Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Exel Spreadsheet Experts

Do we have any exel spread sheet experts? I'm working with Google Doc's spread sheet to redo and bring the 60' fast list up to date. While I was data entering on the drag radial sheet out of the blue it would not accept zero's at the end of the 60' time and gear ratio. I had to use O's. Can anybody out there help?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Highlight all the blocks that you want to change the formatting on. Then, on the "Home" tab at the top, change the number format from "General" to "Text" using the pull-down menu. Also, right below that number format pull-down menu is an option to increase the decimal place of your numbers. Just make sure that all the cells you want to change the formatting on are highlighted when selecting these options.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Merc
In The Circle

Thanks I'll go have a look.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Inside Excel, right-click on any of the cells. Click on Format Cells... On the number tab, highlight "Number" and tell how many decimals you want. Click Ok to apply that to your cell. Grab the right/lower corner of the cell. Drag that down to copy the format onto your other cells. DONE! I think your number tab was set to General or Text.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Merc
In The Circle

Thanks Guy's I tried blazzin's method and it's all fixed.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Glad I could help!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
People think it's only car stuff shared on here. We have all areas covered. The Forum proves to be great again in more areas than just cars!!!
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmx183 View Post
People think it's only car stuff shared on here. We have all areas covered. The Forum proves to be great again in more areas than just cars!!!
Very COOOOOOOL! I have another question to ask tomorrow
about spread sheets. I'm sure it will get answered.

Last edited by Merc; 11-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I can help too if needed...I live in excel.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
I can help too if needed...I live in excel.
Nice! Here is my Question:

When I have to move a member up the fast list I adjust his time in the current spot that he holds, then I insert a row in the correct place on the list. Then go back to he corrected row and copy and paste that row into blank row that I inserted. Then back to the original row and delete it and then copy and paste all the info below and move it up a row.

Is there a way that once I delete that row that exel would automatically move it up on it's own?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Yes. Highlight the column that is getting sorted by lowest to highest (If it is column "A", just click on the A at top and it will select everything in that row). Go up to the top right and there is a "Sort & Filter" tool. Click on that. Choose Smallest to Largest. It will bring up a window that says "Sort Warning". Pick the option for "Expand the Selection". This will drag the adjacent cells along with the 60' cell.
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancherj View Post
Yes. Highlight the column that is getting sorted by lowest to highest (If it is column "A", just click on the A at top and it will select everything in that row). Go up to the top right and there is a "Sort & Filter" tool. Click on that. Choose Smallest to Largest. It will bring up a window that says "Sort Warning". Pick the option for "Expand the Selection". This will drag the adjacent cells along with the 60' cell.
Sounds scary. I know just enough to be dangerous with Exel.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
For your lists I would shorten "Converter" to "TC."

Great work btw, lists take more work than folks realize.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancherj View Post
This, it will also prevent you from having to insert new rows and delete old ones... When you get a new fast list member just go to the bottom row... 30 I think, and type in the new member and data right over the old slowest listed time row, then sort them... It'll automatically place them in order...

If you get an upgraded time from someone already in the list, find their row, type in the new info, then sort... It'll again automatically place all of them in order...

Here's a trick for those with enough knowledge to be hazardous... Open the spread sheet, make the changes... Do not save it yet... Look to make sure everything is as you want it... Then save it...

If you screw up along the way and can't fix it, or are not sure what happened, then just close it and reopen it and it'll be back to original... Now if the settings on the puter are set to auto save periodically, this may create an issue...

Another way to do this is excel, file, open save as... Save the doc as a new sheet, makes the changes then when all is good, save it as the original doc with the same title.., it'll ask if you want to replace it... Click yes and carry on...

One more... In this type of sheet where you have a constant number of rows... Top 30 or whatever, new info can be typed over the top of old...

There is never a reason to delete info in a cell or in a row... If you just want to clear the info from a cell or a row, highlight it, right click, and clear contents...

Not terribly important in a sheet with no links, but a good habit never the less...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote