Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #197
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I'm starting to think that we won't see a Z/28 until the 6th gen because I don't think GM doesn't want to cut in on the marketing of the new C7 Corvette. Especially since they have spent alot of time and money on research and development.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #198
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I'm starting to think that we won't see a Z/28 until the 6th gen because I don't think GM doesn't want to cut in on the marketing of the new C7 Corvette. Especially since they have spent alot of time and money on research and development.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #199
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

I don't think it has anything to do with the C7. The LS7 is the obvious engine for the Z/28 and I don't think GM will do it. I doubt they can't do it, more like they won't do it. They want to keep the top model Vettes as exclusive as possible and don't want to ruin that by dropping their engines in anything else.

With the 6th gen Camaro coming, GM better get to work on the LT engines to power them or we will be stuck with a V6 Camaro and a V8 Camaro until they do. If they want to keep the Camaro around, they can't hold back viable engines to power it. Other wise, they will have to limit it's performance to keep it below the Vette and it will die off again.

I'm starting to think that document showing the LS7 as a Camaro engine was a photoshop.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #200
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the C7. The LS7 is the obvious engine for the Z/28 and I don't think GM will do it. I doubt they can't do it, more like they won't do it. They want to keep the top model Vettes as exclusive as possible and don't want to ruin that by dropping their engines in anything else.

With the 6th gen Camaro coming, GM better get to work on the LT engines to power them or we will be stuck with a V6 Camaro and a V8 Camaro until they do. If they want to keep the Camaro around, they can't hold back viable engines to power it. Other wise, they will have to limit it's performance to keep it below the Vette and it will die off again.

I'm starting to think that document showing the LS7 as a Camaro engine was a photoshop.
You make some valid points with regards to the motor. I think GM has strategically planned for each release of their top high performance vehicles so as to not "cross-pollinate" or detract from the emphasis of the releases of their two top dogs in the performance category. It's just good business practice. I can't remember a time in the last 20 years that they made two major announcements in the same year for both the Camaro and the Corvette. Do you?

And this is the New GM, not the old, they have to establish a good business plan that will make the most sense for the Chevy division as well as in the best interest of the company, not just to satisfy a small percentage of enthusiasts..

Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #201
Bhobbs

Quote:
You make some valid points with regards to the motor. I think GM has strategically planned for each release of their top high performance vehicles so as to not "cross-pollinate" or detract from the emphasis of the releases of their two top dogs in the performance category. It's just good business practice. I can't remember a time in the last 20 years that they made two major announcements in the same year for both the Camaro and the Corvette. Do you?

No, I don't but only being 22 might have something to do with that.

And this is the New GM, not the old, they have to establish a good business plan that will make the most sense for the Chevy division as well as in the best interest of the company, not just to satisfy a small percentage of enthusiasts..

True, but I don't see how pushing both cars to their limit would hurt anything. Plus, using the engines on both cars would make them cheaper. It's not like the Camaro would ever come close to the Corvette performance wise if they both had the same engine.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #202
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
True, but I don't see how pushing both cars to their limit would hurt anything. Plus, using the engines on both cars would make them cheaper. It's not like the Camaro would ever come close to the Corvette performance wise if they both had the same engine.
You're right about the performance aspect, but again, it does come down go them deciding if it meets their goals.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #203
Bhobbs

Quote:
You're right about the performance aspect, but again, it does come down go them deciding if it meets their goals.
Which is why there is no Z/28.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #204
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Which is why there is no Z/28.
So very true!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #205
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:

Look in the LS7 vin card thread. It was definitely not a typo. GM acknowledged the vin card in that thread and said that it wasn't complete. They never said that an LS7 Camaro wasn't coming. The LS7 was listed but a model for it to go in was not. That's what was missing on the card, they're just not ready to say it yet. They wanted to give the Z28 fans a little tidbit to hold them off until they're ready for the announcement. We're getting restless again so maybe we'll get some more info soon. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #206
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
get yo ticket in your hand

tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #207
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
It's soley a matter of timing. All new 2014 C7 Vette gets LT1 DI motor. The new Camaro, when it debuts, will also get the LT1 as the base 8 cylinder. Will the Gen 6 debut in 2015, or 2016? So, since GM will not put a new Gen engine in an old frame and body, we shall see more of the usual LS motor fare, unchanged internally, until the end of the Gen 5 Camaro line. Timing once again,...the ZL1 was supposed to be the Z/28. It morphed into the mega perma grin ZL1 over time. Now, since so much time and effort was placed into it, and it has become a special model for all that GM could achieve and bring to market for a bargain price...all things considered..., timing dictates the Z/28 will not be placed in direct competition against sales of the ZL1. Chevy will discontinue the ZL1 in the not too distant future I believe, which will preserve the special nature of the ZL1 model. When this happens, the Z/28 will be the heir apparent, and have no other internal competition. Timing is everything.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #208
NovaDaddy
Nova Daddy

Drives: 2012 Cummins/1972 Nova 2 door coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
It's soley a matter of timing. All new 2014 C7 Vette gets LT1 DI motor. The new Camaro, when it debuts, will also get the LT1 as the base 8 cylinder. Will the Gen 6 debut in 2015, or 2016? So, since GM will not put a new Gen engine in an old frame and body, we shall see more of the usual LS motor fare, unchanged internally, until the end of the Gen 5 Camaro line. Timing once again,...the ZL1 was supposed to be the Z/28. It morphed into the mega perma grin ZL1 over time. Now, since so much time and effort was placed into it, and it has become a special model for all that GM could achieve and bring to market for a bargain price...all things considered..., timing dictates the Z/28 will not be placed in direct competition against sales of the ZL1. Chevy will discontinue the ZL1 in the not too distant future I believe, which will preserve the special nature of the ZL1 model. When this happens, the Z/28 will be the heir apparent, and have no other internal competition. Timing is everything.
I think your thoughts are very accurate. My thought/wish for the 2014 SS and 1LE is a slight HP boost on the 6.2L to about 480-495. This would help even out the current power to weight ratio the Mustang holds over the Camaro.
NovaDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #209
Bhobbs

Pyrolysis: I didn't know that VIN card was confirmed by GM.

OldSchool: I don't see the ZL1 going away. It may not be produced for the first few years of the 6th gen but I think it will come back.

Nova: I doubt they will rework any of the LS engines at this point in time. They will more than likely develop the new LT engines instead.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #210
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDaddy View Post
I think your thoughts are very accurate. My thought/wish for the 2014 SS and 1LE is a slight HP boost on the 6.2L to about 480-495. This would help even out the current power to weight ratio the Mustang holds over the Camaro.
If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to raise the HP by that much on the LS3.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote