Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
nickruta

Drives: 2010 black camaro
Clear Bra Conversation.

Hey guys while Ive been waiting for my camaro Ive had plenty of time to research ways to protect my car. I will have a black 2lt rs. I bought the Whole ZAINO line which Ive tested on my other older car and had fantastic results. But I want to take the protection to another level, and lately for the first time Ive been hearing about clear bras. To be honest I have no idea how good these things are ,as of now Ive heard that VentureShield brand is the best. I also dont understand if you have a clear bra on do you put it over the wax and polish, or do you put products on the clear bra after its installed. And also does having a Clear bra degrade the look of the paint visually, like would my black paint look dimmer, or are good clearbras invisible.
nickruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Yellojacket

Drives: 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
This is the response from the guy who did my clearbra on my mazdaspeed back in 2005. I will have him do my camaro when it comes in.

We did use 3M film on your Mazda and yes there are some installers pushing the VentureShield film. I've done couple cars with that film but to be honest, I'm wondering if I should continue to sell it. This is really about what happens to the film long term and not when you see it after installation.

Before your make your final choice, please consider my professional opinion and findings:
• Venturehsiled is being heavily promoted (imho) because it costs less, it's easier to install and it has slightly less orange peel (the orange peel is probably the only item that you are seeing on online forums as the biggest advantage, there's really minor difference side by side).
• the problem is that VentureShield film will scratch much easier than 3M, it does not have a clear coat. (during installation I must be extra careful not to scratch it with my professional-grade squeegee)
• Once your VentureShield film scratches, there is not much you can do to fix it. Some installers are trying to use heat guns with little results. To me that's dangerous and a waste of time.
• Once you get a bug splat on VentureShield you must clean it off ASAP, if you don't, the guts will permanently leave a mark on the surface. (just had a guy with a Corvette, he drove to Florida, once he got to his destination, tried to clean the bugs, ended up with bunch of spots on the surface.
• Another recent example. I did an Audi S8 about two years ago, that same customer had his CL600 done in Florida where he picked it up just months before. About two weeks ago he had me replace his VentureShield on his CL600 because it looked dull. The A8 still looked great.

• 3M film has a layer of clear coat and is much more durable. There is a reason why the automotive paint has a layer of clear coat, to protect the film from absorbing everything from bugs, dirt, etc. It also protects the film from scratches.
• You can use 70% rubbing alcohol to get rid of fine scratches on 3M, you can also use adhesive and wax remover on 3M, that same spray will literally melt the VentureShield surface.
• 3M is used by Nascar and many top sports car racing teams including the factory Audi team, the Corvette Racing team and many more. I guess if anyone knows what's good, those guys have a pretty good idea.

Both films (and paint) require some level of care when washing. You do want to make sure that the film is sprayed with plenty of water and that you use clean towels/sponges but side by side, 3M will perform and look much better than VentureShield.

Ryan, again, the choice is yours. I get nothing from 3M for promoting their brand, (btw, both film are owned by 3M, 3M purchased VentureShield for their tape devision, not the clear bra) but I've been doing this for a while and the last thing I want is for my customers to call me and tell me that their clear bra looks horrible (that's what the Vette guy did). At the end I do care about the future of my business and not just for making a quick buck.
Yellojacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Judge for yourself, search clear bra here...probably 250 threads on the subject. I went with Venture Shield on my black SS. Lifetime warranty on the materials.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
nickruta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdevine View Post
Judge for yourself, search clear bra here...probably 250 threads on the subject. I went with Venture Shield on my black SS. Lifetime warranty on the materials.
Ok so you went with ventureshield is it on the car? how does it actually look?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
nickruta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellojacket View Post
This is the response from the guy who did my clearbra on my mazdaspeed back in 2005. I will have him do my camaro when it comes in.

We did use 3M film on your Mazda and yes there are some installers pushing the VentureShield film. I've done couple cars with that film but to be honest, I'm wondering if I should continue to sell it. This is really about what happens to the film long term and not when you see it after installation.

