Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Rough Engine Start After Tune?

There are people on here that know more than most out there so here's my issue. I had ar long tube headers with high flow cats put on Monday and a tune right afterwards. When the tuner was done the engine started rough. They pulled some fuses even disconnected the battery and connected it again. The engine still started rough. They said it will be rough for awhile but will come out of it. Now two days later the check engine light came on.

Will the engine start issue straighten itself out? Did the start issue cause the check engine light or did the tuner not disable the cat efficiency codes which will cause the check engine light to come on? Should I bring it back to the tuner right away or wait for a few more days?

Here is a video of the rough engine start. I put Borla S Type mufflers on and a Roto-Fab CAI also. It sounds great, but I don't want the rough start or check engine light to cause more issues.

Sands - Surprise
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
jbsrace1

Drives: 2010 2ss
You need to disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for at least 5 min.
The fuel pump module did not reset after the tune. It has to be disconnected long enough for the capacitors to bleed down to allow it to reset.
jbsrace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
mark_p

Drives: 2010 2SSRS m6
Take it to another tuner. your tuner is an idiot. It should NEVER do this. He probably did not even delete the rear two 02 sensors either. Mine is programmed to take about 1.5s to start but thtat is on purppose. He should never tell you that it is going to work itseld out. That is a cop out for I don't know what I'm doing. Yours sounds sick.
mark_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_p View Post
Take it to another tuner. your tuner is an idiot. It should NEVER do this. He probably did not even delete the rear two 02 sensors either. Mine is programmed to take about 1.5s to start but thtat is on purppose. He should never tell you that it is going to work itseld out. That is a cop out for I don't know what I'm doing. Yours sounds sick.
Word, that should never happen, and a good tuner would never let a car leave there shop like that

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Bmble_B

Drives: 2SS Rally Yellow LS3/Maggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
There are people on here that know more than most out there so here's my issue. I had ar long tube headers with high flow cats put on Monday and a tune right afterwards. When the tuner was done the engine started rough. They pulled some fuses even disconnected the battery and connected it again. The engine still started rough. They said it will be rough for awhile but will come out of it. Now two days later the check engine light came on.

Will the engine start issue straighten itself out? Did the start issue cause the check engine light or did the tuner not disable the cat efficiency codes which will cause the check engine light to come on? Should I bring it back to the tuner right away or wait for a few more days?

Here is a video of the rough engine start. I put Borla S Type mufflers on and a Roto-Fab CAI also. It sounds great, but I don't want the rough start or check engine light to cause more issues.

Remove the negative battery cable from the battery. Touch the negative cable to the positive cable for a couple of seconds. This discharges all memory and capacitors within every module on the vehicle. No need to take negative cable off and leave it off for any amount of time. This also resets fuel trims quickly.
Bmble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
All I have to say is "You gotta LOVE this web site and its members"!!!!!!!!!! She starts right away now. The check engine light is off now too.

I disconnected the negative battery cable and left it off for 5 minutes, then touched the negative to the positive terminal for 2 seconds using another wire as the negative cable won't reach over there.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! You're the best. I don't like when she's sick, I was worried about her and you helped...big time.

I'll post a video of how she starts now. She sounds fantastic!

Sands - Surprise
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Glad to hear Camaro5 strikes again with great advice.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
jbsrace1

Drives: 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
Word, that should never happen, and a good tuner would never let a car leave there shop like that
I do not ever like to talk bad about another shop but it should have never went out the door in that condition.

Glad you got it straightened out
jbsrace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmble_B View Post
Remove the negative battery cable from the battery. Touch the negative cable to the positive cable for a couple of seconds. This discharges all memory and capacitors within every module on the vehicle. No need to take negative cable off and leave it off for any amount of time. This also resets fuel trims quickly.
That's how we do it.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrace1 View Post
You need to disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for at least 5 min.
The fuel pump module did not reset after the tune. It has to be disconnected long enough for the capacitors to bleed down to allow it to reset.
Yup read about this on HpTuners.com months ago. Jbsrace1: Post up your shops name for this solution. You deserve some props for being a reputable place.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote