Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
kravmaga79

Drives: 2015 2ls
Intake silencer removal

Anyone done this? Im talking about the ugly bulb on the side of the intake tube, i assume its mainly a silencer and possibly for a tiny extra volume of air on hard acceleration.

just wanna know what it sounds like, if it sounds any more aggressive and how it helps cleanup the engine bay aesthetics
kravmaga79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Yes - replaced with the OEM Z28 Tube/intake. I sure like the looks much better now.
Do not notice very much difference in intake noise but that is mostly due to the factory installed option NPP Exhaust that is also on it which roars/gurgles/pops real good.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
kravmaga79

thanks for the reply, mines a v6 so not exactly an apples to apples comparison
yours has that factory nnp exhaust , mines has aftermarket exhaust.

I do know when i removed the intake tubes on my nissan altima it made an absolutely massive diffference, sounded like the old 4 barrel sound on chevy v8s kicking in, it was awesome but i guess its too much to expect from this minor change on camaro intake
Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Have the same set up has Ron 123 sounds really good. Lot of vendors sell V-6 intake kits.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.

Last edited by olblue75; 08-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
kravmaga79

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Have the same set up has Ron 123 sounds really good. Lot of vendors sell V-6 intake kits.
im too cheap /poor to pay for a intake when i just want a more aggressive sound and dont like ugly bulb on side of intake, which is why i wanna find out if just removing it produces the same aggressive sound as replacing the intake tube with aftermarket one?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kravmaga79 View Post
im too cheap /poor to pay for a intake when i just want a more aggressive sound and dont like ugly bulb on side of intake, which is why i wanna find out if just removing it produces the same aggressive sound as replacing the intake tube with aftermarket one?
https://www.southerncarparts.com/201...hoCI-MQAvD_BwE

Best bet right there, unless you can find a used intake for cheap. If that's too much then you could always cut a hole in the bottom of your airbox... no idea how that would do though with these cars. On my old Honda it worked but it was a little ghetto lol sounded good though!
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by kravmaga79 View Post
Anyone done this? Im talking about the ugly bulb on the side of the intake tube, i assume its mainly a silencer and possibly for a tiny extra volume of air on hard acceleration.

just wanna know what it sounds like, if it sounds any more aggressive and how it helps cleanup the engine bay aesthetics
Mainly the resonator is to absorb the reversion of air from the intake manifold to allow a smoother flow of air into the manifold and gain a few HP.

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow
Old 08-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
kravmaga79

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
https://www.southerncarparts.com/201...hoCI-MQAvD_BwE

Best bet right there, unless you can find a used intake for cheap. If that's too much then you could always cut a hole in the bottom of your airbox... no idea how that would do though with these cars. On my old Honda it worked but it was a little ghetto lol sounded good though!
that is exactly what i want to end up with but now im not sure, if that other guys link is true and im sacrificing a few hp ?