Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
prostreetbuyer
Account Suspended

Drives: Dragster, 2007 Bentley, 2010 Camaro
Post Anyone Break A Camaro Yet? Did Horsepower Mods Cause Breakage? Whats The Weak Link?

I Have Lost My Mind And Put A Deposit Down To Have My Transformer Ls3 M6 Upgraded With A Vortech V-7 Supercharger, Cam, Headers, Full Exhaust, Meth Injection And Dual Cts Fuel Pumps. The Great Shop That I'm Using (Jannetty Racing) Says I'll Have More Than 650 Horse At The Rear Wheels.
I'm No Stranger To Drag Racing Carnage And I Don't Fear The Impending Breakage Because My Sponsor (My Wallet ) Is Very Generous For These Type Of Projects, But Out Of Curiosity I'd Like To Know What May Break.

Perhaps One Of You Fellow Horsepower Addicts Have Already Experienced The Smoke And Metal Shavings That May Be In My Future.

But Loving Every Minute Of It.
prostreetbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
prostreetbuyer
Account Suspended

Drives: Dragster, 2007 Bentley, 2010 Camaro
Thumbs down

why is nobody talking to me? waaah:upset:
prostreetbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
ninety6
2xSOM

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS | 2002 Camaro V6 vrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetbuyer View Post
why is nobody talking to me? waaah:upset:

i think a couple guys have broken the driveshaft. so if you have 650hp, might as well go ahead and have a spare one ready
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninety6 View Post

i think a couple guys have broken the driveshaft. so if you have 650hp, might as well go ahead and have a spare one ready
I think you mean the rear halfshafts, I know you can get some beefy aftermarket ones to handle that problem. I think that is the main weak link. You might want to also look into some aftermarket lower control arms to minimize wheel hop as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i have read on the forum where a few axles have bit the dust.as you know i'm sure,if your going to put some serious HP in these cars, the drive train is going to have to be modified.transmission,driveshaft,axels,and rearend.haven't heard of anyone blowing an engine yet.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Levi_Engle

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
I was going so fast that my spoiler nut came loose and the nut and screw were loose in the trunk door, now it rattles...so I put a new nut and screw in...came loose again. WTF
Magnaflow Competition Series Axle-Back, Vararam Air Intake, Black bow ties, tinted tailights and side lights and reverse lights, Blacked out head lights, brushed super sport fuel door, blacked out SS logos front and rear. Boss 339 Black Rims with Red Bezel. Next: American Racing Headers, Vengeance Stage III Cam. Red halos
Last: Vortech V-7ysi Supercharger, Body kit
Levi_Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '05 Impala, '10 IOM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to camaroluver
Mine has a new engine due to a wrist pin shifting and causing the piston to hit the cylinder wall, however it wasn't anything we did and was thankfully covered by GM....wasn't really bad enough to replace the engine but I was told GM wanted to make it right since there was less than 10,000 miles on the car. I could only imagine if it had more power and had shifted while using that power it would have caused some major damage.
2010 Camaro 2SS IOM/Black Interior/Black Hood & Hockey Stripes #26,805
Ordered 1/30/09 as a surprise for me by the best husband ever! Delivered 8/6/09 to me!!!

camaroluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
Uhhhhhm there is another post like this one. What is Broken on your Camaro that was started 8:27 AM. 1 Minute before this one.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
With excessive drag racing at that power level, eventually you will break every part in the drivetrain, if your goal is to run as fast as it should down the 1320.

In stock drivetrain form, it will never hook up. Once you get traction, then the parts really start failing.

I'd start with some better half shafts from the get go.

Someone mentioned lower control arms, well it will probably need different springs if its gonna be a dedicated strip car running max traction, and not lowering springs either.

And a lower rear end gear.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Diabel1969

Drives: 2010 2SS, A6
if your no stranger to drag racing, then you know the drill. You increase HP, what's next in line? clutch.. replaced clutch with beefier version, what's next in line? Tranny.. beef up tranny, and then what've ya got? by the time you work through the whole drivetrain, it'll be time for another HP upgrade, and round and round we go!!
Diabel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi_Engle View Post
I was going so fast that my spoiler nut came loose and the nut and screw were loose in the trunk door, now it rattles...so I put a new nut and screw in...came loose again. WTF
Not sure if you are serious or joking around about the speed vs the spoiler thing but there was a known problem at the plant where they weren't torquing the spoiler bolts down enough. If I were you I'd retighten the remaining bolts so they don't also fall off .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote