Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
NFERGY 2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT
im in Virginia and drive mine all year.well i do have a Jeep if calling for snow
Old 10-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Sorry to hear about the job situation - hopefully you find something even better than before. I drove through the winter last year on my Pirelli's without incident (I live in Cary). But I promised myself I wouldn't do it again and purchased General AS-03's for this winter. It's not so much the ice and snow days that worry me, it's anytime the temperature drops below about 40F, the Pirelli's driving characteristics change for the worse. You really have to watch it. Drive like you're driving on ice (no sudden movements) and you'll be fine.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood2010 View Post
If you are on the pzeros you are going to have a really really hard time. search the threats on winter tires here and you will find countless stories of no traction with just a little snow on the p zeros. I wish you luck but while you still have it should try and get a set of scorpions ice and snow then you'd be just fine.

Can't stress this enough. Don't listen to anyone saying you will be ok with pzero's in the winter. IT IS NOT WORTH WRECKING YOUR CAR.
I literally could not get out of my driveway with pzero's with a very light layer of snow that is equal to dust.
I understand being unemployed and not wanting to drop close to a grand on tires, but it's a lot better than the alternative. No car at all. And if you do crash, you will have to pay 500-1000 insurance deductible plus get new tires, and sit at home while your car is getting fixed when you could be looking for a job.

Some say just drive careful and you will be ok. When has that ever been the case.
Sometimes you need to stop, and stop right now without warning. Try to make a sudden stop or sudden turn on pzero's in the winter and I bet everything I own you will crash.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
NC is much warmer than up north during the winter, so the negative impact of keeping the P Zero is much less (but there still are negatives as has been discussed here and in tire section of forums).
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
You'll be fine in Charlotte. Rarely ice and never snow.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingcamaro View Post
I live in Charlotte, North Carolina, I just found out that I will be getting laid off from my job and will not have the money to put winter tires on my Camaro. Has anyone in the Camaro family driven with the summer tires in Charlotte NC. It will be my DD and I am going to have to start looking for jobs and can not risk being stuck at home. I know that it does not snow very often in NC but I am getting really worried that this year is going to be a bad year and I am going to be stuck at home not being able to get out of the drive way.
What type of work do you do or are you looking for, possibly someone on the board has seen something or talked to someone who is looking for your skill set. We have all been there and I know that it may not always get me employment, sharing the experience can relieve the stress at times and it is something we are all pretty worried about in this economic period.
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
My 19" PZero All-Season tires do just fine on snow as long as I have a little weight in the trunk. It is probably good to distinguish between PZero All-Seasons and the PZeros that come on the Rally Sports. The ones that are wider on the rear wheels and can't be rotated. These PZeros are designed primarily for the best possible handling on dry roads not traction in wet or snowy conditions. In my opinion, I think the 19" All-Seasons are the most suitable for people who drive in a wide variety of weather conditions. My 19" tires are rated for 155mph also.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
I live in Charlotte, North Carolina, I just found out that I will be getting laid off from my job and will not have the money to put winter tires on my Camaro. Has anyone in the Camaro family driven with the summer tires in Charlotte NC. It will be my DD and I am going to have to start looking for jobs and can not risk being stuck at home. I know that it does not snow very often in NC but I am getting really worried that this year is going to be a bad year and I am going to be stuck at home not being able to get out of the drive way.
Luckily we don't get a whole lot of days with snow here... rain, and possible ice is a concern, but you may be able to get by with some common sense.

Shoot me a PM if you are in the IT / MIS field at all... I may be able to help out with the job hunt depending on experience and what you are looking for. My team has a couple openings at one of the Banks in town.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Can't stress this enough. Don't listen to anyone saying you will be ok with pzero's in the winter. IT IS NOT WORTH WRECKING YOUR CAR.
I literally could not get out of my driveway with pzero's with a very light layer of snow that is equal to dust.
I understand being unemployed and not wanting to drop close to a grand on tires, but it's a lot better than the alternative. No car at all. And if you do crash, you will have to pay 500-1000 insurance deductible plus get new tires, and sit at home while your car is getting fixed when you could be looking for a job.

Some say just drive careful and you will be ok. When has that ever been the case.
Sometimes you need to stop, and stop right now without warning. Try to make a sudden stop or sudden turn on pzero's in the winter and I bet everything I own you will crash.
:w ord:
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #24
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Thank you all so much for the kind words, as to my experience I am really looking for a entry level job in retail or whatever I can get my hands on. I am young and have worked only held small jobs like restaurants and retail my main goal is to go into IT maybe computer programming since I know it is in high demand. I am about to go to school for it starting in December and if anyone knows of anything around Charlotte please let me know. I am trying to trade my OEM 20's for something that has a cheaper tire on it as I thinking of the future. Thank you for everyone's input if I have to drive with the summer tires I will but very carefully!!!
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #25
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Thank you all so much for the kind words, as to my experience I am really looking for a entry level job in retail or whatever I can get my hands on. I am young and have worked only held small jobs like restaurants and retail my main goal is to go into IT maybe computer programming since I know it is in high demand. I am about to go to school for it starting in December and if anyone knows of anything around Charlotte please let me know. I am trying to trade my OEM 20's for something that has a cheaper tire on it as I thinking of the future. Thank you for everyone's input if I have to drive with the summer tires I will but very carefully!!!
if your on a tight budget, instead of selling the 20s because youll end up regeretting doing it later, you could always buy a set of wheels from a member here and buy some used winter tires or use the stock all seasons on the 18" or 19" wheels

It should be good enough if you dont drive in serious snow conditions
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
Quote:
the only company I know personally in the charlotte area is BOFA, you could possibly do intern work or part time while you attend college. You should drop BLITZ a pm and let him know of your intentions, trust me none of us started on top, and it's always the small steps for us all that can turn our lives around.
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
nycoupe11

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs Summit White
dont chance it..we had snow in ny yesterda and my tires only have 7k and i could barely even drive... Plus i also consider myself a great driver and def plan on getting winter tires ASAP now
nycoupe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #28
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post

You live in Chicago. He lives is NC. Theres a biiiiig difference in winter weather between the two. What you consider "a small layer" is probably a lot to NCers. As long as he goes slow, is very cautious, and only drives when he really needs to, he should be fine. Like I said, my brother did it through an Ohio winter and he's a horrible driver.