Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluver View Post
This isn't any slight noise, it is loud and can't no way be normal. It just started this noise last Friday and we have had the CAI on since about a week or so after we got the car in August.

Hmmm maybe the mechanic started it and forgot to put oil in first? Then just threw the oil in and tried to pass it off like everything is cool.

Very well could be a spun bearing if that happened. I would think the car would pull mad timing thinking it was knock, but you never know.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '05 Impala, '10 IOM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to camaroluver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Vincent Price View Post
Hmmm maybe the mechanic started it and forgot to put oil in first? Then just threw the oil in and tried to pass it off like everything is cool.

Very well could be a spun bearing if that happened. I would think the car would pull mad timing thinking it was knock, but you never know.
Nope not the mechanics error, it started that morning when my husband started the car to leave and take it in for the oil change.....just perfect timing since we already had an appt I guess. That was the first thing they checked when they pulled it in though was the oil.
2010 Camaro 2SS IOM/Black Interior/Black Hood & Hockey Stripes #26,805
Ordered 1/30/09 as a surprise for me by the best husband ever! Delivered 8/6/09 to me!!!

camaroluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
MAYH3M

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
I'm just wondering why do people downshift? I have never and I mean never downshifted in any car. I simply slap it in N and just brake and depending on where the speed is determines which gear I throw it into. Sorry off topic just wanted to ask that since you mentioned downshifting.

And yes I have been driving manuals for over 15 years so no I'm no rookie
Your not supposed to. Imagine you down shifting the Transmission coming up to a stop light. Your Transmission will absorb most of the forward force, which your Brake rotors and and Pads usually do.

By throwing it in Neutral, your completely eliminating the drivetrain resistance you had when you were in gear. Now the complete weight of your car, and it's force have to be slowed down by the Brake alone.

Does this make any sense? Just try downshifting slowly when your coming up to a red light. Don't worry, you wont blow the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBL WMR View Post
Injectors? Mine has a tick as well, but it's not really all that loud.. I'm sure it's just the injectors. My LT1 had significant injector tick.
Injector's wouldn't "Tick" like that, it's definitely Valvetrain related. Something like that can't be diagnosed correctly over the internet, take it in to your local Chevy Dealer.

FLT Stage 4 4L60E · Yank ST3000 Stall · Strange 12 Bolt · 3.73's · 33 Spline Eaton Posi · BMR SFC's
BMR Adj. LCA's · BMR Adj. Torque Arm · BMR Relocation Kit · KYB AGX's · SLP Cold Induction Kit
QTP Longtubes · SLP LM · Black 18x9.5 C6 Z06 Rims · Export Taillights · 15% Tints · 6000k HID's
MAYH3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYH3M View Post
Your not supposed to. Imagine you down shifting the Transmission coming up to a stop light. Your Transmission will absorb most of the forward force, which your Brake rotors and and Pads usually do.

By throwing it in Neutral, your completely eliminating the drivetrain resistance you had when you were in gear. Now the complete weight of your car, and it's force have to be slowed down by the Brake alone.

Does this make any sense? Just try downshifting slowly when your coming up to a red light. Don't worry, you wont blow the transmission.

Injector's wouldn't "Tick" like that, it's definitely Valvetrain related. Something like that can't be diagnosed correctly over the internet, take it in to your local Chevy Dealer.
No I know all that and know what downshifting feels like thats why i said i don't understand why people do it.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Does an automatic shift into neutral when slowing down to allow the brakes to do all the work? No it doesnt, it runs through the gears the same way.

On topic, nothing to the OP than what has been said. Wish you good luck.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Thanks everyone....as of 4 pm today the service manager called me to give an update. They still don't have the exact problem but have found that it is coming from the bottom of the engine at that time they were waiting approval from GM to proceed any further, he seemed pretty confident that they would have an answer by tomorrow.....got my fingers crossed!!! Even though it is not my DD I miss it BAD!!! On the other issue with all the back and forth with the engine noise they have yet to look at the transmission.
Ordered 1/30/09 as a surprise for me by the best husband ever! Delivered 8/6/09 to me!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #21
gtrules50
Big Pappa

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYH3M View Post

I'm sorry to tell you that injectors do tick. I just bought my 1SS & the tick is from the injectors. My 2006 Yamaha FZ1 injectors do tick & can get quite loud. I am a mechanic by trade & have had people bring their autos to me, not knowing what this is. As far an the feeling in the brake pedal. It IS the ABS. I just purchased my 1SS three days ago & my drivway is pretty steep & as soon as I get to the bottem the ABS system kicks in for a moment. Nothing wrong at all as it's just a cycling check.
gtrules50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #22
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
did you notice any change in oil pressure? If your oil pressure didn't change at all it's not likely a bearing. which is good news.