Before your make your final choice, please consider my professional opinion and findings:
• Venturehsiled is being heavily promoted (imho) because it costs less, it's easier to install and it has slightly less orange peel (the orange peel is probably the only item that you are seeing on online forums as the biggest advantage, there's really minor difference side by side).
• the problem is that VentureShield film will scratch much easier than 3M, it does not have a clear coat. (during installation I must be extra careful not to scratch it with my professional-grade squeegee)
• Once your VentureShield film scratches, there is not much you can do to fix it. Some installers are trying to use heat guns with little results. To me that's dangerous and a waste of time.
• Once you get a bug splat on VentureShield you must clean it off ASAP, if you don't, the guts will permanently leave a mark on the surface. (just had a guy with a Corvette, he drove to Florida, once he got to his destination, tried to clean the bugs, ended up with bunch of spots on the surface.
• Another recent example. I did an Audi S8 about two years ago, that same customer had his CL600 done in Florida where he picked it up just months before. About two weeks ago he had me replace his VentureShield on his CL600 because it looked dull. The A8 still looked great.

• 3M film has a layer of clear coat and is much more durable. There is a reason why the automotive paint has a layer of clear coat, to protect the film from absorbing everything from bugs, dirt, etc. It also protects the film from scratches.
• You can use 70% rubbing alcohol to get rid of fine scratches on 3M, you can also use adhesive and wax remover on 3M, that same spray will literally melt the VentureShield surface.
• 3M is used by Nascar and many top sports car racing teams including the factory Audi team, the Corvette Racing team and many more. I guess if anyone knows what's good, those guys have a pretty good idea.

Both films (and paint) require some level of care when washing. You do want to make sure that the film is sprayed with plenty of water and that you use clean towels/sponges but side by side, 3M will perform and look much better than VentureShield.

Ryan, again, the choice is yours. I get nothing from 3M for promoting their brand, (btw, both film are owned by 3M, 3M purchased VentureShield for their tape devision, not the clear bra) but I've been doing this for a while and the last thing I want is for my customers to call me and tell me that their clear bra looks horrible (that's what the Vette guy did). At the end I do care about the future of my business and not just for making a quick buck.
Thanks for your time , very helpfull.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
vdevine

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...venture+shield

See pics on black car...

PS Make sure you check out the video link....it's why I did it.
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
It will cost more to repair/refinsh your vehicle when / if you ever crash. The clear shields generally cause more damage in removal, adding to reapair cost, espicially if applied over fresh paint. 3M suggests you wait 90 days after repainting (offical) or at least a week. Now what to do while you can not drive your toy. Everything has an upside & downside to consider.
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
Check out Xpel as another alternative to VentureShield and 3M...
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
LSP2010
IM A GURL

Drives: 2010/2SS
this man says he'll do it for me for $600 but he says its best to drive under 80 or 90mph thats gonna be hard thats wat i drive sometimes on the highway
3100, Order available to sequence- n/a
3300, Order sch. for production--- 21may09
3400, Order broadcast------------ 28may09
3800, Order produced ------------ 2jun09(2G1FT1EW8A9114199)
4000, Available to ship
4200, Shipped--------------------9june09

ITS HERE 18JUNE09
LSP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
vdevine

136 mph and no issues.
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
LOL, speed should have nothing to do with it. Unless its a really really bad install and not laid down all the way.

I use VentureShield Ultra and like it very much. it is actually top coated... they have recently come out with this film (about a year ago). It costs a little mroe but it does have a top coat.... but no orange peel like 3M does. I have also seen 3M crack after being in the heat for a couple of years... very poor film IMHO.

That said I install ClearMask AR primarily and have been for over 6 years. it doesnt have any orange peel in it and is more durable then Venture. It also has a lifetime warranty.

by the way, Zaino is excellent for clear bras. It will help protect the film and it doesnt yellow like most waxes do as they age.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote