Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #127
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Paul Walker will definitely be missed. He gave us memorable movies and his memory will live on. Clearly a great talent with a huge heart who can not be replaced.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #128
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
Never mind Paul Walker.....RIP to all the US Servicemen who died in Afghanistan this year.

http://icasualties.org/OEF/Fatalities.aspx
Agreed.

Im not sure how to put it, but its annoying that the media and everyone else is all RIP Paul Walker and act like there wasn't a second person in the car.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #129
alv927

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs dusk edition
look how stupid that was.......letting people test drive your car and that kills you...
alv927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #130
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv927 View Post
look how stupid that was.......letting people test drive your car and that kills you...
It was Roger's car.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #131
StigsAmericanCousin

Drives: Fast, Fun and Loud
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk13SS View Post
Wow man, I'm sorry to hear you can't enjoy your car like you want. I don't know what o would do if I couldn't go to my local 1/4 mile track to enjoy an afternoon/evening of racing.
Yeah man it is a real bummer. We used to have a small circle track right in the middle of town too, but after they '94 Northridge quake they shut it down.

Oh, and the Carrera GT that was crashed, reportedly belonged to Roger, the driver. I also read that the car had been sold along with another car. I would image they set to have some fun but not over do it.

Keep in mind, neither of these guys were inexperienced. Both have raced in either amateur or professional racing events. It goes to show you can't take a fast car lightly. These vehicles DEMAND respect, and when you don't respect them, you pay.
StigsAmericanCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #132
blk13SS

Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Agreed.

Im not sure how to put it, but its annoying that the media and everyone else is all RIP Paul Walker and act like there wasn't a second person in the car.
Please refer back to post #112
2013 1SS LS3/Cold Air Inductions/VMAX ported tb/TSP 1 7/8 LTs and xpipe/factory NPP axleback/BTR stg 3 cam kit/ZL1 injectors/3.91 gears/MGW sts/DSS carbon fiber driveshaft/DSS 1000hp axles/BMR LCAs & adj. toe rods/DSMLIGHTS E85 dyno tune 454/427 running out fuel. ZL1 fuel pump, McLeod twin disk, and retune coming soon!
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #133
blk13SS

Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...?fullsite=true

Found this great article on automobilemag, take a few seconds to read it.
2013 1SS LS3/Cold Air Inductions/VMAX ported tb/TSP 1 7/8 LTs and xpipe/factory NPP axleback/BTR stg 3 cam kit/ZL1 injectors/3.91 gears/MGW sts/DSS carbon fiber driveshaft/DSS 1000hp axles/BMR LCAs & adj. toe rods/DSMLIGHTS E85 dyno tune 454/427 running out fuel. ZL1 fuel pump, McLeod twin disk, and retune coming soon!
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #134
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigsAmericanCousin View Post
unfortunately in southern California, they crack down on street racing and close our local race tracks. The closest 1/4 mile track from where the accident occurred used to be in Palmdale/Lancaster at LACR. Then we started going to California Speedway in Fontana, but you couldn't go faster than 10.0000 there and now that track has been closed (temporarily we hope) due to noise and enviromental concerns (but NASCAR isn't too loud or negatively effects the environment). So the only place I know of is Famoso in Bakersfield 100 miles away.
I'm not saying street racing is ok, or that driving like an asshole on the street is ok either. But when all of you legitimate racing options are a long drive or cost prohibitive (Willow Springs, Button Willow, Fontana Raceway), this is the end result.

The automotive community needs to band together and get safe, legal places to race and enjoy our cars. This is not limited to drag strips, I am talking about all forms of motor racing.

I had an idea I wanted to throw at you guys and see what you thought. In the 90's everyone, everywhere was cracking down on skateboarding. People were issued citations for loitering, vandalism and trespassing for just trying to enjoy their sport/hobby. So, communities built skate parks for skateboarders, rollerbladers and BMX riders to enjoy. Why can't a small portion of public funds be spent on the automotive equivalent of a skate park? Supplemented by revenue from the Autosports Park (I kinda like the ring of that).

Hot Rodding was born in southern California, but now it seems committed to killing it. If our lifestyle is something we want to protect and pass to future generations, the time to act is now.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rant or hijack this thread. The most important thing here is two family men and auto enthusiasts lost their lives in an entirely preventable accident. RIP Roger and Paul
Call it a hijack if you like, but I think Paul and Roger, an experienced driver by any standard, would appreciate this discussion. In fact, the heritage of American performance cars was born on the street. Needless to say, street racing is both dangerous and illegal. Hopefully, new track options are available to you in the future.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #135
StigsAmericanCousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Call it a hijack if you like, but I think Paul and Roger, an experienced driver by any standard, would appreciate this discussion. In fact, the heritage of American performance cars was born on the street. Needless to say, street racing is both dangerous and illegal. Hopefully, new track options are available to you in the future.
I completely agree that American racing heritage was born on the streets of So Cal. I'm in my 30s now but I spent the majority of my teen years sneaking out to go street racing with my friends (prior to the crackdown after the first Fast and Furious). I had an econobox but my friends had Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles, whatever they could afford. Back then we could go to Glenoaks or Roxford races and race until sun up with other car guys. Most of the people there you would see Friday nights at LACR for test and tune. There was a zero tolerance for ****ing off at the street races. No doughnuts, no hoonage unless you were lining up for a race.
Was what we were doing illegal? Without a doubt. Was it safe? Absolutely not. But we all knew the risks involved and did what we could to try and keep it as safe as possible.

But all good thing come to an end right? Enter the first Fast film and a zillion nutbags with Hondas and any other econobox suddenly felt they had race cars. It didn't take long for the idiots to start crashing and hurting people. Before we knew it, new anti-street racing laws were passed and now if you get caught racing in LA county, you may find yourself watching your car get crushed.

I hope that everyone has a little more respect for the power you harness anytime you get behind the wheel of a 3000 pound missile. It doesn't matter if it is a Porsche, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette or Subaru, these cars can and will hurt you and others the moment you don't respect them.

Once again my condolences to the fans, friends and families of both Roger and Paul. These were family men putting on a charity event for those less fortunate and contributing to the communities they cared about.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #136
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigsAmericanCousin View Post
I had an idea I wanted to throw at you guys and see what you thought. In the 90's everyone, everywhere was cracking down on skateboarding. People were issued citations for loitering, vandalism and trespassing for just trying to enjoy their sport/hobby. So, communities built skate parks for skateboarders, rollerbladers and BMX riders to enjoy. Why can't a small portion of public funds be spent on the automotive equivalent of a skate park? Supplemented by revenue from the Autosports Park (I kinda like the ring of that).

Hot Rodding was born in southern California, but now it seems committed to killing it. If our lifestyle is something we want to protect and pass to future generations, the time to act is now.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rant or hijack this thread. The most important thing here is two family men and auto enthusiasts lost their lives in an entirely preventable accident. RIP Roger and Paul
I agree with everything you said about opening up MORE recreational drag strips. But, the problem you have, is you live in the most LIBERAL state in the country. I will guarantee you will have no luck convincing libtards to open up several motorsports parks that will "pollute our precious air." If Cali really got its way, you all would driving Prius'. Racing is not on their agenda. But I really do like your idea.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #137
StigsAmericanCousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
I agree with everything you said about opening up MORE recreational drag strips. But, the problem you have, is you live in the most LIBERAL state in the country. I will guarantee you will have no luck convincing libtards to open up several motorsports parks that will "pollute our precious air." If Cali really got its way, you all would driving Prius'. Racing is not on their agenda. But I really do like your idea.
Thanks for the support. I know the political environment as well as anyone who lives here. Kommunist Kalifornia wants me driving a Prius and using a welfare check to pay for it, but **** that! I want guns and pollution! Or as it was called by our forefathers, FREEDOM!!!!
I'd like to get political and try and get support and funding for this, but I have this thing called common sense and in our state if you use that you are likely to end up in Pelican Bay.
But I'm not talking drag strips only, my idea is a motorsports park. Drag strip, skid pad, even a small road course or enough paved area to set up for auto crossing and drifting (I threw up in my mouth as I typed this but I don't want to discriminate). Basically a car Valhalla for enthusiasts to enjoy. There would be a fee of course, but I'm thinking $20-$30. And try to staff the park with as many volunteers as possible. The facilities could also be used for car shows, boat shows, RV shows or any other event that could help the municipality recoup their investment.
The facility could also be used for hazardous waste collection and recycling points where on designated days people could drop off old/broken electronics, dead batteries, waste oil all the things that shouldn't go in a land fill.
Have the place be open to the public on Friday evenings and weekends for racing/practice and coordinate with the community for during the week usage for non racing activities.
It could also be used by local school districts for defensive driving courses for new drivers in conjunction with their drivers ed classes.

The more I think about it, the list of potential uses and community services are nearly endless. Calling my state representative today so I can be marginalized and laughed at.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #138
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk13SS View Post
Please refer back to post #112
Im not going to flip through pages and pages of a thread to read what everyone has to say. They both lost their lives and should both be treated with respect. However, it shouldn't be some guy getting crazy media coverage because he was in the Fast and Furious while the other guy goes unnoticed since he wasn't famous.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #139
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Did Paul Walker die? (YES, Confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Im not going to flip through pages and pages of a thread to read what everyone has to say. They both lost their lives and should both be treated with respect. However, it shouldn't be some guy getting crazy media coverage because he was in the Fast and Furious while the other guy goes unnoticed since he wasn't famous.
If you don't know someone, it's hard to be affected by their death. Now, most people didn't "know" Paul walker but I guess they felt like they did. Too many people die every moment you can't give thoughts to someone you've never seen or heard of. Yes, media doesn't cover every death because it's impossible. I still can't get why people are baffled when media goes crazy over a celebrity's death and "ignores" soldiers. You're not going to read an article about an anonymous persons death unless there's some kind of crazy circumstances how it happened. Get over it. Let people discuss it
Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #140
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow89 View Post
If you don't know someone, it's hard to be affected by their death. Now, most people didn't "know" Paul walker but I guess they felt like they did. Too many people die every moment you can't give thoughts to someone you've never seen or heard of. Yes, media doesn't cover every death because it's impossible. I still can't get why people are baffled when media goes crazy over a celebrity's death and "ignores" soldiers. You're not going to read an article about an anonymous persons death unless there's some kind of crazy circumstances how it happened. Get over it. Let people discuss it

+10000000000000

Those of you that feel the need to butt-in everywhere and try to trump the significance of someone's death by claiming that "soldiers die everyday and no one cares" should be ashamed of yourselves. People of all walks of life die everyday, many far more tragic than that of a soldier. It's not that we don't care. As flyinlow stated, it's very difficult to feel grief for someone who's name you never knew, soldier or otherwise. There's a time and place to mourn for our fallen service men and women, but this isn't it.

The case was very different for Paul Walker. Of course the vast majority of people that mourned his death probably never even met the man in person. However, the connection he made with gear heads (via the f&f movies and Always Evolving) didn't require a personal relationship.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote