Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
Gr8ride

Drives: Camaro 2Lt
Keys getting stuck in the ignition when turning off the car

It started happenening last week it did it twice in one day, i hand to turn it off and on again then put it in d or reverse, then again today its a 2014 2 lt rs 15k miles
Old 05-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
That sucks, sounds like bad "tumblers' or whatever in the ignition. Bet it will have to be replaced (warranty).

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Neutral safety switch i bet. take it to your dealer, it should be under warranty.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
There's an interlock device to keep you from removing the key in any position besides park.

In a lot of cars Ive seen it in the form of a cable or linkage that goes from the shifter to the steering column. That's what I would look for. Some cars also have linkages that go from brake pedal to shifter to keep the operator from shifting out of park unless they are on the brakes too.

I don't own an Automatic Camaro so that's all the advice I can give.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
It could have been the neutral safety switch.

Another thing that could have happened, if you accidentally turn the wheel after you turn the car off it can put the key in a bind and not allow you to remove the key. To fix it you have to turn the wheel back to relieve the pressure. Parking the car with the wheels turned can do this as well so if possible turn the wheels straight before you turn the car off.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
Gr8ride

Drives: Camaro 2Lt
Thanks for the replies, ill see if i can get it to the dealership this weekend. ill keep you posted on wht it turns out to be.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ride View Post
It started happenening last week it did it twice in one day, i hand to turn it off and on again then put it in d or reverse, then again today its a 2014 2 lt rs 15k miles
Gr8ride,

My apologies regarding your key getting stuck in the ignition. Although I understand how displeasing this would be, it's great to hear that you'll be proactively reaching out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Please keep us updated on what happens! If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if additional assistance is needed. We'll look forward to your updates.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
It could have been the neutral safety switch.

Another thing that could have happened, if you accidentally turn the wheel after you turn the car off it can put the key in a bind and not allow you to remove the key. To fix it you have to turn the wheel back to relieve the pressure. Parking the car with the wheels turned can do this as well so if possible turn the wheels straight before you turn the car off.
Does anyone know why this happens? I also notice that if I lock the wheel after I turn the car off and remove the key, it locks the key from turning when you put it back in the ignition. I don't get it.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
Does anyone know why this happens? I also notice that if I lock the wheel after I turn the car off and remove the key, it locks the key from turning when you put it back in the ignition. I don't get it.
The car has a locking steering column. Helps for theft prevention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote