Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Our first two oil changes were done at the dealer before we go our 2SS. The owner of the dealership was letting his 50yr old daughter drive the car as a demo before we bought it. On our first free oil change I went to 0% on the OLM which was 13,504 miles and that was two oil changes ago. The oil change I did last weekend, the OLM once again went to 0% with 11,920 miles. I have the oil analysis from the 13,504 mile oil change posted here on C5 and I have my oil sample ready to be sent in for the 11,920 mile oil change that I just did. Oil analysis reports don't lie. My oil analysis came back with flying colors over the 13,504 mile duration. The OLM works no matter what the naysayers think and what their feel good meter tells them.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #30
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Our first two oil changes were done at the dealer before we go our 2SS. The owner of the dealership was letting his 50yr old daughter drive the car as a demo before we bought it. On our first free oil change I went to 0% on the OLM which was 13,504 miles and that was two oil changes ago. The oil change I did last weekend, the OLM once again went to 0% with 11,920 miles. I have the oil analysis from the 13,504 mile oil change posted here on C5 and I have my oil sample ready to be sent in for the 11,920 mile oil change that I just did. Oil analysis reports don't lie. My oil analysis came back with flying colors over the 13,504 mile duration. The OLM works no matter what the naysayers think and what their feel good meter tells them.
It should be noted the OLM on the V6 is a different animal and cannot be trusted if you have a early 2011 and back or have not had it flashed. After the ECM flash my car calulates to 0% right at 5K no matter how I drive.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #31
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
It should be noted the OLM on the V6 is a different animal and cannot be trusted if you have a early 2011 and back or have not had it flashed. After the ECM flash my car calulates to 0% right at 5K no matter how I drive.
Good point on the V6.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Good point on the V6.
I totally believe the OLM on the LLT engines (after the flash) is set to zero out at 5k, give or take a few miles. Specifically because of the timing chain issues with these engines and the fact is does not require full synthetic.

Sent from my 2LT/RS using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
I need advice. I have gone 8 months since my last Mobil 1 oil change. Only 2000 miles, since oil change, and the oil life moniter shows 40 % left. My question is, I am about ready to leave on a 2500 mile road trip that will last one week. Would you change your oil before leaving or wait until after the trip when the moniter is down to maybe 10%??
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #34
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverc View Post
I need advice. I have gone 8 months since my last Mobil 1 oil change. Only 2000 miles, since oil change, and the oil life moniter shows 40 % left. My question is, I am about ready to leave on a 2500 mile road trip that will last one week. Would you change your oil before leaving or wait until after the trip when the moniter is down to maybe 10%??
Are you running synthetic or conventional?

Hwy driving is less impact on the engine but if:

using conventional, I'd change before the trip
using synthetic, I'd change on the return
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #35
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
Thanks. I do run Mobil 1 Synthetic. I agree that road miles will have less impact on my OLM reading than my normal short city trips. I will take an extra qt. of Mobil 1 in case I burn a little oil on the trip and change it when I return. I should still have under 5000 miles since last oil change. Hopefully the OLM won't be at 0. It will be a lot lower than it is when I nornally change my oil. If anybody has any thoughts on this I would like to hear from you. I really like my Camaro, my 3rd, and don't want to do something dumb.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #36
Arta
ZL585 AA

Drives: 2012 ZL585 SS1 SS2
mobil 1 1st change

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoStateDogs View Post
Had my first oil change yesterday. Owners Manual told me the car would tell me when I needed an oil change. The guy at Jiffy Lube looked at me like I had just beat my wife when I told him I was having my first oil change at 10,700 miles. Should I change it more often? The camaro first told me to "change oil soon" at 10,600 miles.
7500...what a pain in the ass lifting it up !
Arta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #37
jimmy55

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hi guys - just had a routine service done at 37k mi on my SS

the charge was significantly lower (less than half) than usual. i then noticed why...they used "dexos1 synthetic". i am interested in keeping my engine in pristine condition esp with the miles now climbing well into "used" territory in addition to the fact that my driving style and speed are quite taxing on the vehicle and the average temp now is around 42C.

any opinions on whether i should re-service with a more superior engine oil?
jimmy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #38
Vintage-Iron
Banned

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS/RS
Im changing mine at 1000 miles and then every 3000 thereafter but I am not letting a dealer touch my car. Ive never used Mobil 1 but everyone seems to like it so thats what I am going with. My previous cars have been Ford Mustangs and I always used the Ford Synthetic Blend.
Vintage-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #39
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'BlueCoupe View Post
I am going to do it myself, I refuse to pay $70~$110 for someone else to do it.
Amen to that! There would have to be some sort of super special tools required to justify a charge like that (of course, that may be synthetic oil price). But still... I'll be looking under the car and under the hood to see if I can handle it myself. Always have in years past and other vehicles I've owned.
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #40
STuRTzz

Drives: '12 Summit White 2ls W/Black Stripe
Dealer told me the first oil change is free. He wrote 4-5k but he told me that they don't care when I go. He said it can be at 8k miles and it won't matter to them. My neighbor told me to get an oil change at 500 miles but I am already at 750 miles. BTW the car was only on the lot for 4 day. I checked their inventory every day because I wanted one with black stripes and I saw it two days later. Another two days it was mine
STuRTzz is offline   Reply With Quote