Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 01-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xp0gam3r View Post
I have a question to those whole live in canada! I have a camaro 2LT/RS with the 20" pirelli summer tires, and it seems like the roads have been clear over past 4 - 5 weeks here in eastern ontario. If it snows, it will snow for max of a day leaving approx 1 - 3 cm, and dries off within next 3 days. So my question is, would it be safe to take it out on the days where roads are clear from snow/black ice even with summer tires being on? That is I take it out ONLY on dry road days which seems to be like 4-5 days out of the week!

Thanks
you can take summer tires out in those conditions, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
homer2004

Drives: Black Camaro 2010
Quote:
I have a question to those whole live in canada! I have a camaro 2LT/RS with the 20" pirelli summer tires, and it seems like the roads have been clear over past 4 - 5 weeks here in eastern ontario. If it snows, it will snow for max of a day leaving approx 1 - 3 cm, and dries off within next 3 days. So my question is, would it be safe to take it out on the days where roads are clear from snow/black ice even with summer tires being on? That is I take it out ONLY on dry road days which seems to be like 4-5 days out of the week!

Thanks
NEVER EVER DIRVE with SUMMMER tires in WINTER. the reason is becuase of something callled black ice.
once you slip , you are done. i am sure you have read the stories in the forum about other members that lost their cars.

you are ok with all season. summer tire would have been ok if it was all wheel drive or even front wheel but rear wheel i dono about that
homer2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
Xp0gam3r

Drives: '15 2SS 1LE; '10 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer2004 View Post
NEVER EVER DIRVE with SUMMMER tires in WINTER. the reason is becuase of something callled black ice.
once you slip , you are done. i am sure you have read the stories in the forum about other members that lost their cars.

you are ok with all season. summer tire would have been ok if it was all wheel drive or even front wheel but rear wheel i dono about that
Yeah I saw the other stores which were definately scary!
Xp0gam3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Mine is a daily driver so I had not choice about driving it in winter. I looked at it this way before getting the snow tires.

Do I want to cheap out and save $1500 on winter tires and possibly destroy my $40000 brand new car I have been waiting for 4 months for? I went with the tires. It's a personal choice and up to you to decide if the risk is worth it.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
Just don't do it. It only takes one bad spot of black ice and your done. It's all about traction and summer tires harden up in cold temperatures and lose much of thier grip. I have been driving my 2LT manual all winter and it's just fine with the Toyo Observe thin tires. I bought the slimmest recommended by GM at 225/65 R18" I beleive it was... My summer 245/50 ZR19's have never been driven yet as I took delivery of my car in December 09. The 2010 Camaro with all of it's technology does indeed handle very well in Winter. So much so, that I have not yet had to take our Honda Fit out in bad weather for fear of problems.

It still puts that perma grin on your face....every time you drive it! Winter or not!

eB

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
Xp0gam3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLapCar View Post
Mine is a daily driver so I had not choice about driving it in winter. I looked at it this way before getting the snow tires.

Do I want to cheap out and save $1500 on winter tires and possibly destroy my $40000 brand new car I have been waiting for 4 months for? I went with the tires. It's a personal choice and up to you to decide if the risk is worth it.
Its not cost....It was usability for me. I have an 09 Buick Enclave, its just I miss the camaro, and after reading on some places, someone who had a camaro in the 80s, took it out in winters and within 7 or 8 years it became a rust bucket. So point is I just miss it and was wondering if I was able to take it out on the "good days" only.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #21
Xp0gam3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver View Post
Just don't do it. It only takes one bad spot of black ice and your done. It's all about traction and summer tires harden up in cold temperatures and lose much of thier grip. I have been driving my 2LT manual all winter and it's just fine with the Toyo Observe thin tires. I bought the slimmest recommended by GM at 225/65 R18" I beleive it was... My summer 245/50 ZR19's have never been driven yet as I took delivery of my car in December 09. The 2010 Camaro with all of it's technology does indeed handle very well in Winter. So much so, that I have not yet had to take our Honda Fit out in bad weather for fear of problems.

It still puts that perma grin on your face....every time you drive it! Winter or not!

eB
I totally agree! I guess I'll wait till spring

But it may become my daily driving car starting from next year so I'll have to put on some winter tires!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #22
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
Do yourself a favor, get some rims, and toss on some winter tires or at the least all seasons (which we used to run for decades until someone decided we all must have only WINTER tires) You hit black ice, you hit black ice doesnt matter whats on the rim, your in for a ride! Chances just increase with better suited tires. I think in many case, it's more drivers inexperience of driving a rear wheel drive car, and one with power.

It's just like any tire, they all have various uses, some are speed rated, some are severe ice and some are quiet as could be, some are slicks for drag strips, some are wide and thin for looks, even nascar uses various compounds for various tracks at various altitudes. Just get some better performing tires on for your peace of mind and so you dont hurt yourself or slide into a mini van and injure some kids.
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
I used to kinda scoff at winter tires too, and it's true you can drive in the winter with a summer tire just fine if your careful.

This year I put studded nordics on my truck and that thing will climb friggin snowbanks if you want to. I love it, everyone else is spinning at stop signs and I can launch from the line. 'course, it's an s10 w/ a 400 sbc and about 350hp/400tq so it would be similar to driving the camaro I would imagine in the winter, but much lighter.

because I have this though I'll probably never drive the camaro in the winter. I'm lucky and will have 2 very fun vehicles haha
Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
Xp0gam3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
I used to kinda scoff at winter tires too, and it's true you can drive in the winter with a summer tire just fine if your careful.

This year I put studded nordics on my truck and that thing will climb friggin snowbanks if you want to. I love it, everyone else is spinning at stop signs and I can launch from the line. 'course, it's an s10 w/ a 400 sbc and about 350hp/400tq so it would be similar to driving the camaro I would imagine in the winter, but much lighter.

because I have this though I'll probably never drive the camaro in the winter. I'm lucky and will have 2 very fun vehicles haha
oh damn! awesome. i think studded tires are illegal here since they can screw up the roads :S
Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
oh damn! awesome. i think studded tires are illegal here since they can screw up the roads :S
Yeah, they're mostly allowed only where the roads are commonly hard packed snow in the winter instead of clear pavement.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #26
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yeah, they're mostly allowed only where the roads are commonly hard packed snow in the winter instead of clear pavement.
Studded tires are not legal anywhere in Ontario - maybe nowhere in Canada. Not sure. Same with chains (for Ontario). Of course I don't think you'll be tryin' to put chains on your 'Maro..... ok someone has probably tried this already

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #27
Xp0gam3r

I saw a guy drive in their camaro which had the 20" pirelli's, I believe it was an SS/RS, since its approx between 0C and -8C everyday with completely dry roads (bearly if ANY black ice) since it hasnt snowed for ages right now here. Do the tires really freeze up under 0C? or is it just percussion that they say that and to tell us to buy winter/all season from them especially on the conditions I just state :( DAMN YOU WINTER!!!!