mabye a cracked/loose exhaust manifold or collector? those often happen suddenly without warning and can be very loud and annoying. and if you didn't notice much perfomance difference that could be a culprit. I had some headers on a 400 sbc that no matter how you tightened/sealed them you could always hear some ticking, but usually very quiet and you'd only hear it if you knew what you were looking for.

if the shop thinks it's coming from the bottom of the motor, but your oil pressure didn't change and the oil is clean it could very well be something in your transmission and the vibration is being put to the crank so it sounds like the engine is the problem. might be related to the problem shifting into 2nd, sounds like a bad syncro in the trans anyway.

hope they figure it out for you!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
don0fthedead

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
So the noise DOES occur at a standstill?? I hear a similar ticking noise (like the card-in-spoke you described), but have yet to figure it out. Mine tends to be the most noticeable at any speed above around 23 mph. Otherwise, it's not too bad.
don0fthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
did you notice any change in oil pressure? If your oil pressure didn't change at all it's not likely a bearing. which is good news.

mabye a cracked/loose exhaust manifold or collector? those often happen suddenly without warning and can be very loud and annoying. and if you didn't notice much perfomance difference that could be a culprit. I had some headers on a 400 sbc that no matter how you tightened/sealed them you could always hear some ticking, but usually very quiet and you'd only hear it if you knew what you were looking for.

if the shop thinks it's coming from the bottom of the motor, but your oil pressure didn't change and the oil is clean it could very well be something in your transmission and the vibration is being put to the crank so it sounds like the engine is the problem. might be related to the problem shifting into 2nd, sounds like a bad syncro in the trans anyway.

hope they figure it out for you!
Nope no change in oil pressure. I wouldn't think it is related to the transmission, it makes the sound at startup and never goes away. In neutral you can give it some gas and it accelerates with the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don0fthedead View Post
So the noise DOES occur at a standstill?? I hear a similar ticking noise (like the card-in-spoke you described), but have yet to figure it out. Mine tends to be the most noticeable at any speed above around 23 mph. Otherwise, it's not too bad.
Yep as soon as you fire it up it starts making the noise....as for being more noticeable at higher speeds it isn't any louder but it faster than at a standstill. If it doesn't sound to bad to you at a standstill yours may be one of the other "normal" ticks the guys have talked about on here.

Anyhow as an update call as of this morning the exact words to me were that everything they have been told to test and check by GM research and development have checked out to be fine and that if the issue is not found today they will be pulling the motor. The Service Manager is supposed to contact me as soon as GM gives them the ok....so being that I have had a bad morning already and was in the middle of being a witness to an accident (whole other story) when they called I didn't ask the questions I should have I just took the info and hung up, I'm assuming that "pulling the motor" means replacing it??? It was mentioned to me last week by another person at the dealer that if they couldn't find something soon they would most likely replace the entire engine. This waiting game sucks! I miss my car! It has been in the shop since the 5th and about 2 weeks before that was the last time I had a chance to drive it....having withdrawls!!!!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
don0fthedead

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying to me. I hope my noise is just 'normal', even though it doesn't sound normal to me.

I feel for ya though. I hope whatever they end up doing fixes your problem.
don0fthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Now that I think about it, It could be an exhaust leak from the exhaust manifolds / headers where they meet the engine. You may have had a bolt or two loosen up because they were not installed properly, with time it would get worse if they keep loosening up. That definitely sounds like a card in the spokes like you described earlier, and it corresponds to engine speed because it would only sound when that cylinder fires. An exhaust leak further down the exhaust system would not do that because they would be joined to the other cylinders and would have a constant output. If they pull the motor they may try to identify the problem and fix it if they cannot then they will probably give you a new motor.

Ok i looked up some stuff, theres one a mechanic is just talking but it may be worth while sitting through the whole video I included several different video to see if it sounds similar , different cars and leaks in different locations sound different but the same you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by fireresq157; 03-17-2010 at 10:26 AM.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #27
Dmactampa
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black on Black
I have the same problem, I think. I have a 2LT/RS that only has 700 miles on it. I started noticing a ticking sound coming from the center console area around 400 miles. It has gotten progressively worse and I have no idea what it is. I have read posts like this one that never say what it is and others that say it is possibly a problem with the ebrake hitting the driveshaft. I really don't think it is the "rice crispy" or gurgling sound people have described. If you ever found out what it was please post it. My car is an A6.

Last edited by Dmactampa; 04-18-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Just noticed that we both have FL cars!!
Dmactampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
So what happened?????? Yet another thread where there is this huge problem with the car and they never come back to tell us what happened. Come on people!!!!!!!!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote