Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #141
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I put yellow capsules in the fogs- love it. The detail with yellow if you drive in bad weather makes for much better detail. Looks great!
I imagine doing an HID conversion on a stock headlamp would result in the beam being all over the place- those projectors have a great pattern.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #142
oglk

Drives: 2015 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
I used these Kensun 8000k (Ice blue) H7 kits. These kits are great, and super easy to install, but every now and then you may get a faulty ballast, and Kensun will immediately ship out a new one if you email them. This isn't a common occurrence, but happened to me one time.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Convers...rds=kensun+hid
Looks good almost makes me not want to wait till spring to put mine in and thanks for the link with all the problems iv read about ppl having w hids and never having a set wasnt for sure on a decent set to get.
oglk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:26 AM   #143
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Alright SO.....it turns out that the lights we've been linking here from Amazon.com are the Kensun 35W HID kits. They make a 55w kit, but some say that they might melt your headlight housing/lens.

Anyway, here are some better pics of the lights at night. (the headlights are aimed evenly, but the right projector throws a small splash on the ground that makes it looks like it's aimed lower than it is)

As for the guys asking about how to power the Halos in these headlights, most people opt to just T-Tap into the wires going to the side markers, and this is a pretty easy option. This isn't the route I chose to go, but there's nothing wrong with it. Instructional video here:

The wires you'd want to tap are pictured here, with the passenger side marker being hidden in the black housing in the top right corner of the image:

As for how I did it, I used weatherproof/heat-shrink connectors behind the front bumper harness, and ran new wires from both the left and right side markers to the respective halos. I finished this up with new wireloom/conduit and re-taped the harness wireloom. I didn't get an after pic, because I suck as documenting this kind of stuff, but it's back to a factory look. Here are some pics.

What you'll need for this project (just kidding):

Tapping into the harness:

Weatherpack terminal going to Halo (red wire is for powering my Switchback LEDs, shown in the next picture):

My custom harnesses for properly-functioning Switchback 7443 LEDs (one wire is power, and the other two are for resistors that I have remotely mounted and hidden):

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto

Last edited by ghosted; 01-15-2016 at 02:33 PM.
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #144
VTSummit

I'd worry about 55w HID melting the headlamps... I have some VisionX HID off road 55W HIDs and they are much hotter than the same light with a 35W setup.
Some of those aftermarket headlamps don't take well to heat.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #145
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
I'd worry about 55w HID melting the headlamps... I have some VisionX HID off road 55W HIDs and they are much hotter than the same light with a 35W setup.
Some of those aftermarket headlamps don't take well to heat.
That's a good point. I'll remove the link I shared, but leave the info with a disclaimer.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #146
Luegi711

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS (Summit White)
Well guys I had these installed last weekend but I waited until I got the following HIDs from Amazon installed as well (http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Convers...=kensun+hid+h7). I got them for $34.99 which I think a really good deal.

I performed the regular splice install into the sidemarkers lights, but will be doing the fusetap into fusebox #15 later on (Thanks Pathogen!).
Luegi711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #147
VTSummit

Being a 14, I assume your daytime running lights are the low beams- so your HID's come on as DRL now I assume? Did you have to use the anti-flicker kit since the DRL circuit has slightly lower voltage than the regular low beam circuit?
I was thinking about doing these lamps, using both projectors as low and high so 4 headlamps on at once... should be bright as hell. If aimed properly, having 4 low beams shouldn't be too obnoxious.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #148
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
Being a 14, I assume your daytime running lights are the low beams- so your HID's come on as DRL now I assume? Did you have to use the anti-flicker kit since the DRL circuit has slightly lower voltage than the regular low beam circuit?
I was thinking about doing these lamps, using both projectors as low and high so 4 headlamps on at once... should be bright as hell. If aimed properly, having 4 low beams shouldn't be too obnoxious.
These H7s have a built in anti-flicker capacitor.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #149
Camaroredhot

Drives: 2014 2LS
Just installed mine today. Really have to push plug into connector for the lights. Let me scratching my head. But after three hours-easy install. I went with the chrome look. Will see how they look at night.
Attached Images

Camaroredhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #150
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroredhot View Post
Just installed mine today. Really have to push plug into connector for the lights. Let me scratching my head. But after three hours-easy install. I went with the chrome look. Will see how they look at night.
I'd love to see the pics of them! When I pushed my connector in really hard, I ended up screwing up the connector, and had to perform surgery to fix it. So make sure all of your lights work properly.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #151
Camaroredhot

what has to be been to install hid's? If you have to remove the bumper I have that part licked. Since first go round I had ordered the oracle halo ring and that was not going to work after baking/dismantling them.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #152
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
what has to be been to install hid's? If you have to remove the bumper I have that part licked. Since first go round I had ordered the oracle halo ring and that was not going to work after baking/dismantling them.
Just gotta drill a hole in the seal/cap, insert the cables, plug everything in and enjoy. It's pretty simple, the only part that makes people hesitate is that they have to drill a hole in the cap.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #153
Camaroredhot

i take it that they are not plug and play. Can you give me more details of what all has to be done. So they have kind of directions?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #154
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
i take it that they are not plug and play. Can you give me more details of what all has to be done. So they have kind of directions?
They're almost completely plug and play, except for the drilling of the cap for these aftermarket headlights. I'm not sure about the stock headlights, to be honest.

Here's a video of the H7 install on another car, but the same principles still apply.