Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Jatterbu

Drives: GRAND-AM GS.R Camaro's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Thanks for the photos, I like racing series that work with factory issued products. I don't recognize the brand of coilover being used. Can you tell us who makes the coilover for the Mitchum Camaro. How much does the car weight?

In the GRAND-AM CTSCC series there are only 2 options for competitors to use for shocks, Koni and AST. All of the Mitchum cars run the AST shocks, however springs are unrestricted and can be changed to any height and/or rate. Through testing the two different branded shocks are almost identical in speed but driver tuning was preferred on the AST shocks.

The Camaro's that compete in the GS class have to weigh 3300lbs after the race, this means no fuel and no driver weight added. With a fuel capacity of over 18 gallons and a driver that weighs roughly 170lbs, the cars can easily reach 3600lbs when racing.

Joey
Jatterbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
Jatterbu

Have some more updates as of this morning at 10am.

Interior Dash installed with Motec system:

Fuel Cell install has begun:
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Jatterbu

The boys will be finishing up in some other area's of the car today and I will update one more time at the end of the day. The plan is to have the new #62 up and running tonight and strapped down on the dyno all day Thursday to shake her down and make sure she is running 100%.

Completed dash with steering wheel, Motec, Control Panel, Radio & Electronics:
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Thanks for all the cool pics and info. I'm always amazed at how accessible you guys are, at the track, and now here on this forum

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Jatterbu

Some final pictures from today. They are adding water to the system right now and will have the fuel system done by the end of the day. The #62 should be alive again by tomorrow morning and will post a video of it starting up and running here in the shop for you guys.

Dry Sump Oil System tank mounted and hoses complete:

Interior Dry Dump, Fire Suppression System and Cool Shirt box:

Nearly completed Engine Bay with all lines/hoses installed and water being added:

Let me know if you guys have any questions!

Joey
Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7

Thanks so much for sharing these with your racefans, Joey Atterbury!!!

Kick some a$$ at Indy!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by "prima"Donna View Post

Kick some a$$ at Indy!!!
Hmmmm I'm torn by your statement now that he drives a Mustang....

I kid I kid... Good Luck Joey!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #22
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Nice thread. I try to watch the Continental Tire series as much as I can. Other than the dry sump, is that a stock longblock LS3? Is the transmission a stock Tremec 6060? What kind of differential do you use?

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
thanks so much for sharing the pics as it all comes together. Loving it!!! Cant wait to see it on the track here at Indy!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Nice thread. I try to watch the Continental Tire series as much as I can. Other than the dry sump, is that a stock longblock LS3? Is the transmission a stock Tremec 6060? What kind of differential do you use?
IIRC, Grand Am allows the Camaro's to run forged pistons after a lot of failures in 2010 (we toasted an engine on the main straight in New Jersey). You can also have the engine blueprinted too. But for the most part, they are stock engines.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
Jatterbu

Thanks for all the compliments! I will keep you guys updated as she starts up and the rest of the car is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
For the most part yes it is a 'stock' LS3. We are allowed forged pistons in replacement of the OEM units but they must be stock compression. Really there is no HP benefit here, just a more durable piece. We are also allowed to replace some other internal parts that are meant to deal with the higher temps and stress of racing but provide no real HP gains. All of our GRAND-AM engines are built by CRD in Charlotte and that is where all the Camaro teams have their's built as well. We even still have to use a completely stock intake with box and stock exhaust manifolds. They still make the Camaro run a restrictor in the Throttle Body as well.

The Camaro has a choice of two different transmissions for 2012. We have been running the last 2 years on the stock Tremec box that has been pulled apart and gone through to maximize efficiency, still maintains all stock gearing. We also have the option of a GM prototype transmission that is simply a taller 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear but keeps the same 4th, 5th, and 6th of the stock Tremec unit. We tend to use the new trans on tracks that require very slow speed corners and need a taller gear, 2nd, to prevent wheel-spin exiting the slow corners.

Joey
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #26
MrsLT1PWRD
Camaro "Disciple"

Drives: #1 13 HWSE, 95Z, 06 HHR, & 03 Ion
Thanks for the thread & updates.....can't wait to see it in Indy!!

Our Hot Wheels Special Edition Short Story: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...eels+delivered
MrsLT1PWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
Jatterbu

To give everyone an update, the #62 is up and running! The Mitchum guys have built a brand new car in less than 1 week from a bare chassis with cage, it is an outstanding effort. They finished up the fuel system as well as complete ****pit completion, the only thing that is left on the car is the front fenders, bumper, wheels and a few zip-ties here and there. It will be off to the dyno tomorrow and possibly a shakedown run at a track on Friday to ensure it is ready to race at Indy.

Completed driver ****pit with power-up and pit lane speed limiter lights on:

Completed Fuel System:

And lastly, the #62 starting for the first time!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #28
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Love those sounds....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote