Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
mwillems

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Final question on regular/premium

OK, so I have read all the posts and replies, including those in reply to my questions. But may I please clarify one last item?

From what I understand:

1- This engine is tuned to run on regular gas. No need to feed it anything more.

2- But if you DO feed it premium, it will (eventually) switch to its second ignition algorithm, where its timing is later. This leads, of course, to slightly more power and slightly better economy.

Is that correct? And IF it is, then why would anyone who wants that bit of extra power and economy not feed it premium? I know, it's more expensive, but some of that is compensated by more economy and by better fuel (no ethanol, unlike regular, which here can contain up to 10%).

Sorry to be asking the same question again, but I really have not totally understood, apparently.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The V6 manual states it can run on 87octane gas, it also states that conventional oil may be used as well.

BUT...............

Why on earth would you buy a sports car then put the bare minimum fuel and oil in them? if there are better alternatives wouldn't you spend the extra $$ to make sure you get the best care? I mean that's like building a new house then putting the bare minimum low quality windows in it. They may last you for the first 5 years, but eventually they will bite you in the ass.

Ever since my car got a new crate motor I've been running Mobil1 Full Synthetic Oil changed every 3000miles no excuses, and it also gets Mobil 91Ethanol Free Gas from the same gas station everytime. People may call me anal and paranoid but at least if something were to happen I can't blame my maintenance or chalk it up to being cheap.

Spend the extra 50 cents per gallon and don't look back. In reality you're saving $200 a year by putting shitty 87 octane in your $25k car
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
And don't listen to the V8 guys because they normally come on these posts and tell people that their "Eco V6 camaros" only need 87 so don't waste the money.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
mwillems

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Good, so far that reflects my thinking. I use Shell 91 premium (highest we get in Ontario). And it's about $0.80 more per gallon, but who's counting! :-)
Old 07-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
I bought my car in April of '13', the first warm day in May I turned on the AC, thought the car was going to stall at the light when I tried to take off. Put in some 93 octane and haven't looked back at 87 since. Run two tanks of premium through it and you'll never put 87 in it again. Don't even worry about price per gallon, budget 30-40 bucks a week and go out and enjoy better throttle response and more power!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
BadgerRN

Drives: 2013 V6 Camaro RS
So how many tanks of 93 do you need to run before you start seeing a difference?
BadgerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRN View Post
So how many tanks of 93 do you need to run before you start seeing a difference?
It doesn't take long at all,you'll notice some improvements after just a couple days if not sooner, but for the ecu to learn that you've changed over and totally implement the higher octane timing table, you'll need to have all the lower grade gas out of the system. You can help this by running as much of the lower grade gas out of the tank as possible. Then fill it up. As there will still be some gas left in the tank, you will be running a slight blend of lower octane/higher octane fuel. Then run it down as low as you can and refill with premium again. That's why I said two tanks, to get all the lower octane gas out of the system. Half way through that second tank or sooner ,the ecu should have changed the timing table totally over to the high octane table. Even during the first tank I could tell better throttle response and more pull during WOT. You'll never go back to 'cheaper' gas. I just think of it as 30 bucks a week, not how much per gallon. Rock on, brother!!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
It's tough to say. These cars do have a decent amount of knock even on 93 octane, and if you are constantly knocking it will throw the car back to the low octane table.

I'm definitely a supporter of running premium, but you also might want to look into getting a tune from Will as well.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Oh yeah, Will can get it going for sure