Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Exclamation SS: 1SS and 2SS

There are a lot of people on Camaro5 who have, not knowing any better, made posts asking about issues with the 2SS. Some of these issues are not unique to the more loaded SS, so I want to help our members differentiate between these trim levels.

The 1SS, sometimes identified as the stripper SS, features a 6.2L V8 (LS3 or L99), a 6-speed automatic or manual transmission, standard 20-inch wheels with Pirelli tires, standard Brembo brakes, and a superior suspension, making this model perform above the LS and LT models. The 2SS, sometimes identified as the high-feature SS, also has the same 6.2L V8, the same 6-speed transmission, the same wheels and tires, and the same superior suspension. If you are posting about the engine, transmission, wheels, tires, brakes, or suspension on your Camaro 1SS or 2SS, be sure to include all SS models in your discussion since the parts are the same.

The 2SS does include additional features that make it unique. Because some of these are also available for the 1SS, members should consider whether these options are available on the 1SS before making a post suggesting a 2SS-specific problem. For example, if you are talking about the Boston Acoustics 9-speaker sound system, ask for feedback from all people who could have this system, including 1SS drivers who may have added this option. Below is a list of Camaro features, whether they are available on the 1SS as an option, and whether they are standard on the 2SS. The color green indicates that a feature is standard on all SS models. The color blue indicates that this is available as an option on the 1SS and standard on the 2SS. The color red indicates that a feature is only available on the 2SS.

Camaro SS Features and Options
  • 20-inch 5-spoke wheels
  • 4-pack gauges
  • 6.2L V8
  • 6-speed transmission
  • 9-speaker Boston Acoustics sound system
  • auxiliary input jack
  • Bluetooth connectivity*
  • Brembo brakes
  • heated exterior mirrors
  • heated front seats
  • heated rearview mirror with automatic dimming feature
  • leather seats
  • MP3 playback
  • Pirelli tires
  • rear parking assist
  • remote vehicle start
  • track-tuned suspension
  • universal home remote
  • USB port*

As you can see, only a few frequently discussed 2SS features are red: Bluetooth connectivity, heated exterior mirrors, heated front seats, heated interior mirror with automatic dimming feature, leather seats, rear parking assist, universal home remote, and USB port. If you are posting a thread specific to these features, 2SS drivers would most likely be the only ones with personal experience. If you are posting about something that could affect all SS drivers, it would be better etiquette to include all SS drivers in the title of the thread or the discussion.

I hope this clears up any confusion on the features that make the 2SS unique from the 1SS. As you all know, the price difference is only about $3k, so it would make sense that Chevrolet would offer most features on both trim levels. There are many additional features that these trims share and additional information available at Chevrolet's website.

*Bluetooth connectivity and USB port—ordering the PDIM may resolve this issue; not available at the time of order as an option; contact CamaroScotty for more information
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 01-09-2010 at 07:07 PM.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Actually rear parking assist comes with the C&C package and remote start comes on every auto equipped SS or LT. An L99 1SS will have remote start.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Actually rear parking assist comes with the C&C package and remote start comes on every auto equipped SS or LT. An L99 1SS will have remote start.
Remote vehicle start and rear parking assist are not available on the 1SS according to the Chevrolet website.

Last edited by The_Blur; 01-09-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I am so lost as to why this was posted... I am sorry. Not trying to disrespect you blur... I just dont get it.

I guess I cant think of an instance where it would matter what people had or how they addressed the thread. If I had an issue with my 2SS/RS and someone who had a 1LT knew the answer... sweet!?

Sorry, just seems like you put a lot of time into that for nothing.

And last time I checked the 4 pack is not available on the 1SS through GM. Don't you have to go through the dealer and have it installed then the computer reflased of something so they work?

black5thgen found the other errors...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
I have a 1SS auto with sunroof and polished 20's, I can tell you right now, the 1SS does not come with the remote start feature. You can have the remote start feature added to your 1SS for 100.00 dollars via GMPARTSDIRECT.com.

Also doesn't come with rear parking assist.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I am so lost as to why this was posted... I am sorry. Not trying to disrespect you blur... I just dont get it.

I guess I cant think of an instance where it would matter what people had or how they addressed the thread. If I had an issue with my 2SS/RS and someone who had a 1LT knew the answer... sweet!?

