Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #29
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
The mechanic was great, he came out and explained everything he did. He pointed out the sealant on the bolts. He said GM is now calling for this as the little circles (or something like that) in each bolt is not holding up good enough, so this reinforces it.

Hopes this makes sense as that's how I understood it.

I was also very happy to see almost no oil spillage in the engine, he cleaned up great.

Sent from my 2LT/RS using Tapatalk
Now this I like to hear!!!! Good tech with a good service dept!!!!! Getting rare now days.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Hard to tell where it's coming from but my guess it the timing chain cover as it's seems to be coming from behind the serpentine belt.

I'm sure either way this will not be an afternoon fix. This so sucks!!

I certainly apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you may be experiencing with this issue. Please let us know how service goes once diagnosed by your dealership.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #31
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I certainly apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you may be experiencing with this issue. Please let us know how service goes once diagnosed by your dealership.

Brandon
Thanks for checking in. Overall I was very happy with the process of the repair from start to finish. Both the Service Tech and the mechanic were very informative and the repair was done in a timely manner.

I guess we'll see in the long run how the repair holds up, although my guess is it will be fine.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Brandon.....we know there is only so much you can do to influence the "ivory tower" powers that be, but these are the stories that help the GM image.....and there rare. The average service department as you see daily by reading these forums has turned into a joke and ethics have gone out the wondow. Hopefully what you see does reach those that have the pwoer to change this as I have watch them degrade steadily over the past 20 years or so, and since the re-org many have turned into a place I would never step foot in. This hurts all that love the GM name and the products offered. Anytime you wish, PM me for discussions on what I see. I realize from my friends in GM (most engineers) that you may not be allowed to open a dialog with someone like myself, but I can give great feedback and share knowledge.

Either way, having you and your team on the forums is a huge step in the right direction and you are appreaciated.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #33
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Brandon.....we know there is only so much you can do to influence the "ivory tower" powers that be, but these are the stories that help the GM image.....and there rare. The average service department as you see daily by reading these forums has turned into a joke and ethics have gone out the wondow. Hopefully what you see does reach those that have the pwoer to change this as I have watch them degrade steadily over the past 20 years or so, and since the re-org many have turned into a place I would never step foot in. This hurts all that love the GM name and the products offered. Anytime you wish, PM me for discussions on what I see. I realize from my friends in GM (most engineers) that you may not be allowed to open a dialog with someone like myself, but I can give great feedback and share knowledge.

Either way, having you and your team on the forums is a huge step in the right direction and you are appreaciated.
Thank you for the encouragement and we do appreciate the feedback! I will definitely document this into our database where many departments of GM can access the information. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience!

Brandon
Old 07-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #34
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
I just took my car in for the oil leak we are talking about. The dealer says it is the timing chain cover that needs to be resealed. It sounds like maybe the plant there in Mexico making my engine and probably the others with this problem, was having some issues with properly putting this part of the engine togather. This is my 10th GM vehicle and never have had an engine problem of this magnitude.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #35
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverc View Post
I just took my car in for the oil leak we are talking about. The dealer says it is the timing chain cover that needs to be resealed. It sounds like maybe the plant there in Mexico making my engine and probably the others with this problem, was having some issues with properly putting this part of the engine togather. This is my 10th GM vehicle and never have had an engine problem of this magnitude.
Please let us know how your service appointment goes after they repair your vehicle. We are here if you have any additional questions or comments.

Brandon
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
Yesterday I picked up my car at the dealer. They replaced the front engine cover which I assume is the same as the timing chain cover. Hopefully this will be the solution to my small oil leak. The bill shows that they replaced 7 different seals that were associated with this long one day plus job. Everything looks fine. They even gave me an oil and filter change at no cost even though I was only at 57% , 3000 miles. (Mostly a long trip) This is the first I ever have a major engine issue on any of my 10 GM vehicles. Overall Ron Tonkin Chevy here in Portland did a nice job. Assuming the leak is stopped.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverc View Post
Yesterday I picked up my car at the dealer. They replaced the front engine cover which I assume is the same as the timing chain cover. Hopefully this will be the solution to my small oil leak. The bill shows that they replaced 7 different seals that were associated with this long one day plus job. Everything looks fine. They even gave me an oil and filter change at no cost even though I was only at 57% , 3000 miles. (Mostly a long trip) This is the first I ever have a major engine issue on any of my 10 GM vehicles. Overall Ron Tonkin Chevy here in Portland did a nice job. Assuming the leak is stopped.
It is superb that your dealership was able to diagnose the issue you were experiencing. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to PM me at your convenience.

Brandon
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #38
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quick update:

So believe it or not the leak came back, apparently the timing chain cover developed a hair line crack. My guess is it cracked when the mechanic was tightening it down, although he is saying there is no way he tightened it too much. Funny thing is the crack was right under a bolt.

Anyway the car was redone on Monday, hopefully this wont happened again.

I know sh$t happens but I am a bit unhappy about this. The least they could have done was a free freaking oil change for my inconvenience.

Last edited by nyrfan; 08-01-2012 at 10:22 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #39
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Quick update:

So believe it or not the leak came back, apparently the timing chain cover developed a hair line crack. My guess it is crack when the mechanic was tightening it down, although he is saying there is no way he tightened it too much. Funny thing is the crack was right under a bolt.

Anyway the car was redone on Monday, hopefully this wont happened again.

I know sh$t happens but I am a bit unhappy about this. The least then could have done was a free freaking oil change for my inconvenience.
I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced! If you could please send me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership, I would be more than happy to see if there are any options available to you!

Brandon
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #40
branscop

Drives: None
looks like i'm in the same boat...will be dropping mine off again on friday...they're pretty sure it's the timing cover..never had any service done by this dealer..hopefully it goes well..
branscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #41
branscop

Drives: None
seems to be fine...other than the body being pretty dirty when I got it back...engine was clean
branscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #42
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

I am beyond upset today. Turns out my engine is leaking again, this will be the 3rd time in less then 3 months. They put dye in it yesterday and I have to bring it in again tomorrow so they can see what is going on.

This is costing me time, money (time off from work, gas, etc), unneeded stress and overall frustration that this will be the 3rd attempted to fix what is a pretty major issue. What are my options about filing a lemon law request? I have to wait until after the 3rd failed attempt, correct?

Last edited by nyrfan; 09-25-2012 at 05:12 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevrolet customer svc