Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
dakota74

Drives: 2014 Summit White; 2SS/RS
Sway bar setting

Hey all

So I have a 14 2SS/RS.

BMR front and rear adjustable sway bars.

The other day I adjusted the front sway all the way to the last hole (away from the bar).

I drove it and took a turn and the whole ass end spun out from under me.

What happened and what adjustment do I need to make on the rear

Ideally I'd like super stiff. Stiffest.

Thanks!!
dakota74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
You adjusted it to full soft. This makes the front to grip better than the rear, in other words it made the car oversteer.

Oversteer is the rear tires loosing grip first.

Currently, what is the rear bar set at?

If you go more stiff at the rear it will make this worse. At this point, Do Not go any stiffer in the rear. You may already be full stiff in the rear. If you are, and you want both ends stiff, stiffen the front bar. But, all stiff front and rear, may not be what your car wants.

I didn't write the following, but it is a good overview:
Tuning advice

Just like spring rate, you want to run as soft an ARB as possible while maintaining sufficient control of the car and body roll and the proper handling balance. Softer settings lead to more compliance and more grip on that end of the car. They also tend to be slower responding and easier to drive, but stiffer settings can be more stable and faster responding.

Front:
(1) Stiffer: Will increase overall car stability (reduces roll) and shift the car’s balance toward UNDERsteer (push), thus allowing the driver to be more aggressive with the steering. The compromise can be on bumps and/or braking. A stiffer front bar will reduce compliance, so when one tire hits a bump the entire front axle will be affected through a loss of overall grip.
(2) Softer: Allows more roll and will shift the cars balance toward OVERsteer (or less UNDERsteer.) And the front will improve in compliance, which improves performance in brake zones and over bumps.

Rear:
(1) Stiffer: As you add throttle through the corner while the steering wheel is still turned, the rear anti‐roll bar becomes very effective. Stiffening the bar supports the rear and shifts the balance to less UNDERsteer at corner exit. Again, the compromise is in compliance; a possible SNAP or FLAT OVERsteer may result if rear anti‐roll bar is TOO stiff.
(2) Softer: Allows more roll at the back of the car, which will be most evident at corner exit. If the bar is TOO soft, the car will exhibit exit OVERsteer. In this case, compared to a rear bar that is TOO stiff, the exit OVERsteer condition will be more gradual instead of a snap, hence the phrase “roll OVERsteer.”

Name:  Antiroll_Bar2.svg.png
Views: 380
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 12-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
dakota74

Thanks s I have.

So, my rear position is the third setting. That's the hole closest to the bar.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Your rear is at the hole closest to the bar as showing in the "stiffer" diagram above (upper left corner picture) correct?

Do you use the car as a street car only? Drag race? Road race?

To err on the safe side do not keep your current settings ( full soft front, full stiff rear).

You said you want a stiff set up, to do this adjust your front bar to full stiff. But like I
mentioned, your car may not be optimum, and it may not do well over bumps, potholes, bridge expansion strips, and surface roughness, especially if your encounter these thru a corner. It will want to skate over them. Too stiff limits corner compliance.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
dakota74

Yes that is right. Stiffer setting.

And yes it is only a street car.

What I want, is to make a turn like I originally mentioned without the ass end literally getting away from me and ending up with me sliding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Your rear is at the hole closest to the bar as showing in the "stiffer" diagram above (upper left corner picture) correct?

Do you use the car as a street car only? Drag race? Road race?

To err on the safe side do not keep your current settings ( full soft front, full stiff rear).

You said you want a stiff set up, to do this adjust your front bar to full stiff. But like I
mentioned, your car may not be optimum, and it may not do well over bumps, potholes, bridge expansion strips, and surface roughness, especially if your encounter these thru a corner. It will want to skate over them. Too stiff limits corner compliance.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
dakota74

Well now reading the post you put up, what I would like is the setting where I would have zero car slide from the rear when I do a turn. Like I said, with the setting on the rear at full stiff, the car whipped around on me

What would be the combo where it would give me a nice ride, not feeling every bump or gap in the road.

That is what I want now after reading your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota74 View Post
Yes that is right. Stiffer setting.

And yes it is only a street car.

What I want, is to make a turn like I originally mentioned without the ass end literally getting away from me and ending up with me sliding....
Old 12-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
dakota74

Ok correction. The front sway is in the middle setting of the three holes. MIDDLE