusion the problem started when I put on headers. I have oe m manifolds back on. I already replaced the maf sensor and spark plugs are oe iridum. And I I have no lights on dash.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
You might want to check your engine grounds as there are i think 2 that bolt to the headers. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221700 Post #2

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Daniel6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
You might want to check your engine grounds as there are i think 2 that bolt to the headers. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221700 Post #2
I just now checked all engine grounds none of them are bolted to headers all grounds are secure
Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You may just have to take it in for a proper diagnoses.
Was it tuned after the headers install?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Daniel6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
You may just have to take it in for a proper diagnoses.
Was it tuned after the headers install?
No but there are no headers on right now
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Gone But Not forgotten.
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #13
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
Change all of the spark plugs. You cracked one when you put the headers in, a tiny crack you won't see will be a problem. The same exact thing happened to me.

Also swap out the MAF for a "strong" one. Do a little research, and it will make sense.
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yup I cracked one once myself....its hard with the plug angles to get them all in and in a tight socket....