Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #2983
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Camaro_SS View Post
Coo just let me know when it is close to due date and Ill try to stop by for the finished project and start up!!!!! I know they said they started it already but I wanna see it start and run! Im sure you do as well.

:happy anim:

No problem. I will have to jet out to road tune it with them before it comes back. One set of tires will be left in CA...on the streets...

Just waitin' for that tranny.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #2984
Cali_Camaro_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (BLACK)
Nice, wanna see that for sure, good luck and hopefully done soon
keep us updated, even though you always do
1SS: Dnyatech LT Headers | Dynamaxx CatBack | Diablo Tune | Intake | Pfatds Springs | Heritage Grill | Blacked out Bezels | Black Chevy Sign | Blacked out Wheels | Tint | HIDs w/Error code Eliminator | Green Dome/Trunk Light |

Cali_Camaro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #2985
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
wow, farthest down the list that i have seen in some time....bruce, your a smart guy with some of this car crap...need some ideas outside the box...my kb is running 180plus iats thru the 1/4..really need to drop some temps...i did 50/50 meth to try and cool the cylinders, did not do much for my iats...sc1250 is working on a chiller---ted installed some sort of icebox in superchargedss trunk,no log #,s yet { cool intercooler lines?}..i noticed that the kb intercooler is like half size of the maggies which are running 40 degrees cooler than the kb@wot...swapping to a intercooler twice the size, help that much?..besides shooting nitouus down the throat? anything else that somehow i could throw down the intake @wot that would cool the iats ? this is not my scene and thought you could share some insight of something not thought of..
Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #2986
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
wow, farthest down the list that i have seen in some time....bruce, your a smart guy with some of this car crap...need some ideas outside the box...my kb is running 180plus iats thru the 1/4..really need to drop some temps...i did 50/50 meth to try and cool the cylinders, did not do much for my iats...sc1250 is working on a chiller---ted installed some sort of icebox in superchargedss trunk,no log #,s yet { cool intercooler lines?}..i noticed that the kb intercooler is like half size of the maggies which are running 40 degrees cooler than the kb@wot...swapping to a intercooler twice the size, help that much?..besides shooting nitouus down the throat? anything else that somehow i could throw down the intake @wot that would cool the iats ? this is not my scene and thought you could share some insight of something not thought of..
You are running a 2.8 right? Pulley size? Boost?
The IAT is pretty high. Where are you pulling you inlet air from?

You list the 3 basic methods of cooling:
1) Intercooler
2) Meth
3) Nitrous,etc.

For the KB which is liquid cooled I'd say a system like J has (Supercharged SS) would give you the biggest IAT drop. Both for the intercooler and the case temperature. The meth is such a small quantity that it won't cool very much but every little bit helps.

Do you have good underhood airflow? i.e. what is the ambient temp on the intake itself?

Also, you may want to PM Midgard. (Another J.) He has a KB and may have some tricks they used.

Yell whenever.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #2987
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
So when I guy gets to the point of picking a blower, Which one is the way to go?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #2988
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
So when I guy gets to the point of picking a blower, Which one is the way to go?

The noisy one... ha,ha.

There are so many threads and opinions on this one. Magnacharger, KB, Whipple, ProCharger, Vortec, etc.

Damn it's great to have a Camaro - so many good choices.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #2989
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

the only real rationale I can give is to ask, "where do you want it to make it's power and torque?" From there you can whittle it down.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #2990
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
the only real rationale I can give is to ask, "where do you want it to make it's power and torque?" From there you can whittle it down.

I would guess low to midrange area, ET is made in the first 60' and to half track. Pumpkin's glass ceiling will be 11:50 as I have no plans to put a roll bar in. That being said I would like to be able to run 11:50 at the drop of a hat and all day long.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #2991
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
I would guess low to midrange area. Pumpkin's glass ceiling will be 11:50 as I have no plans to put a roll bar in. That being said I would like to be able to run 11:50 at the drop of a hat and all day long.

Based on the what we've seen here. that would put you in a Maggie, whipple or even KB...

Maggie, has the low end snap you back torque. The whipple seems to have the best IAT of the bunch and make a little more mid range HP

I don't know too much about the KB... but it is a twin screw so will be close to the whipple I'm guessing...

sooooo how much longer till you pull the trigger??? you've got just about everything else done!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #2992
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Based on the what we've seen here. that would put you in a Maggie, whipple or even KB...

Maggie, has the low end snap you back torque. The whipple seems to have the best IAT of the bunch and make a little more mid range HP

I don't know too much about the KB... but it is a twin screw so will be close to the whipple I'm guessing...

sooooo how much longer till you pull the trigger??? you've got just about everything else done!
Were still aways yet. I have something in the works for the diff. Tranny over the winter and then will be good to go. Then it will come down to $$$.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #2993
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
thanks bruce, funny, have spoken with midgard couple times over last week...i am running the 2.8 with 9 boost...not lc...he is running good iats temps...but is running the maggie intercooler, and my mech said it is at least twice the size of the kb in his opinion..thats why intercooler was considered..merc, i would cosider the maggie...unless you are gonna push over 800 hp...it seems the most used and biggest bang for buck...imo...don,t get me wrong, i like my kb, but if i can,t get iats lower in florida heat, its hard for me to recommend...btw , bruce my camaro club member -g200 has the 2.8 lc and my mech went with him to log his iats and run @pbir..he ran over 200 degrees at the end...i believe it was close to 220, on a friday night with stock kb and headers..ouch..11.7 @113..no top end...mike norris is gonna tune in july , but sounded lot like timing pull from so much heat did not help
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #2994
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
thanks bruce, funny, have spoken with midgard couple times over last week...i am running the 2.8 with 9 boost...not lc...he is running good iats temps...but is running the maggie intercooler, and my mech said it is at least twice the size of the kb in his opinion..thats why intercooler was considered..merc, i would cosider the maggie...unless you are gonna push over 800 hp...it seems the most used and biggest bang for buck...imo...don,t get me wrong, i like my kb, but if i can,t get iats lower in florida heat, its hard for me to recommend...btw , bruce my camaro club member -g200 has the 2.8 lc and my mech went with him to log his iats and run @pbir..he ran over 200 degrees at the end...i believe it was close to 220, on a friday night with stock kb and headers..ouch..11.7 @113..no top end...mike norris is gonna tune in july , but sounded lot like timing pull from so much heat did not help
Mike,

Corey and I are looking at back cutting my front bumper and reinforcing it in a different fashion. this will allow us to build a small hidden old school style air dam on the bottom of the bumper (actual bumper, not the front fascia) that will actually duct some air up to the intercooler. 2/3rds of my intercooler is behind the bumper skin... By making more clearance and using the louver style add on to duct air up to it, it will effectively increase the air flow over the intercooler,

We'll see if it helps.... Our concern is IATs for the mile run...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #2995
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Wow - 220 IAT is asking for detonation/pre-ignition in the warm Florida weather. Brutal temps at PBIR. Glad you spoke with Midgard that IC setup may bet the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Mike,

Corey and I are looking at back cutting my front bumper and reinforcing it in a different fashion. this will allow us to build a small hidden old school style air dam on the bottom of the bumper (actual bumper, not the front fascia) that will actually duct some air up to the intercooler. 2/3rds of my intercooler is behind the bumper skin... By making more clearance and using the louver style add on to duct air up to it, it will effectively increase the air flow over the intercooler,

We'll see if it helps.... Our concern is IATs for the mile run...
It may or may not be what you want but the splitter on the SST was not bought just because of the look. ACS made it like the Z06 Vette Splitter and you can order it with the ducts for radiator/intercooler cooling. Works well. Just a thought even if you only wanted it for the Texas Mile both for cooling and it keeps air from getting under Brandi.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #2996
speedster
SST...

Just came across this video. You may see something familiar around 10:00 and then the 11:00 to 11:45 area.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nelsonra.../1/GumEaqjf5qk

Last edited by speedster; 06-15-2011 at 05:14 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo