Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #127
iwanttogofastNY

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
double sided tape?????

not sure how that would hold up at 80mph
and if it did, not sure what it would do to the paint!!
iwanttogofastNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #128
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttogofastNY View Post
double sided tape?????

not sure how that would hold up at 80mph
and if it did, not sure what it would do to the paint!!
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/3m-do...ided-tape.html

It won't damage paint. How do you think people are able to take off the emblems from their car without causing damage?
UCI CamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #129
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
I've lived in California my whole life, in the SF bay area.

For the first few years I had my 300zx, I had no front plate, like literally, I didn't even own one. I had gotten pulled over couple of times for random little things, but I had never been bothered about my plates.

ONE NIGHT a few years ago .. I was in a popular street racing area in Oakland (I was there to watch, not to race, but now even watching is not worth it), and the police came by. I wasn't speeding, wasn't racing, just driving through, and the cops stopped me. He didn't tell me why I was being pulled over, he just got out, and thoroughly inspected every inch of my car looking for illegal mods of which I had none, just some suspension parts.

He then came up to me and told me "I'm gonna write you a ticket for not having a front plate." and gave me a little lecture about street racing.

Turns out, the front plate ticket is only a "fix it" ticket, which is a $10 fee if you fix it, and $100 if you don't. I ended up having to order a new plate and drill into the fascia of my car .. terrible.

So, I would say, at least for Nikki's Camaro, I think we'll just leave the plate off the front until a cop says something about it, then probably have it mounted off center.

But her Camaro didn't come with plates! They should come in the mail in the next few days though.
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #130
iwanttogofastNY

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
that is a good option too, even says it in the description!, although i don't like the sight of the plate in general on the front, takes away from the car, which is why i liked the electric hide-a-way one i posted.
iwanttogofastNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #131
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Massachusetts Update

I picked up my car on Saturday - Sans front plate. However in Massachusetts part of the inspection process is to check to see if the plate is attached. if no plate, no inspection sticker. Real problem

However my unnamed on here dealer gave me a wink wink. Double sided tape, mount it across the street from the dealer on Monday just before coming in for inspection. They will look to see it there, but not test to see if it's attached well...wink wink.

I now have inspection sticker and no plate at least for the first year. I think I'll hit the dealer next year when I have to do it again.
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #132
JulesTX

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Just for everyone's info - I have been pulled over in Texas by the DPS for no front license plate on my corvette. I was given a warning, but not a real ticket. I did finally put the plate on my corvette, but we are going to go without on the camaro for now. We'll see how it goes.
JulesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #133
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
Follow-up -- We tried to install the Altec manual "Show N Go" and as pointed out in other posts the angle of the front fascia is too steep - the bracket the license plate rides on needs to be horizontal and there isn't enough room lower on the fascia toward the air dam to mount it well.

I messaged Altec with the issue and they don't have a solution so far - I recommended a wedge which can be fastened to the notch in the fascia on either side to create a surface the Show N Go bracket could be attached to... I may stop by a fabricator who can do the geometry and see if this can work - the angle needed may make the Show N Go too exposed to be function let alone look good - cost of the custom wedge may make this unreasonable as well. If I get a quote I'll post it.
Contacted a local sheet metal fabricator who will use the attached "sketch" to see if a wedge bracket can be done & not cost a fortune - I also suggested he contact Altec Products to see if they can work a deal if viable - I'll post his response. You can see I sometimes have way too much time on my hands..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf show n go sketch for 2010 Camaro5.pdf (60.3 KB, 196 views)
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #134
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNOLMT View Post
I've lived in California my whole life, in the SF bay area.

For the first few years I had my 300zx, I had no front plate, like literally, I didn't even own one. I had gotten pulled over couple of times for random little things, but I had never been bothered about my plates.

ONE NIGHT a few years ago .. I was in a popular street racing area in Oakland (I was there to watch, not to race, but now even watching is not worth it), and the police came by. I wasn't speeding, wasn't racing, just driving through, and the cops stopped me. He didn't tell me why I was being pulled over, he just got out, and thoroughly inspected every inch of my car looking for illegal mods of which I had none, just some suspension parts.

He then came up to me and told me "I'm gonna write you a ticket for not having a front plate." and gave me a little lecture about street racing.

Turns out, the front plate ticket is only a "fix it" ticket, which is a $10 fee if you fix it, and $100 if you don't. I ended up having to order a new plate and drill into the fascia of my car .. terrible.

So, I would say, at least for Nikki's Camaro, I think we'll just leave the plate off the front until a cop says something about it, then probably have it mounted off center.

But her Camaro didn't come with plates! They should come in the mail in the next few days though.
Actually, in California, the fine for a fix-it ticket has gone up to $25 a citation.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #135
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
When I lived in N.Y. you never saw a car without a front plate. You would be pulled over right away. Here in Connecticut I bet every 10th or 15th car you see on the road has no front plate. Its not strictly enforced even though its required. When I ordered my Camaro I had the dealer put right on the order: "NO FRONT PLATE OR DEALER LOGO".
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #136
shane

Drives: Lincoln Towncar
Quote:
Originally Posted by navmaxlp View Post
I'm not sure how things are done now but when I was in the Navy (ten years ago), the IDs they used were ridiculously easy to fake. I doubt they would stop using the DoD decal and rely on uniforms and IDs. Talk about easy to get into a facility. I'd say, if there are people there without front license plates, you'd be ok without one as well.
It's not that they were just wanting to rely on uniforms and IDs. They didn't want military personel to become potential targets off base. Anyone could spot that decal in town somwhere, and immediately know that the person driving it was military affiliated. I know this is true, because I read the official policy update they sent out. This was about a year ago that they made the change.

I did notice that when I'm following somebody on base who doesn't have a front plate, they walk to the back to look at it, so maybe it will be good. I think I might ask one of the gate guards next time I go on base to see what they say.
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #137
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
It takes so much away from the front features of the car that I am willing to risk getting a ticket. By me it is like a 25 dollar fine and won't even show up on your DL.
Same here. I think of my last 7 vehicles I owned only one had the plate on it. I have never been sited for it. *knocks on wood*
Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #138
Luny

Drives: Future Camaro
which would be better for inspection? double sided tape or velcro?
Luny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #139
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luny View Post
which would be better for inspection? double sided tape or velcro?

I'd love to hear the explanation to the officer why the velcro...
Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #140
NeedMyFix
The countdown has begun..

Drives: 1997 Z28/2003 SoftTail
Living in NJ you must have a front plate, but hell I ain't attaching mine. Dealer told me he will definitely keep it off. To all those who want to install it, I suggest you get that heavy duty velcro stuff they use to attach your EZ pass transponder to your windshield. Anyone in NJ who has an EZ pass account will know what I'm talking about. Looks like it would do the trick to me.