Sorry, just seems like you put a lot of time into that for nothing.

And last time I checked the 4 pack is not available on the 1SS through GM. Don't you have to go through the dealer and have it installed then the computer reflased of something so they work?

black5thgen found the other errors...
Some people have been posting, "2SS owners, help me!" when the problem has nothing to do with features specific to the 2SS. Someone with a 1SS might have the same problem and, even better, a solution. For the sake of etiquette, members should use appropriate diction. If the problem only affects 2SS owners, it makes sense to only ask 2SS owners for help. If the problem could affect other people, we should include them in the discussion. This prevents confusion for people who don't know any better.

Why was this thread posted? I want to avoid confusion for new members who might not know, for instance, that a 1SS might have the Boston Acoustics system available or the very same Pirelli tires. Camaro5 is a community that is designed to share information. I'm trying to make sure that the information provided is correct.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Some people have been posting, "2SS owners, help me!" when the problem has nothing to do with features specific to the 2SS. Someone with a 1SS might have the same problem and, even better, a solution.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
So you think everyone is going to read this thread and everything will be okay from here on out? No offense or anything but I also find this thread pointless...
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Yeah, 4 pack gauges are not an option on 1SS
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
So you think everyone is going to read this thread and everything will be okay from here on out? No offense or anything but I also find this thread pointless...
Are you asking me to ask the moderators close this thread? I respectfully decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Yeah, 4 pack gauges are not an option on 1SS
You're correct. I did have a reason for listing them as an option, though. You can order the 4-pack gauges and have them installed without tearing apart the interior. The same is not true of the PDIM, which requires the dash be torn apart and wired to it in order to have a remote USB connection and Bluetooth. Because the 4-pack gauges makes for an easy install, I went ahead and listed it as an option.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
people are lazy! The easiest way is to just be generic and ask everybody. People don't search for answers they just ask other people for quick and easy answers.

This could be solved by people just doing research and not being lazy!

I like the write up!
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Some people have been posting, "2SS owners, help me!" when the problem has nothing to do with features specific to the 2SS. Someone with a 1SS might have the same problem and, even better, a solution. For the sake of etiquette, members should use appropriate diction. If the problem only affects 2SS owners, it makes sense to only ask 2SS owners for help. If the problem could affect other people, we should include them in the discussion. This prevents confusion for people who don't know any better.

Why was this thread posted? I want to avoid confusion for new members who might not know, for instance, that a 1SS might have the Boston Acoustics system available or the very same Pirelli tires. Camaro5 is a community that is designed to share information. I'm trying to make sure that the information provided is correct.
I got it... didn't realize people were directing questions that way. thanks for clearing it up!

I agree, if you have a problem, just be vague. If someone called out "1LT/RS owners help"... I'd stay away... but if it was a question about halos... well thats just "RS"... totally understand now.

I still think you over thought it and put a lot of time in it but it does make sense.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I got it... didn't realize people were directing questions that way. thanks for clearing it up!

I agree, if you have a problem, just be vague. If someone called out "1LT/RS owners help"... I'd stay away... but if it was a question about halos... well thats just "RS"... totally understand now.

I still think you over thought it and put a lot of time in it but it does make sense.
Besides the issue of etiquette, this also helps clear up some of the features that are unique to the 2SS model. This could save some member thousands of dollars if they decide that the 2SS contains unnecessary features. For instance, Camaro5 members who want Pirellis and a Boston Acoustics system know they won't have to go the 2SS route because both can be theirs on a 1SS. Alternatively, people who want leather seats in their V8 will be able to read this list and find that leather exclusively appears on the 2SS. At the very least, this guide corrects the misconception that the 2SS is the only desirable V8. Hopefully, enough people view this to learn something. Maybe some mods will find something here to add to the Wiki since I am in no position to edit Camaro5's definitive source of information, as much as I'd like to be.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Yeah, I've noticed all the posts specifying "2SS" when the issue being discussed would affect a 1SS as well, and it bothers me just because I'm anal and like to see people use the correct words/terms/names. Not sure if this thread will have any effect on this, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has noticed it...

Tags
camaro 1ss, camaro 2ss, camaro ss, features