Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Talking Muscle Master's Camaro Blueprints... 454?

So I'm coming up with ideas for mods when I get my SS.. I don't really like forced induction. So I will be doing a NA build.. most liking I'm stroking my engine and I think 454 ci. should do it

Realistically my goal/limit is 550 rwhp

But I have some questions:

How bad is the gas mileage going to be ?

For the sole purpose of Launching this bitch !!! would it be better to go the A6/L99 route ?

Would it be wise to switch out the rear-end or the stock one is strong enough ?

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
fuffl

Drives: #3124!!!
The A6 is going to be much easier on the launching. Really the manual is inferior for drag racing. I've got the stick but that's just because I enjoy it more. As for the rear end, you're going to need new axles, but your carrier should live. I'll let you know in a while. I'm in that power range and my break-in period is gonna be wrapped up next week.

You can definitely get to a 454ci LS motor for your power range. However, there's no good way to do it with your stock LS3 block. You can stroke and bore it to a 427 but even that is iffy. Your piston tops are thinner and the bottom of the piston drops out of the cylinder at the bottom of the crank cycle. If you use an LS7 style block (bigger bore) you can get to a 440 with the same stroke. It'll be easy for you to reach your power goal with either of those options. For a 454 you'll have to go the iron LSX block route. For the money you'd spend it's probably not worth it unless you plan on going bat-shit crazy!

My gas mileage on the 427 is still over 20 on the highway. It gets iffy in town..somewhere barely north of 10. That said, I don't really have a great tune yet.

Good luck on your venture. NA is the way to go! The low RPM torque on a 400+ cube LS motor is unreal.
fuffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuffl View Post
The A6 is going to be much easier on the launching. Really the manual is inferior for drag racing. I've got the stick but that's just because I enjoy it more. As for the rear end, you're going to need new axles, but your carrier should live. I'll let you know in a while. I'm in that power range and my break-in period is gonna be wrapped up next week.

You can definitely get to a 454ci LS motor for your power range. However, there's no good way to do it with your stock LS3 block. You can stroke and bore it to a 427 but even that is iffy. Your piston tops are thinner and the bottom of the piston drops out of the cylinder at the bottom of the crank cycle. If you use an LS7 style block (bigger bore) you can get to a 440 with the same stroke. It'll be easy for you to reach your power goal with either of those options. For a 454 you'll have to go the iron LSX block route. For the money you'd spend it's probably not worth it unless you plan on going bat-shit crazy!

My gas mileage on the 427 is still over 20 on the highway. It gets iffy in town..somewhere barely north of 10. That said, I don't really have a great tune yet.

Good luck on your venture. NA is the way to go! The low RPM torque on a 400+ cube LS motor is unreal.
Thanks so much for the input

When I get it... this Camaro is gonna be a beast

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange
Why is this convo taking place in the forced induction area if you don't wanted forced induction? I would agree, it will cost alot more to get to a 454 than it is worth - speaking of power output. A good set of heads on a 416 will make 1.5 hp per C.I. 625hp with auto trans would be 500 rwhp
dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
thekid96

Drives: Z06, 69 Camaro
I want a 454.
How much will gas cost me?
But I have money for a new rear end.
Dude, where's my car?
thekid96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
if the goal is 454 cubes, you might want to try building an LSX Bowtie block and sell the original engine.

And fuel economy will be bad ... how bad depends on how much you enjoy using all that engine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
If you really have to have 454ci than it has to be done with the LSX block. Even with the LSX block I am not keen on the idea of anything over a 4.00" stroke and I think you have to have a 4.10" for 454ci. LSX blocks are awesome but probably overkill for a naturally aspirated motor IMO. Like everyone has said, 550RWHP is for sure possible with a stroked and worked LS3. A LS7 or LSX block with a 4.00" crank will make 427ci and matched with the great LS7 type heads could produce mountains of power. I know you want to stay NA but you will be taking the long, hard and expensive road becuase alot of owners have more power than your goal with just a bolt on blower. Good Luck either way.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I have chucksTuning CTS cam on a stock displacement motor and Im getting an average of 8mpg in town.. my tune must suckbutt..
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
I have chucksTuning CTS cam on a stock displacement motor and Im getting an average of 8mpg in town.. my tune must suckbutt..
or your having way too much fun